Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I've Been Hit!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I've Been Hit!

Went outside this morning to see the drivers door on my 91 runner has been destroyed. Looks like it took a good hit from a PU backing up.:pat: I figure I will look for a replacement that already matches the color.
It is that green/gray metallic paint code #179- anybody know of one in a salvage yard? I have already searched a bunch of places online. It would be sweet to just bolt on on be done with it. Even if the color is off hue due to fading it will work, my truck has 160,000 miles and is starting to rust a bit on the fenders. Avoiding body shop hassle and down time would be excellent.
I'll try to post a pic of the damage tomorrow.

thanks in advance
reldnew
Old 04-07-2003, 11:47 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry to hear of that.
For online places you tried these two also?
www.yotayard.com
www.nix99.com

Any chance you can find out who did this and match it up to their vehicle?
Old 04-07-2003, 12:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agreed - I'd try to find out who did it then call the cops. Leaving the scene of an accident is pretty big....

Story time ---
I WATCHED that happen in front of me where I was parked, getting ready for one of my classes. A brand new BMW suv of some kind (being driven by a med student) came barreling in to a parking space (the space was right across facing me) and knocked the stuffing out of the driver's side quarterpanel of a late '90's models car of some kind. (The parked cars damage, I'd estimate to be around 500-1000.) The BMW driver backed up, looked at his BMW carefully - saw minor damage, and never even LOOKED at the other car. The stupid med school student quickly backed out him BMW and parked 4 spaces down and walked to class.

I was like, "Bull**** you ******* a**hole!" I walked over to the BMW, recorded the license plate number, vin #, and description as well as location in the lot, then left that in a note on the damaged car's windshield. I also told him that if he needed any help I was more than willing to make a court apperance to testify if it came to that. Fortunately for the med student, it did not....

Why did I do that? Because Ive been in your shoes and someone didnt want to be held accountable for their actions when they dented my brand new bumper... And because it was the correct thing to do. I hate dishonest people.

[/tirading, pontificating rant]

But try to find out who did it....

Steve
Old 04-07-2003, 01:32 PM

Unhappy I've looked around a bit

The first thing I did was walk all over the 4 block area around my place and look for a red lifted vehicle. It left red paint and hit my truck in the middle of the door, which is pretty high up, so I figure PU or SUV. I've got a few more neighbors to talk to also. I'll keep you updated.
Reldnew
Old 04-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

Good on you Bump. I'd do the exact same thing if it was me. People have no respect for others property. Daddy probably bought him the Beemer so he doesnt give a s#@*. The car he hit probably belonged to some poor student without a cent!

Delboy
Old 04-07-2003, 06:43 PM

I totally feel you. I had taken my Runner to this car wash where they detail the car too. After dropping it off, I went inside to wait. On a whim, I stepped outside, just in time to see a Silverado being backed into my Toy. Before I could get over there, the employees just kinda looked at each other and tried to drive off! I said to myself "Oh hell no, they're not going to get away with this..." and caught them. A "little bump" as they put it cost $900 to fix...and then they broke my antenna in the wash!!

Sucks to be the guy driving the Silverado. He had just moved to the US from Afghanistan 2 weeks prior, and it was his second car on the day to do this to (The other one was a BMW...$1900 worth of damage!!!!)

Man, body work gets spendy QUICK!

Sorry to hear about the bump and run...hope you find a replacement quick...and can slap the pricetag on the other guy...
Old 04-09-2003, 08:47 AM

Thumbs down Pic of damage

First estimate from respected Toy/Chevy dealer bodyshop is $1150.00 for factory door and paint including front fender and pass door to insure match.

here it is:
Attached Thumbnails I've Been Hit!-doordent2.jpg  

Last edited by Reldnew; 04-09-2003 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

That sucks! Hope you can find the person who did it. Any chance of talking to neighboors to see if they saw anything?
Old 04-09-2003, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by Corey
Sorry to hear of that.
For online places you tried these two also?
www.yotayard.com
www.nix99.com

Any chance you can find out who did this and match it up to their vehicle?
i'm going to 2nd Corey on the Yota yard, I live in Colorado and have been there 3 times and they are awsome!!! They don't jerk you around!
Old 04-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

That is why I added them to our Vendor section here.

They seem to be real up front and good to do business with.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope you find the bastard.

Got a similar story like Bumpin's:
My wife and I were walking to Chili's for dinner one night when we saw this guy park his Benz in the firezone (we'll call his Benz the "Firezone Benz") so he could drop off his stupid videos inside the video store. In the firezone it says "NO PARKING---FIRE ZONE" but this lazy a-hole decided to park there anyways.

Perpendicular to his spot, this little old lady backs out of her old diesel Benz and hits the Firezone Benz right on the driver's side. At this point, about 6 or 7 of us are watching to see what the old lady will do. Well she gets out, surveys the damage, calmly gets in and TEARS OUTTA THERE LIKE A BAT OUTTA HELL!

Fortunately for Firezone Benz, I got the old lady's plates. The guy comes out and is cussing up an ebonic's storm. I tell the guy, "Listen, you're pretty lucky that I got the plate of the lady that hit you but don't think for a second that I'm not going to tell your insurance agent and the cop that you were parked in the red zone".

Both the police and both company's insurance agents called me up so they got the straight scoop. I have no idea what the outcome is, but you know, I hope both of those a-holes got what they deserved.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 04-09-2003 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Try Tap Recycling...just kidding. Mr. T pity's the fools a Tap Recycling.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:40 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Tap...

505 replies since 2000.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:41 AM
TOR

door panel

Email me your VIN and I can tell you what a whole door or just a door skin would cost you if you can't find one in a yard.

Todd
Old 04-09-2003, 05:50 PM

Re: Tap...

Originally posted by Corey
505 replies since 2000.
Make that 506
Old 04-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Ahh, make that...

Five Zero Seven
Old 04-09-2003, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5

Fortunately for Firezone Benz, I got the old lady's plates. The guy comes out and is cussing up an ebonic's storm. I tell the guy, "Listen, you're pretty lucky that I got the plate of the lady that hit you but don't think for a second that I'm not going to tell your insurance agent and the cop that you were parked in the red zone".

Both the police and both company's insurance agents called me up so they got the straight scoop. I have no idea what the outcome is, but you know, I hope both of those a-holes got what they deserved.

Bob
He was found at fault. He was ilegaly parked. Bet that sucks..
Byt then again..

Old 04-09-2003, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

I bought a 2000 4Runner part from TAP. They were the ONLY one to even have one.

Dash clock. Toyota wants $212.00

TAP $40.00

Tough call.

Showed up and is still going strong.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hey reldnew...

have you tried taking the doorpanel off and kicking the skin back out with your foot?? or go grab a plunger and pull it out, it may pop back into satisfactory shape for ya--that is unless you want a new door skin--which isnt too much anyways. Same crap happened to me, i went to a club and came out at 3 am and someone had totalled my tacoma and drove off, i got an estimate of 5000 dollars to fix it!!!! the insurance wanted to total my truck or i pay to fix it, lucky i know people in the bodywork buisness. Its fixed now, but i still would just absolutely beat the hell out of the person that ran into my parked truck at like 30mph and drove off.

Tim
Old 04-10-2003, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw a trick once. Take off inner panel and put a deflated basketball inside the door. Pump it up (by hand to control it) and the dent may pop out OK.

Quick Reply: I've Been Hit!