Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

It's Supercharger time!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's Supercharger time!

Hey everyone, The time has finally come to install a TRD Supercharger on my 2000 4Runner. Actually the supercharger has been sitting , brand new in it's box, for a few months in my basement while I got some cash together to buy a 2.2 Supergrip pulley and the URD fuel upgrade kit. It was killing me to walk that box. It's finally here!!! I wanted to do the whole process at once. Anyone have any last minute advice on the installation? I was thinking of doing the fuel pump and thermostat first and then pulling off the intake. Is the FTC difficult to wire? Did you guys put it in the glove box or another location? Any other parts I should have on hand before I start? Any potential problems to look out for? Just trying to get everything set before I start taking taking her apart. I took a bunch of "pre" pics with my digital camera for the current location of hoses and wires. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about all the questions but I spent a bunch of money on this stuff and want to get it right the first time. I will definitely need some help with the tuning when I'm done. Yotatech is such a great resource for information. Thanks ahead of time,

Rob

And yes I have searched this subject a zillion times
Old 07-07-2006, 09:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Primo
And yes I have searched this subject a zillion times
..then you've seen about everything that we've all said.

Kudos on waiting to do the fuel upgrade at the same time.

Take your time, follow the directions, and it'll all work out.

The gas tank is heavy and clumsy to do alone - find a buddy to help balance it on a floor jack while you get it out. It took me about 2 1/2 hours to do the fuel pump working alone. Like anything else though, I could do it a lot faster the 2nd time.

You may also want to update your user profile so you don't have to answer:
"Hey, where are you in the world? I'd bet you could find someone to come help!"
Old 07-07-2006, 10:36 AM

I will definitely update the profile. It looks like , unfortunately, like I will be dropping the tank by myself
Old 07-07-2006, 11:02 AM

...It looks like, unfortunately, like I will be dropping the tank by myself
Bummer.

Well, go slow, make sure the truck is on jack stands, and use a floor jack to ease it down. The balance point isn't in the physical middle of the tank, but you;ll see that pretty quick. Run as much fuel out of it as you can, but of course don't waste gas. Just do a bunch of grocery shopping ...

When you pick a height to jack the truck to, remember to factor in the height of the jack plus the height of the tank and relate that to your ground clearance at the frame rails. It sucks having the tank balanced on the jack only to find out that you can't get it out past the rails.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:50 PM

Please let us know what the bottom $$$$$ is on this upgrade.I asked about this a week ago and decided against it,as did quite a few others.I saw that your doing the fuel upgrade,what about the VB?
Old 07-08-2006, 04:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Before you tear apart the intake you may want to go ahead and order the gasket that goes between the SC and lower intake, the part number is in the SC instuctions but not included with the SC kit for some reason. I guess some people just reuse the old gasket, but the FSM shows it to be a non-reuseable item. Also, the 4 gaskets for the fuel rail banjo bolts you have to loosen are shown as non-reuseable items too if you want to do it by the book. To me it's worth the few bucks to get new gaskets.

Last edited by mt_goat; 07-08-2006 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member

Oh sweet I see you've got a supergrip pulley, you may need a puller to get the stock pulley off and a strap wrench to hold the pulley while you loose/torque the nut. Do NOT use an impact gun on the pulley nut.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:47 AM

Thanks for the advice. I think I will go ahead and order the new gaskets before I get started. I have a strap wrench and access to a puller so that should be no problem. As far as the valve body, I am definitely going to send it out in the near future. Cost wise, let's see, the supercharger was $1849 and the fuel upgrade kit plus new pulley from URD was $1200. I already have a Jardine cat back exhaust and had previously installed a transmission cooler. The valve body is not cheap, not sure of the exact cost. Does anyone see a problem with doing the fuel pump and thermostat before the supercharger and driving it that way for a week or so? Thanks to all you guys, this is the kind of information I am looking for. Is the wiring of the FTC a difficult procedure?
Old 07-08-2006, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

The valve body is not cheap, not sure of the exact cost. Does anyone see a problem with doing the fuel pump and thermostat before the supercharger and driving it that way for a week or so?
The VB upgrade from IPT cost me $525 plus shipping (which can be a lot if you're in a hurry).

No problem doing the bigger fuel pump first, the excess just gets returned to the tank.

T-stat shouldn't be a problem either but it is easier to get to the fuel rail bolts with the timing belt cover off, which means the upper rad hose is in the way , which means you may want to drain the coolant then, which means you may want to replace the t-stat while you have the coolant drained... :pat: ,well you get the point. :big2:

Last edited by mt_goat; 07-08-2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:02 AM

Thanks Dale!
Old 07-10-2006, 08:09 AM

Well I picked up the gaskets that Dale suggested and last night I did the fuel pump upgrade. Pretty straight forward. I did snap a bolt that attaches the gas tank skid plate but I've come to expect things like this. I just drilled it out. Other than that, the flare nut for the gas line gave me some trouble and I definitely needed to cut the tubing a bit to attach the new, longer fuel pump. A bit akward with the gas tank on the jack but not a big deal (I had run it almost empty). It took about three hours at a leisurely pace with a few beer breaks. I will hopefully get to the supercharger install this week or next.

Rob
Old 07-10-2006, 08:40 AM

Cool! Rock on man!
Old 07-11-2006, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by spaugh
I know this may be a no brainer, but I suggest you take pictures of your engine before you do the install, its very usefull for knowing where all of your hoses go. just my .02
He already has...

Just trying to get everything set before I start taking taking her apart. I took a bunch of "pre" pics with my digital camera for the current location of hoses and wires.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:21 AM

you might want to think about doing you timing belt and water pump while you have the timing cover off. depending on the milage. you know since you are gonna have the front of thr motor apart.