Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Introduction and Question (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Introduction and Question (kinda long)

Hello,

I've been lurking and learning here for a few weeks and I have a few questions so I thought I should introduce myself. My name is Brandon and my family and I are the proud owners of a '96 4Runner SR5. We owned a '98 SR5 back in '98, but we traded up to a Tundra, then switched to a minivan, and now back to 4Runner (whew!). We should have kept the '98 and it would be paid off now, but "live and learn" as they say. ;-)

First, let me say thanks to everyone for all the excellent information! I've been on the Internet since 1986 and this is one of the best forums I've participated in. I have already installed the Amsoil filter and did the deckplate mod and Dr. Z's silencer removal. Good stuff! Plus, the 4Runner is going in on Friday to have the head gaskets and rear springs checked out so hopefully we'll get some free new parts out of the deal.

Our 4Runner has had one weird quirk since we bought it a few weeks ago and I thought I'd see if it's normal or something I should look into. After every drive, the vacuum canister makes a periodic leaking sound. It makes what sounds like an electrical short for only a quick second and it does it randomly every few seconds for about 5 minutes until it stops. I don't remember our '98 doing that, but maybe it's just the vacuum pressure leaking out and is normal. Any ideas?

Also, the passenger side of the rear bumper is dented. Anybody got a good one for sale or know where I can get one cheap? The local junkyards don't have any good newer 4Runners right now so I'm looking for alternatives.

Thanks in advance and I hope to be a more active participant and maybe be able to help somebody else out in the future. Have a good one!

Brandon
Old 11-20-2002, 07:29 PM
Away

Welcome Brandon. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Try these guys to see if they have a bumper piece for you. Good luck in your search.

I'd ask the dealer, since you are taking it in for the head gasket, to look into the vacuum canister conundrum.

Peace!
Dr. Z
Old 11-20-2002, 07:31 PM

Hey Brandon! I don't have the same vacuum noises you speak of on my '97. I'm sure others here will pipe in w/suggestions for you but I just wanted to welcome you to the board!

Al
Old 11-20-2002, 09:48 PM

Welcome aboard. The good thing about the rear bumper is the 3 piece design. I smashed the middle section on mine and swapping it out was easy and I'm sure a lot cheaper than buying a 1 piece bumper. The end pieces were kinda cheap. As the Doc sez, ask the dealer about the canister noise...sounds wierd. Good luck and have fun.
butnut
Old 11-20-2002, 10:06 PM

hey brandon, welcome to the board and is the sound your hearing a buzzing sound?? periodic bzzzz. bzzz....if so, i know why you hear it...i asked toyota the first day i bought mine and they said that it's some type of vacuum suckin the left over gas out of the engine or something...bottom line is that it's normal...hope that helps...if JAY can chime in and help me out, that'd be really great...
Old 11-23-2002, 10:18 PM

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

I just wanted to follow up with what the dealer said about the buzzing sounds after driving it. They confirmed that it is part of the emissions control system and it is the sound of extra fuel vapors being sucked back into the tank. They too mentioned that it was normal and that the noises are louder on some rigs than others.

They checked the 2 recall items and said the head gaskets on our 4Runner are the newer ones and did not need to be replaced, but the springs were not so we got the new springs installed. The ride seems to be a little better now, but that may just be my mind playing tricks on me trying to live up to expectations. They did find one of the front struts was leaking a little so I'll probably be doing a Bilstein upgrade in the near future.

Take care all!

Brandon
Old 11-23-2002, 10:54 PM

Don't ya just hate it when they say a noise is normal? :rolleyes: Good deal on the springs. I may have to wait till my shocks die...I'm over 90K and they are still factory crappy.
butnut