Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Interior Spare Tire Mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah that is true. I think my next set will be on 15" wheels anyways.

Either way I am in.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

I would prefer a telescoping mount
Ill find out how much more that will cost.

With people running MTs, ATs, 15"-16"-17" wheels, and differnt brand tires...i just don't see how a stationary mount will work for everyone.
its not the size or type of tire, as said earlier, a 285 is about the biggest you can fit standing up, and the size of the wheel doesnt matter, we all will have the same bolt pattern, so thats not an issue.
as you can see in the bend of the tube, and where the wheel mounts, it doesnt matter if you have an AT or MT tire.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Banned

Ah yeah your right about the wheel size, not sure what I was thinking. . . long day
Old 12-03-2006, 04:40 PM

when I first read this post last week it made me rethink my original idea of a
swing out carrier. there's a trail of the power lines that i ride my bike on i've seen a burned out blazer and it had a interior tire carrier so saturday morn took my tools and the dog (with orange vest on since its hunting season)
retrieved it. put it on today, removed a body mount bolt, bolted down the tire carrier to it. still neet to fab a support for the front bolt, but tire fits perfect and only moves alittle so won't be wheeling until the support is made.

will post pics monday or tuesday

Woody oh and free after about an hours work
Old 12-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ric
its not the size or type of tire, as said earlier, a 285 is about the biggest you can fit standing up, and the size of the wheel doesnt matter, we all will have the same bolt pattern, so thats not an issue.
as you can see in the bend of the tube, and where the wheel mounts, it doesnt matter if you have an AT or MT tire.
I'm not understanding.
If theres a 1/2"~ difference in tire size (common with different brands/types) hows it going work for everyone if it's stationary? The tire/spare weight needs to be supported by the floor. If it was built for a 33.1" tire, then a 32.9" tire isn't going to be touching the floor....or reverse that sceario and the bigger tire wont fit. I wouldn't trust a wheel-well to support the entire weight of a big spare. Also, i think wheel size does matter because tire sizes become slighty different.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Im going to check with Jed, to see how much a telecoping carrier will cost...

just wait till mine is done
Old 12-03-2006, 05:37 PM

the blazer mount i got has a 3.5 or 4" slot running vertical and fits a 1/2 " carrage bolt. only need one bolt, and would fit many different tire sizes.

Woody
Old 12-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

the blazer mount i got has a 3.5 or 4" slot running vertical and fits a 1/2 " carrage bolt. only need one bolt, and would fit many different tire sizes.
cool thankx for posting, i was gonna try to explain that this will, fit many different types of tires and sizes, since we are all running the same bolt pattern. it will be high enough off the floor.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

If a 285 is the biggest tire that can fit vertically...then as long as it's not bigger; which it can't be and still be standing up, then you're okay.

If x is the tire you have then as long as x < 285 you're fine...which it has to be.

You could be mounting a spare tire from your girlfriends Corolla and still be fine, the mount will be strong enough, atleast I would hope, to hold a tire off the ground.

I also agree that the mount may not be as strong if mounted on the wheel-well.

It will all come down to what happens in Ric's rig.

As Ric said, check with Jed and see what the $$ difference is. I think either way I would still like a stationary one, maybe he could produce both if we had enough interest in the product.

Thanks for the hard word Ric, still can't wait to hear what the final ruling is.

Fink
Old 12-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
I will say though that a 285 is as tall as you can go. Mine fits fine but anything bigger may have trouble.

Actually not true, I can stand my 35's vertically in the back and have plans on making a tire mount to hold the wheel on the left side....
Old 12-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

lol, well...let's just see what Jed says about the whole telescoping thing...I would still prefer mine to be stationary...I won't be going to 35's ANYTIME soon.

Fink
Old 12-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BruceTS
Actually not true, I can stand my 35's vertically in the back and have plans on making a tire mount to hold the wheel on the left side....
Hey Bruce how you been. I was refering to the tire size with the roll bar. The top tube takes up some space and then since the top bar is flat and the roof is not there is some wasted space in the middle between the top of the top tube and the roof.

I am sure that without the tube in the way you are perfectly correct.

Bumpers??????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????
Old 12-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Contributing Member

I'm only putting forth a concern/discussion.

Originally Posted by Ric
it will be high enough off the floor.
Thats exactly what i don't want. Tire should be on the floor.

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
If x is the tire you have then as long as x < 285 you're fine...which it has to be.
Only if you believe the fender well is strong enough to support a heavy spare.

You could be mounting a spare tire from your girlfriends Corolla and still be fine, the mount will be strong enough, at least I would hope, to hold a tire off the ground.
Yeah, a 265 or smaller i might trust but think about how much a MT 285 tire with a steel rim weighs!

I also agree that the mount may not be as strong if mounted on the wheel-well.
Thats exactly my point.

IMHO, If you off road, suspending a big and heavy spare from the fender well is only asking for trouble. Soon as you have a nice side "jolt" to either side, that sheet metal will bow/bend. Only way to make it strong enough would be to add a brace/plate under the wheel well that the bolts would go through....even then i don't think it would be strong enough to keep suspended for off-road.

The tire in this picture is on the floor, how it should be....
http://www.trail-gear.com/bbs/fj80/10.jpg

With a roll bar, it's not an issue for two reasons....1) the spare sits on the floor and 2) the roll bar is attached at four points on both sides of the truck...
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...gowithtire.jpg

I can think of 3 or 4 different designs that would make this "new" Spare Tire Mount fully adjustable to fit tires from a 31" to a 35" so that no matter what size you have, it will always be rested ON the floor. And it wouldn't rattle.

Is anyone with me on this?
Old 12-04-2006, 04:00 AM
Contributing Member

Absolutely!

It needs to be on the floor. The way I see it the mount (roll bar or other) is there to steady the tire. If the floor is supporting the weight then all you need a mount to do is hold it still which is a lot easier to do than suspend it.

It seems like it would be difficult to make a bracket the adjusts to the exact size of a rim and tire combo without actually measuring it. They could made it telescoping but without holes, then you drill it for your specific use when you are installing it in your rig. You will have to drill holes in the floor anyway. Mock it all up with the tire and drill it. Bolt it with some quality nyloc hardware and be done with it.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:44 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

They could made it telescoping but without holes, then you drill it for your specific use when you are installing it in your rig. You will have to drill holes in the floor anyway. Mock it all up with the tire and drill it. Bolt it with some quality nyloc hardware and be done with it.
very, very good idea....

Only if you believe the fender well is strong enough to support a heavy spare.
Jeds will have atleast 5 mounting holes on the base plate, so no need to worry if the fender well is strong enough to hold all the weight.

I can stand my 35's vertically in the back and have plans on making a tire mount to hold the wheel on the left side....
awesome, thankx for posting it, now i dont have to find one and try it out thats one less headache lol
Old 12-04-2006, 10:09 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

update:
ok guys, I just got done visiting with Oleg, for those that dont him, he is very respected in the toyota community, a great body shop, and does awesome custom work.
Anyways, I was talking to him also about the tire carrier, he said as pictured, it wouldnt be a good idea, the 4runner wheel wells are alot thinner than the Land Cruisers, and that with 4wheeling, it over time would probley tear up the wheel well.
He could make a support bar, that would be mounted to the pillars, just below the window, or to the roof, that (in his opinion) would be the best for long term, but that would cost more.
He did say that he would draw up some plans, and let me know what he thinks would work good for the 4runners, and be durable.

I can/will still talk to Jed, and see what his opinions are.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

What's the word Ric?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

"just" got off the phone with jed, and after talking to him, and Oleg, we will diffenatly need to support the tire mount, as the 4Runner wheel well is not as thick as the Land Cruiser, I was hoping this would be something simple and easy to get done, lol what was I thinking, lol.
Anyways, Jed and i was talking about making it simular to whats been posted, but will try to run a support bar to the pillar, where the seat belt attaches, and this will bring up the cost, and i have to take my rig down to co. springs, so that we can plan out some options. so if any of you have any ideas or plans and want to share them, that would be awesome.
Jed did say that he has some ideas, as we have talked about this for about a year now for my rig.
we will keep you all posted.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Which seat belt mount are you talking about? The ones for the rear seats or up on the actual pillar? Would this require cutting a hole in the pillar? If so that really stinks...I was hoping to keep it as stock as possible inside.

Either way, can't wait to see what you guys draw up.

Keep us posted man!

Fink
Old 12-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Im not sure exactly which one Jed is talking about,

I was hoping to keep it as stock as possible inside.
you and me both.. as soon as i can get down there, Ill have a better idea of what he is thinking.

Quick Reply: Interior Spare Tire Mount