Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Interior Mod - Amber Map Lights (not a revolutionary idea)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Mod - Amber Map Lights (not a revolutionary idea)

Well some recent discussions got me thinking about having amber lights for the forward map lights. I have alway found those lights bright and annoying when I'm driving at night. So the thought of amber lights seems like a good idea.

Rather than hassle with installing amber LED's next to the map lights, or wiring anything new, I went ahead and used some stuff I had lying around to convert my map lights to a nice amber glow.

These pics were taken at the same exposure setting - so you can see that the amber lights are still somewhat bright enough to read - but are much softer on the eyes than the bright white lights. (especially at night)

So what did I do:

I think there are all sorts of variaties of colored films out there - but what I had on hand was a yellow and red xerox transparencies. when overlaied with eachother Yellow and red make amber (or close to amber anyway). Since these are heat resistant to go through a copiers - I assume they will hold up to the heat of the bulb- at least for short periods of time.

I cut out pieces out and taped them into the light console with a few small pieces of scotch tape - and viola! Amber lights!

Like I said - not a revolutionary - but quick, cheap and easily undoable if need be.

Mojo
Old 01-22-2003, 07:13 PM

Cool idea! The film may fade over time from the heat but as long as it's not touching the glass it should be ok.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:28 AM

Very cool idea. You could make even your dome lights that color as well. It would be a matching interior. :fireman:
Old 01-23-2003, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

That's an awesome mod.. Hmm blue interior lighting as well in my runner there's a thought?
Old 01-23-2003, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

I Like It!

Changed my gauges to red during my SR5 swap for the same reason, night vision. Am happier with the results than I thought I would be, they dissapear more when you look away. Gotta find some of that stuff and do the driver's maplight (also an SR5 swap), the passenger one doesn't bother me. Nice mod, cool fix. I will be doing this soon. D!
Old 01-23-2003, 06:39 AM

excellent idea mojo. thanks for sharing. ah, just another project to add to the growing list.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:53 AM

Heheh - I'm glad you guys like it. You know another alternative to Transparencies might be using Filters that they place over stage lights. This stuff comes in High Temperature - so it will resist heat more. And there are a multitude of colors - I think a green light might be kinda "techy" spacy.

http://www.leefilters.com/LP1.asp?PageID=31

Mojo
Old 01-31-2003, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Mojo thanks again for this idea. I had some leftover folder material that I did my Blinkers with and I cut out some pieces and put up there tonite. I have the PIAA Xtreme white bulbs in there and them suckers would about make you run off the road if you turned them on while driving. They are much more managable now and they give off a cool blue light too! This blue lighting is getting outta hand on my truck.. Now if I could only figure out how to change the light in my drivers side window switch I'd be set!
Old 01-31-2003, 12:24 PM
Contributing Member

Did my heater switches, was really easy, popped right off, had to spend some time cutting three films to fit, and popped back on. Then of course I put my finger right through the face. Other than the round crack it looks really cool, better than the red in the gauges...
The thicker folder plastic is a good idea too as long as they are bright enough since you can't thin them out... That might even reinfoce the heater face plate too... :rolleyes:

I think my map light is definately too hot for this...

Last edited by dajabr; 01-31-2003 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:03 PM

Hey,
another idea is to go to a place that does lighting for concerts and shows and get a couple of sheets of roscoe cinegel. We use this stuff to light for films and commercials and it stands up to 18k lights. Very very hot, so I have no problems recommending it for this application.
Steve
Old 02-18-2003, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

I just found a roll of the tail lens repair tape at the parts store, I think that may handle the heat and since it sticks on it should be convenient. Going to try this on the drivers lens of the maplight and see how it holds up.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:09 AM

dajabr what is the SR5 swap?
Old 02-18-2003, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

The gauges from the sr5 installed where the deluxes have just idiot lights. Mainly for tach and oil pressure...

http://www.siestaoff-road.web1000.com/clustertech.html
Old 02-18-2003, 10:16 AM

can you do that with a second gen ? so you can get the reverse glow gauges cuz i have not been able to find any reverse glow gauges for the second gen.?
Old 02-18-2003, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by JLSubThumper
can you do that with a second gen ? so you can get the reverse glow gauges cuz i have not been able to find any reverse glow gauges for the second gen.?
look on ebay. they happen to pop up from time to time
Old 02-18-2003, 10:44 AM

with the ones on ebay will the side gauges have reverse glow or just the tach and spedo?
Old 02-18-2003, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by JLSubThumper
with the ones on ebay will the side gauges have reverse glow or just the tach and spedo?
everything

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6773
Old 02-18-2003, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

JLSubThumper

Those ones aren't rev glo, they are just the generic blue or green indiglos, BUT I did just buy some rev glos for my 2nd gen last week on EBAY from a user named "trendracing" go do a user search and shoot him an email I'm sure he can get you a set. I paid $57 all together with ins shipping to give you an idea.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

hey Mojo...i was just wondering how these were holding up...any fading or what?
Old 02-21-2003, 07:41 AM

So far so good. I only use those map lights for 10-20 seconds at a time - every few days or so - so I doubt there has been much fading. It's not like they are exposed to light for hours on end.

John

Quick Reply: Interior Mod - Amber Map Lights (not a revolutionary idea)