YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2004, 04:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Interior lights don't work, won't start!!! 98 4runner

Help!!! I left my light on in my 98 4runner limited and the battery went dead, so I went to jumpstart the truck and when I hooked up the jumpercables the alarm proceeded to go off. Now when I attempt to start the truck none of the dash lights will go on, power windows will not work, dome lights etc. but the exterior lights will work. Did I blow a fuse or something. Someone please help!!!!

Thanks in advance
Josh
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-17-2004, 04:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Oh....one more thing, the truck will not start!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-17-2004, 05:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to MTL_4runner
Did you hook it up reverse polarity or something?

Do you get any lights at all on the inside when you jump it?

You might try a trickle charger on the battery and check all the fuses to ensure none are blown (both under the dash and in the engine compartment).

1996 4Runner SR5 4X4 Auto

Deckplate Mod, Hayden Tranny Cooler, Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift

Best OBD II scan tool I have used!.

.....and I am AMERICAN!
Old 12-17-2004, 05:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

The battery was hooked up (jumped) correctly, No lights at all in the interior. horn does work. I don't have the remotes for the factory alarm...Would that have anyting to do with it?

Thanks
Josh
Old 12-17-2004, 05:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to MTL_4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd
The battery was hooked up (jumped) correctly, No lights at all in the interior. horn does work. I don't have the remotes for the factory alarm...Would that have anyting to do with it?

Thanks
Josh
If you don't have the remotes that could certainly be a problem.
I would remove the alarm (not that hard to take out) or get new remotes programmed for it.

You might ask the dealer if you drained the battery like you did, would it prevent starting?
I am not sure since I have never tried it myself but I know the viper I have will go off and prevent starting without using the remote.

1996 4Runner SR5 4X4 Auto

Deckplate Mod, Hayden Tranny Cooler, Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift

Best OBD II scan tool I have used!.

.....and I am AMERICAN!

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 12-17-2004 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah sounds like your alarm has starter disable. The alarm may have a Valet switch. which Should let you start it ???
Old 12-17-2004, 06:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
WT

Quote:

Thanks
Josh
My bet is that the factory alarm has disbled your starter and since you don't have the remotes to turn off the alarm the alarm thinks it should disable your starter. May want to just unplug the brain (under drivers seat) and see if it will start after that.
96 4Runner SR5 SC | 3" Revtek Front/OME 891 Rear,Diff/Panhard Drop|AirLift bags|285/75/R16 Nitto Terra Grappler|Eaqle 121 w/TRD Logo|Bilsteins|Cross-Drilled PS w/PF Pads|Silver Reverse Gauges|Custom Grill|Catch-All Floor Mats|Sylvania SilverStar|Weather Tech Visors|Clear Corner/Fronts|Alpine MP3/WMA/CD|99+Headlight/Console Mod|K&N FIPK W/Drycharger|Optima Redtop|Trans-Cooler|Remote Start|PICS|PICS2|
Old 12-17-2004, 06:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Thanks for the quick reply guys! I will try to unplug the alarm unit, but does it make sence that the interior electronics will not work? Is there some kink of main fuse that it could be? Thanks again.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
WT

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply guys! I will try to unplug the alarm unit, but does it make sence that the interior electronics will not work? Is there some kink of main fuse that it could be? Thanks again.
The alarm could also be disabling that stuff to especially the power locks..
worth a try to unplug the brain first and see if it helps any.
96 4Runner SR5 SC | 3" Revtek Front/OME 891 Rear,Diff/Panhard Drop|AirLift bags|285/75/R16 Nitto Terra Grappler|Eaqle 121 w/TRD Logo|Bilsteins|Cross-Drilled PS w/PF Pads|Silver Reverse Gauges|Custom Grill|Catch-All Floor Mats|Sylvania SilverStar|Weather Tech Visors|Clear Corner/Fronts|Alpine MP3/WMA/CD|99+Headlight/Console Mod|K&N FIPK W/Drycharger|Optima Redtop|Trans-Cooler|Remote Start|PICS|PICS2|
Old 12-17-2004, 06:26 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
4runner, 98, alarm, battery, change, dome, fuse, horn, interior, jumped, light, lights, start, truck, work