Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Intake silencer mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 05:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Intake silencer mod

I completed the intake silencer removal mod over the weekend and thought I'd register my evaluation:

LOUD.

However, not loud enough to drown out my wife's complaints about the increased noise ...

It's probably just my imagination, but it seems to have LESS power than before, too.

So, with the supercharger due to arrive in two days, I think I'll probably put the silencer back on so I can hear my new supercharger...

That's my $.02 on the silencer removal mod. If you just want more intake noise, this is the mod for you -- easy, cheap, reversible. If you're looking for a big boost in power to go with that noise, don't get your hopes up.

-- Don
Old 11-25-2002, 05:50 AM

Re: Intake silencer mod

Originally posted by VF84Tomcat
LOUD.

However, not loud enough to drown out my wife's complaints about the increased noise ...

-- Don
That is priceless. Anyhow, thx for posting your results Don. Another guy who's makin' me S/C envious. :mad: Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet on the S/C next year.

Al
Old 11-25-2002, 06:48 AM
Away

You must have done it wrong if you didn't notice any power increase. Also, since you are doing the SC, there really was no point in having done this mod in the first place. :rolleyes:

My .02
Dr. Z

EDIT: I should have mentioned in the write-up that there is no point in opening the intake on an engine unless you intend to open the exhaust side as well. This mod, or any mod remotely like it, works best if you have a free-flow exhaust. Also, did you do the deckplate along with the silencer removal? Or at least the elbow mod? If you are still sucking air thru that restricted elbow, you're choking the engine anyway and nothing you do is going to help much.

The above information applies to adding the SC. you really ought to think about a free-flow exhaust if you don't already have one. Too bad about the wife not liking the noise, the SC adds quite a bit...

Last edited by Dr. Zhivago; 11-25-2002 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I thought I followed the instructions pretty well ... kinda hard to screw up (my compliments to the author )

That's the nice thing about the mod -- simple and reversible. I just need to pick up a short piece of tubing and pop the silencer back in.

Remember, my only source of comparison is my '95 Runner -- the stock '99 was such a drastic increase in performance that I probably didn't notice any increase due to the intake silencer mod.

If the SC installation goes according to Hoyle and I don't drop a wrench into the intake, I'll be quite happy hearing a whine instead of a roar.

BTW, I crawled under the truck this weekend to check out the exhaust -- one cat or two -- and spied only one cat. That's good, right?

So I can order the Jardine exhaust for a single-cat '99. That will give me the purr to go with the SC whine ...

Maybe that will dampen the whine coming from my better half ...
Old 11-25-2002, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, Dr. Z, I did the deckplate mod first. I'm gonna have to start adding a list of all my mods like you big boys do.

My son is arriving here for Thanksgiving on Thursday, and I think the SC installation will be a really nice father/son bonding time. He will probably have his vocabulary expanded exponentially! (terms like FPR, EFI, etc.)

Another thing to remember is that lots of different people contribute to this forum -- gearheads, nerds, youngsters, oldsters -- and what appeals to one may not really benefit everyone else. Some of you might really eat up this roaring intake -- it just doesn't do much for me. I'm an old geezer.

My interest is piqued, however, Dr. Z ... what might I have done wrong in the mod that would NOT have given me a noticable increase in torque? The silencer's out, the tube's in and well-sealed, the EFI was pulled and replaced and the vacuum lines are in place.

Any ideas?
Old 11-25-2002, 07:32 AM

Would this help noise?

All,

In regards to noise (I have done the mod too), could something like this help:

http://www.customtacos.com/ubbthread...5&o=31&fpart=1

This was for cold air and is in a Taco, but it seems you could use dampening (i.e. Dynamat) of some variety than wrap it and see if the loud intake noise is quieted down at all?

Or is all the noise out of the hole in the deckplate?

Just curious.

CB
Old 11-25-2002, 07:44 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Tomcat, you can save some serious coin here.
Your 3rd gen already has 2.50" pipe on it.

TS1 & Glassjaw just both put on the Magnaflow 14" muffler.
It's the same muffler I have, only it's 2.50" compared to my 2.25" one.

The part # is 11226.
I don't have any 3rd gen souud bytes yet on my exhaust page, but I will after Wednesday.
I'm meeting up with TS1 that morning and will record it.

By just putting on the Magnaflow, you will open up your stock exhaust quite a bit, and get some good tunes from it.
I can only imagine how it will sound with both it and the super charger.

Trending Topics

Old 11-25-2002, 07:53 AM
Away

Originally posted by VF84Tomcat
Yeah, Dr. Z, I did the deckplate mod first. I'm gonna have to start adding a list of all my mods like you big boys do.

My son is arriving here for Thanksgiving on Thursday, and I think the SC installation will be a really nice father/son bonding time. He will probably have his vocabulary expanded exponentially! (terms like FPR, EFI, etc.)

Another thing to remember is that lots of different people contribute to this forum -- gearheads, nerds, youngsters, oldsters -- and what appeals to one may not really benefit everyone else. Some of you might really eat up this roaring intake -- it just doesn't do much for me. I'm an old geezer.

My interest is piqued, however, Dr. Z ... what might I have done wrong in the mod that would NOT have given me a noticable increase in torque? The silencer's out, the tube's in and well-sealed, the EFI was pulled and replaced and the vacuum lines are in place.

Any ideas?
Too small of an ID (inside diameter) would have cancelled the benefits. The ID of the tube you used was at least 2.5", yes? Smaller than that and you're going below the stock diameter of the silencer. I just can't imagine you not noticing an increase in power and torque off the line and in the midrange with this mod, especially since you have the deckplate mod, too. How long did you leave it in place? Did you cruise around with it for a while, or just hate it immediately? Also, the noise is only loud at large throttle settings, right? At cruise or idle, you couldn't tell a difference in the noise, right? Or did you not have it on long enough to evaluate it that closely?

Again, this mod works best if you free up the exhaust too. The stock exhaust system is too restrictive to fully benefit from a mod like this. Personally, I think it's a crime to put a SC on an engine and not also replace the entire stock exhaust system from the manifolds to the tailpipe with larger diameter tubing starting with headers...

You're right about the noise not being liked by everyone, which is why I make that disclaimer in my write-up. I hope you enjoy the SC and that it's not too noisy for you or the wife.

Peace!
Dr. Z
Old 11-25-2002, 07:58 AM
Away

Re: Would this help noise?

Originally posted by CBDenver
All,

In regards to noise (I have done the mod too), could something like this help:

http://www.customtacos.com/ubbthread...5&o=31&fpart=1

This was for cold air and is in a Taco, but it seems you could use dampening (i.e. Dynamat) of some variety than wrap it and see if the loud intake noise is quieted down at all?

Or is all the noise out of the hole in the deckplate?

Just curious.

CB
All the noise comes out the hole in the deckplate. The noise is further enhanced by the stock airbox's shape and size. It acts like a megaphone of sorts. A cone type filter without a housing around it won't be as loud since it won't have the resonating chamber around it to amplify the noise.

That header wrap won't help quiet anything, but it might help keep the intake air cooler...

Dr. Z
Old 11-25-2002, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

Corey, there was a post not too long ago that mentioned something about not all gen-3s having the same exhaust diameter -- some 2.25", some 2.5".

I guess I need to crawl back under and measure the pipe diameter (let's see, C=(pi)D, right? THAT was a long time ago...!)

Plus, doesn't the Magnaflow need to be welded in, as opposed to just bolting in a cat-back system?

Thanks for the info, regardless. The exhaust is my next mod after the SC and the tranny cooler. Or, as I tell my wife, my LAST mod...

:rolleyes:
Old 11-25-2002, 08:05 AM
CTB

Ya, the Magnaflow will have to be welded in. Any good exhaust shop can take care of this for you.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:08 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Mine was welded in because I had all new tubes also put on.
Contact TS1 on here, and he can tell you if it was welded on or not.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ight=magnaflow

I think most shops charge about $40 to weld one in place.

I am confused on the exhaust size too. Some 3rd genners say they have 2.25" stock, others report 2.50" stock.
Corey
Old 11-25-2002, 08:27 AM
Away

Originally posted by Corey
Mine was welded in because I had all new tubes also put on.
Contact TS1 on here, and he can tell you if it was welded on or not.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ight=magnaflow

I think most shops charge about $40 to weld one in place.

I am confused on the exhaust size too. Some 3rd genners say they have 2.25" stock, others report 2.50" stock.
Corey
Since I met ts1 just yesterday, I can tell you that he had his welded in.

Can't say for certain about which years have which size tubing, but here is a rule of thumb:

96-00 with a SINGLE Catalytic Converter - 2.25" Tubing
99-02 with DUAL Catalytic Converters - 2.5" Tubing

Note the tubing size only refers to the tubing from the Outlet side of the Cat to the Tail-Pipe.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Old 11-25-2002, 08:40 AM

Re: Re: Would this help noise?

Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
All the noise comes out the hole in the deckplate. The noise is further enhanced by the stock airbox's shape and size. It acts like a megaphone of sorts. A cone type filter without a housing around it won't be as loud since it won't have the resonating chamber around it to amplify the noise.

Dr. Z
I am going to have to disagree with the good Doctor on this one.

The open cone filter is MUCH LOUDER then the modified airbox. The modified airbox does a great job of dampening out much of the inductive pulse from the engine as compared to the cone filter type of setup.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 11-25-2002, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

OK, well I'm off to the muffler shop to check into a Magnaflow 11225.

Somebody please assure me that I won't end up sounding like a Honda Civic ...
Old 11-25-2002, 08:59 AM
CTB

You won't

None of us have
Old 11-25-2002, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

You won't sound like a honda civic. The turbo-style mufflers like the Magnaflow, dynomax, etc. all have a nice low rumble, with the dynomax being a little more raspy. Go check out Corey's exhaust page again, and listen to them, keeping in mind they all sound better in person. Vortex, flowmaster and Flo-Pro are also popular. Its really hard to go wrong. If you read a bunch of old posts on exhausts, what makes everyone happy is just getting that big log stock muffler out of there and putting on something that flows. Good Luck!
Old 11-25-2002, 09:05 AM
Away

Re: Re: Re: Would this help noise?

Originally posted by Gadget
I am going to have to disagree with the good Doctor on this one.

The open cone filter is MUCH LOUDER then the modified airbox. The modified airbox does a great job of dampening out much of the inductive pulse from the engine as compared to the cone filter type of setup.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
That's interesting Gadget. I would have thought exactly the opposite since the open intake on my old Turbo was much quieter compared to the noise my truck makes. But that's probably comparing apples to oranges. I have heard open intakes on some other trucks and they don't seem as loud either.

Oh well. If it's too loud, you're too old!

Dr. Z
Old 11-25-2002, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation

Oh well. If it's too loud, you're too old!

Ouch! Age is relative, Dr. Z ... and speaking of old relatives, my mother-in-law is coming tomorrow night ...

This is a bit off-thread, but I just returned from the closest shop that carries Magnaflow mufflers. In short, to weld in a new Magnaflow and all associated pieces-parts = $125.

For about a hundred bucks more, he'll use a 1-into-2 Magnaflow and fabricate a dual exhaust with tips, kinda like Jason's.

Unless somebody talks me out of it, I think I'll take it in tomorrow and let him do his magic. He says the spare isn't a problem. We'll see ...

Just in time to pick up my mother-in-law from the airport and hear nothing over the roar coming from both the intake AND the exhaust!
Old 11-25-2002, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Cool! A dual-outlet set up would be nice. Most shops are afraid to try it. It doesn't sound like a bad price, either. I'm sure you'll be really happy with it, and it'll be just slightly different, which is always fun.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Intake silencer mod