Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I'm scurd.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I'm scurd.

Scared, actually. I got home from work tonight, parked our work van, and hopped in my truck to go hang out with friends. I let it warm up for a few minutes until I got a reading on the temp guage, and started driving. Then I heard the scariest sound I've heard come from a vehicle that I am behind the wheel of.

It's really hard to describe, I was actually thinking of how I could describe it on here while I was driving.

Here goes: It's like something is making a loud clicking sound every time on of the cylinders sparks/combusts. It is extremely loud when pressing the gas.

I don't know if it's related, but it was mixed with another sound. It's almost like a fan spins, and rubs on something, in proportion with how much gas you give it. And when revving it in neutral, when the RPM's come down, the fan sound slows down, just like the clicking.

Sorry for the novel, but it's really hard to describe. I also got under the hood and revved it, but it's less noticeable there. I could hear it better (louder) while driving. Weird.

Any ideas? :cry:
Old 01-13-2004, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

I know that sometimes the timing chain guides break (i think) on the 22re's. I think I've heard that described as more of a grinding noise and then coolant gets into the oil (?). But what you describe...well I hate to say it, but it kinda sounds like you threw a rod to me.

Good luck because I'm pretty sure this isn't going to be cheap.

Old 01-13-2004, 11:08 PM

Would either of those things make it drive any differently? Cause it drove perfectly, like it usually does, just had a scary sound.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:01 AM

Also, it was fine when I drove and parked it at 6:00, but when I got in and drove it at 9:00, it had the sound. So it (whatever 'it' is) happened while it was sitting, if that makes a difference.

Last edited by tenfourtyeight; 01-14-2004 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:35 AM

I`m not tryin to sound like a smart a$$ but did you check under the hood yet,cause the way you described the sound.
It sounds like fan blades on the radiator /shroud maybe??
just a thought.
Daniel
Old 01-14-2004, 07:22 AM

I also got under the hood and revved it, but it's less noticeable there. I could hear it better (louder) while driving. Weird.
It couldn't be the fan, cause the fan constantly spins. It doesn't spin faster when you press the gas, and it isn't completely stopped when idling. I wish it was that easy.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, an accessory could have a problem. I had a strip of a serpentine belt rip off once and it made a horrible noise that went with the engine rpms.

I guess if your truck is still running ok (and I doubt major engine damage would occur while it was sitting) then maybe it is an easy fix.

You really should go take a look at it.

Old 01-14-2004, 07:31 AM

Yea, I'm going to right now, I just got out of bed, it's 8:30 am. When this happened, it was dark, so I just came home, opened the hood, looked, listened, and planned to do it today.

I'll let you know what I see. Until then, ideas are extremely appreciated.
:pig:
Old 01-14-2004, 07:51 AM

Ok, I started it, looked, listened, and didn't hear the noise. I'm letting it warm up right now, because the truck was warmed up before I heard the noise last night.

I'm also hearing something else that I heard last night, but forgot to mention. It sounds like there is a lot of noise coming from the exhaust manifold. More so than usual. It's actually drowning most of the other engine sounds out.

Any ideas?

Edit: It's warmed up now, and it is making the noise again.

When I have the hood open, and rev it with the throttle cable lever thing on the throttle body, and hold the RPM's (don't have a tach, can't tell ya) it sounds like there is a weedwhacker inside of my exhaust manifold.

And the clicking sound sounds plastic, and I'm sure it's not the metal heat sheild, whatever it's called.

I'm gonna blow up.

Last edited by tenfourtyeight; 01-14-2004 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Did you get your engine really hot before parking it the first time? If you did then maybe it cracked the exhaust manifold and whenever it heats up again the crack gets big enough for exhaust to escape. It might be small enough that it won't leak until warmed up.

Last edited by maherj; 01-14-2004 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

It sounds like you have an exhaust leak to me. It should be a pretty easy fix unless the manifold is cracked. If thats the case, then its time to order that header you've always wanted . If it's just your typical leak (which it probably is), then you will just need to pick up an exhaust gasket (maybe two).

Try holding you hand down by your exhaust manifold and see if you can feel the exhuast gases leaking out.

Good Luck

Old 01-14-2004, 08:18 AM

I didn't get it any hotter than normal, the temp guage goes a little over a quarter of the way up during normal driving, and that's all that I did yesterday. It was really hot yesterday, though. Felt like 80*. In January. :pat:

I have to go to work, so I'll try that when I get home, AgRunner.

Good thing I have an extra vehicle to get to work, so I can make money to fix the main vehicle. It's a sad, vicious little cycle.

Depressing, too.

But I really do appreciate all of the help! Keep ideas coming if you have them.

Last edited by tenfourtyeight; 01-14-2004 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:42 AM

Yea dude, that happend to me, just in my 4runner. I was driving..then all of the sudden it started clanking just like u described. Just a metal to metal sound. Faster with more gas. Etc. Some people have told me that I could have screwed timing. Or bad timing belt. I thought it was a rod, but i havent gotten it checked out yet. It was kinda weird cause I layed on the ground under my truck...and the noise was pretty dang loud under there too..so im wondering it was something stated in the above 2 posts..exhaust manifold. or something with the exhaust. But im not sure. If u find out let me know. Visa versa.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:44 AM

Yea, if I find out I'll definitely let you know. Thanks.

I'm at work right now, I'm working at NoFear with my dad for a few days, and he's at lunch so I'm gonna see how much a header would be, and how much it would be to replace the exhaust manifold. I'm hoping he'll go for headers (that is, if the problem is that the manifold is cracked). I was telling him about the problem, and the suggestions on here, and that headers was jokingly mentioned, and he said, "aren't they illegal?" and I told him no, and he seemed surprised, in a good way. Like it might be a possibility.

Anyways, I write too damn much.

FIN.

Wait a minute- all the headers I could find said not legal in Ca. Are all headers illegal in Ca?

Last edited by tenfourtyeight; 01-14-2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by tenfourtyeight
Wait a minute- all the headers I could find said not legal in Ca. Are all headers illegal in Ca?
I'm pretty sure that Downey makes some 50 state legal headers. I'm sure there is some out there. Are they pretty picky about it down there. I always wondered how they would know since up here they just sniff your exhaust and don't look at anything.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:01 PM

Yea, Ca is lame for vehicles. I guess they have to be, since we have the highest ratio of people to land here, and we'd be coughing up our lungs if they weren't hard on emissions.

What I'm wondering is, what's the difference between 50 state legal headers and normal headers? I don't get it. The only thing I can think of is that the cat. conv. has something to do with it.

So if it is an exhaust leak or cracked manifold, what exactly do I look for, besides feeling around the area for the gasses leaking out?

I'm home now and the engine is cold again, so I'm gonna go look at it.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by tenfourtyeight
What I'm wondering is, what's the difference between 50 state legal headers and normal headers? I don't get it. The only thing I can think of is that the cat. conv. has something to do with it.
So if it is an exhaust leak or cracked manifold, what exactly do I look for, besides feeling around the area for the gasses leaking out?
I don't think there is much different between 50 state legal and non. It just costs money for the manufactors to put their products threw tests to get them certified so many of them don't bother.
If it is cold enough you should be able to see the exhaust but you will probably have to take off the heat shield. (if you have one) If that doesn't work and you can't see a crack I think there is some powder stuff you can get that is supposed to help you find cracks. Not sure what it is called or how exactly it works. Maybe some one else will know more about it. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by AgRunner06
It sounds like you have an exhaust leak to me. It should be a pretty easy fix unless the manifold is cracked. If thats the case, then its time to order that header you've always wanted . If it's just your typical leak (which it probably is), then you will just need to pick up an exhaust gasket (maybe two).

Try holding you hand down by your exhaust manifold and see if you can feel the exhuast gases leaking out.

Good Luck

I agree with AgRunner06 on the source of the problem (exhaust).

As for the hedders I believe they are legal as long as all factory emissions equipment remains in tact and functioning. CA is tough out there so do your homework before paying the $$$$. On the contrary we don't even have an emissions test in Quebec.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:38 PM

we don't even have an emissions test in Quebec.
Lucky.

So, I started up my truck, felt around, did indeed feel some exhaust leakage, took off the heat shrouding, and it's at the back of the manifold. It's almost dark outside, so I have it in my garage, but the lights are making it as light as outside, so I can't see exactly what it is; crack or gasket.

As a side note; those three damn bolts were a pain to get off. I recieved a small puncture wound in the process.

Would I have to get a close look at it to tell whether it's a gasket or a crack, or is there a way to tell?
Old 01-14-2004, 04:56 PM

Nevermind.

The bolt with the arrow pointing to it is gone. It's black around it, because the exhaust was coming out of there.

Last edited by tenfourtyeight; 01-14-2004 at 04:59 PM.