Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

IFS Hub pulling and Hendrix Motorsports puller HELP WTF?!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry IFS Hub pulling and Hendrix Motorsports puller HELP WTF?!!!!!

Well now Im pissed. I bought a Hendrix Motorsports manual hub puller and started to tear my front end down for the Brembos/ PF pads and new bearing job Ive been putting off for MONTHS. Well they didnt tell me when I bought it that it really doesnt do anything for IFS hubs. I started to crank it down and the damn CV and axle pressed through the back side. They really should have put that little bit of info the web site! Now I have to beat my hubs off and Im out $30 for a damn hub puller that is worthless to me at this point. Any words of wisdom to removing the hubs on a 1988 that have never been off? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHH.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

Talking Well at least thats funny...

Originally Posted by Ilovemountains
Well now Im pissed. I bought a Hendrix Motorsports manual hub puller and started to tear my front end down for the Brembos/ PF pads and new bearing job Ive been putting off for MONTHS. Well they didnt tell me when I bought it that it really doesnt do anything for IFS hubs. I started to crank it down and the damn CV and axle pressed through the back side. They really should have put that little bit of info the web site! Now I have to beat my hubs off and Im out $30 for a damn hub puller that is worthless to me at this point. Any words of wisdom to removing the hubs on a 1988 that have never been off? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHH.

Beat my hubs off
Old 01-07-2005, 02:43 PM

tap on them with a rubber mallet, and make sure you get the cone retainer things out to.

thats all i had to do to get mine off when i last did it. its tough at first cause the gasket and stuff, but just keep tapping and pulling, possible prying with a screwdriver, just dont screw it up@

wade
Old 01-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up I Got One Side!!!!

Well I came in for another beer! I got the driver side off, got the rotor un bolted and got the old races tapped out and the new ones in. It wasnt as bad as I thought. I beat the crap out of the Hendrix puller instead of hitting my hub body. This has turned out a lot easier than the front single bearing that is in a Saab 900 hub thats for sure! I also just realised that my ball joint spacer is up side down so while Im in there I might as well flip it over so it can drain! Ill keep you posted on how this goes.... Matt
Old 01-07-2005, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Hendrix hub puller - used it and it worked just fine on my IFS.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Post Not me!

When I started to crank on it I heard a pop and my CV started pushing back through the hub! The snap ring behind the hub assembly poped out of its channel. I called Hendrix and that's when they told me that the puller was really meant for solid axles. They said it will work on IFS but they have had a lot of calls about this problem on hubs that are really locked on. My rig is a 1988 and the hubs have never been off! Anyway it was still nice to be able to bolt the plate portion of the puller onto the hub and hit it with the hammer not the hub body... I got the drivers side finished up this evening and flipped my ball joint spacer over. When I did my ball joints I couldn't get the one to pop so I took it to a local shop and had them install it, I guess they didn't know what the little cut out was for or which side went down! Oh well the hardest part of the job once I got the hub off was dealing with all of the grease! I used M1 synth and that stuff is red and sticky, which is good but just not fun to work with with! I will hit the passenger side in the morning... anyway have a good one, Im off to ye-ole beer store
Old 01-07-2005, 06:48 PM

Ilovemountains- how far are you from 'Da Burgh?
Old 01-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

Well I can be in Pburgh in say 4 hours 4.5 tops, I just head up to Breezewood and jump on the T-Pike, or I take I70 to 68 and head up past Morgantown WV. Why? Is there something going on up your way?!! I did get my other side finished up this morning and have to say wow, the Brembo / Performance Friction combo is sweet. I think I need to pull the wheels and spray everthing down with some brake cleaner though, I got a little bit wheel bearing grease on my rotors...
Old 01-08-2005, 02:24 PM

Nothing shaking currently, just curious.

Are the Brembos solid vented rotors or are they slotted/drilled?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

solid...

Yeah I got the solid rotors from importcarparts.com I actually just got home with it, I took it down to a river access road that I found while mountain biking last year. You have to drive all the way up to the top of one of the mountains then hit a back gravel road that leads up into some summertime retreat camp then you hit back fire trails and old logging trails all the way down to the river and back up. Not a bad way to spend a 38 degree day!
Old 01-10-2005, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ilovemountains
Yeah I got the solid rotors from importcarparts.com I actually just got home with it, I took it down to a river access road that I found while mountain biking last year. You have to drive all the way up to the top of one of the mountains then hit a back gravel road that leads up into some summertime retreat camp then you hit back fire trails and old logging trails all the way down to the river and back up. Not a bad way to spend a 38 degree day!
hey one day we need to get together and you can show me this drive, sounds cool. We are only a stones throw across the river from each other.