Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

is the iat and the ect temp sensor mod good together

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is the iat and the ect temp sensor mod good together

Wondering if the iat resistor mod and the ect temp sensor mod good together ? I'm seeing ign adv up to 40 when I turn the potentiometer to about 40 degrees ( computer thinks ) but no ping that I can hear. Its a 2002 3.4 taco

Attachment 94277

Attachment 94277

Attachment 94277
Old 09-10-2013, 10:51 AM

ECT mod is pure garbage, and I think the IAT mod is as well.

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech
Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 AM

My truck runs a lot better showing about 40 degrees and timing almost doubles it made about a car length difference while racing a s/c taco I can't say the ect is but iat I don't know but for a poor boy it makes a difference and every lil but helps but I was jus wondering if they was OK together
Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 AM

I know a lot about these truck just don't have the money for big HP lol
Old 09-10-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by raretaco02
My truck runs a lot better showing about 40 degrees and timing almost doubles it made about a car length difference while racing a s/c taco I can't say the ect is but iat I don't know but for a poor boy it makes a difference and every lil but helps but I was jus wondering if they was OK together
If by "running better" you mean idling higher, then yeah, this mod does that. It may even advance timing at idle too (I can't remember). But pretty much whenever you start giving it gas, the effects of this mod are negated. All this mod does is raise the idle speed. It doesn't advance timing anywhere else.

And if you were racing, you should be in open-loop anyways, and this mod wouldn't have any effect.

Here's a more detailed thread I made about this mod here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/e...ations-266907/
Old 09-10-2013, 11:23 AM

You can't tell me it don't when I'm watching it on live data with my box scanner I completely understand what the computer does while in closed loop at about 90% throttle during closed loop at about 4 grand timing is near 30 to 35 and while its showing 90 degrees like I said I know how the comp works just curious if there is pre ign that can't be heard that can be damaging cause when you turn it to about 0 degrees it starts pinging at about 3 grand
Old 09-10-2013, 11:31 AM

You can't tell me it don't when I'm watching it on live data with my box scanner I completely understand what the computer does while in closed loop at about 90% throttle during closed loop at about 4 grand timing is near 30 to 35 and while its showing 90 degrees like I said I know how the comp works just curious if there is pre ign that can't be heard that can be damaging cause when you turn it to about 0 degrees it starts pinging at about 3 grand
Hey pal, you weren't the only one watching live data with this mod. I did this a couple years ago and recorded the data for comparison (between stock and tricking the computer into thinking coolant was colder. I tried different temps). Off idle, it made no difference.

You were pinging at 3K RPMs with the temp set at 0 degrees? I'm sorry, but I don't believe it. I'm not calling you a liar, but please post a video or something showing this. I know if you turn the temp down too far, it'll start bogging and acting weird, but at no point did I ever get pinging when I did this.

And racing another truck as a "comparison" to prove that a mod works isn't even practical. There's too many variables that effect the outcome.

Sorry, I still think this mod is BS.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:31 AM

Its not no riding a wheelie power just a little better pull under load
Old 09-10-2013, 11:40 AM

When shifting gears with temp at 0 it just has a one second hesitation and a rough idle on 87 Oct it does it at about 3 and with 93 it doesn't do it until you turn it to -40 and ping starts about 3 -4 grand let me get of work and take a video I hope u can hear when it does and I will post . But I also have my iat in the -20s that's why I'm asking if there good together because of the ping or I wouldn't have even ask the question on here ( think about it ) I would have just run it .. I also have no converters with 3 inch exhaust .I'm not saying your truck should just saying mine does that's why I posted the question
Old 09-10-2013, 11:44 AM

I don't know if no converters is why or the iat is causing or my bad a/f ratio sensor is the culpert . But it will start the noise at the temp where the computer dosent go into closed loop any more
Old 09-10-2013, 12:25 PM

Its not no riding a wheelie power just a little better pull under load
It feels that way because you're starting out at a higher RPM. My Monte Carlo felt the same way when it sprung a small vacuum leak. Raised the idle some, and made that car feel like it pulled way better. In reality, it was just the raised idle.

Put the ECT temp back to what it should be, and pull a small vacuum line off so that it raises the RPMs just a little bit. Not much, but just a little bit raised. See if your truck doesn't behave the same way as it did with the ECT mod.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:04 PM

Higher idle ? Really so it idling higher knocked 8 mph off a uphill run that I Drive at least once a day . I'm not sure what a high idle or your Monte Carlo has to do with the ping that my truck is doing
Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 PM

I understand what your trying to say but I know what its doin man I appreciate you trying to help me . I'll post a video tomorrow man of everything I hope u can hear the ping I'd say u can cause its bad enough to where I back straight out the throttle to avoid damage
Old 09-10-2013, 02:11 PM

Just wanted to say that the uphill run is also a 45 - 80 run uphill so there is no idle
Old 09-10-2013, 02:34 PM

I took a 5 min video if u will tell me how to post it I will it only shows that I can post pics. May have to put it on youtube
Old 09-10-2013, 02:45 PM

I took a 5 min video if u will tell me how to post it I will it only shows that I can post pics. May have to put it on youtube
I'm not sure. I'd say upload it on YouTube and post a link.

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech
Old 09-10-2013, 03:14 PM

Higher idle ? Really so it idling higher knocked 8 mph off a uphill run that I Drive at least once a day . I'm not sure what a high idle or your Monte Carlo has to do with the ping that my truck is doing
Look, saying that your truck pulls harder up a hill, or pulled harder while racing is NOT an accurate measure of any power gain. There are too many variables that play into all this. Period.

The Monte Carlo reference was simply a personal experience that happened to me, which I believe is being replicated on the 4Runner/Tacoma/what-ever-you-have with this "ECT Mod".

Is your engine not idling higher than when you do this mod?

Last edited by Robb235; 09-10-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:16 PM

There is a bunch of var. I agree but not this much of diff when u can do it on the fly and instintly feel it have you ever thought that my truck is originally running lean cause of bad a/f and no converters and fuel is where the gain is coming from ??? I'd love to have it dynoed again but put all aside just say you believed me and you heard the ping would you think it would be damaging ? Ideas on how to post the vid

. But anyway can u tell me how to post a video id love to show you
Attached Thumbnails is the iat and the ect temp sensor mod good together-forumrunner_20130910_200726.png  
Old 09-10-2013, 04:19 PM

Of coarse it idles up that's the whole concept of the mod is the addition of fuel ???????
Old 09-10-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
You can upload vids to photobucket and post them here as well.

Oh, I'd say give it a try. The IAT mod that is. Both should do slightly different things, as far as the ECU is concerned. The IAT should affect ignition timing more than fueling. The ECT fueling more than ignition timing.

But I've heard neither will work very well, or as they were originally intended to, on OBDII vehicles. They are both said to be much more effective on early EFI/OBDI engines. To achieve similar results with OBDII, generally requires reprogramming the ECU. Since OBDII will usually "relearn" how to use sensor inputs that are "modified". So they say. And like he's been telling you. The electronic controlled IACV will mess with such "tuning" attempts. Unlike a typical OBDI coolant temp controlled IACV, which can't.

Quick Reply: is the iat and the ect temp sensor mod good together