Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I need EMERGENCY help with my 3VZE

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Need Emergency Help With My 3vze!!!

This weekend I took the time to do a lot of work on my ride. I have a 95 4Runner, 2WD, V6 3VZE, 103K miles. I changed the valve cover gaskets, PCV valve and grommet, plenum gasket, and the spark plug wires. I also cleaned the throttle body while I was at it. Everything went fine. I got the intake manifold back on with no problems and the truck ran fine.

Yesterday, it was time for an oil change so I decided to run some engine cleaner through it first. I did that and then changed the oil. When I started the truck, the idle was very low, around 500 RPM. I drove it for the day and didn't have any problems other than the low idle. So I drove to a friend's house about 30 miles away for dinner and then headed home. About halfway home, the engine started knocking something fierce. I mean a LOUD, LOUD knock. I made it home and parked it for the night. I got up this morning and checked all the work I did. I can't find anything wrong. But now the knock is so loud, you can barely talk to another person while standing next to the truck. Everything else is fine. Oil pressure, engine temp, I haven't lost any fluids. Nothing.

HELP!! What could be wrong?!? I'm thinking the engine cleaner knocked something loose that is now blocking oil flow and causing two parts (whatever they may be) to strike each other. Could it be a stuck valve and a piston is hitting it? Any ideas?

And, Lord help me, how much is this going to cost me?

(P.S. Please don't tell me what a dumb idea the engine cleaner was. I've already figured that out. Thanks.)

Last edited by Stump; 03-29-2005 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

How did you put the cleaner in? Did you pour it into the crankcase, TB or suck it in through the intake with a vacuum hose?
Old 03-29-2005, 08:46 AM

It was an additive to the oil. I poured it in the crankcase, ran the engine at idle for five minutes, shut the engine off, drained the oil, and replaced it with fresh oil and a new filter.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you break a rod?
Often if it is that loud there may be a hole in the side of the block.
I can't think of anything else as loud as you describe.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:54 AM

so I decided to run some engine cleaner through it first
This begs the question: why?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

That oil additive cleaner crap sucks it thins the oil and cleans it off of the bearings and other stuff that needs oil. i used to work at jiffy lube years ago and we had to sell that crap to customers. all i did was show it to them and let them know not to buy it. yeah and it was 15 bucks a bottle what a deal. i would recomend cheaking your oil for matalics if there are matalics its probably a bearing. sorry for the spelling errors. good luck
Old 03-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Did you break a rod?
I think MTL might be on the right track. My bet is you didn't re-torque the rocker arms... so a few of the rods just fell out.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hillbilly
I think MTL might be on the right track. My bet is you didn't re-torque the rocker arms... so a few of the rods just fell out.
your kidding right there are no rockers on a 3vze
Old 03-29-2005, 10:58 AM

Did you break a rod?
Often if it is that loud there may be a hole in the side of the block.
I can't think of anything else as loud as you describe.

God, I hope not. I just had the truck towed to a shop and they are supposed to let me know within the hour what the problem is. Will the engine still run with a broken rod? So far, I haven't lost any fluids. I would think I would see a lot of oil if I had a hole in the block.

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
This begs the question: why?
Well, I was doing routine maintenance and such and happened to see the engine cleaner at the parts store. It's "supposed" to clean deposits and improve performance. I figured "103000 miles, I probably need something like that", considering I had just done the throttle body a few weeks ago along with BG44K for the fuel injectors.

My fingers are now crossed as I await the phone call from the shop.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DudeBud
your kidding right there are no rockers on a 3vze
Oops. My bad... I'll shut up now. (3.4 here... so that's what I get for guessing.)
Old 03-29-2005, 11:20 AM

That's no fun man. I just hope that you didn't do what I did to my old truck:

Old 03-29-2005, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The pics above are exactly what you'd see when you break a rod and yes, the engine will still run, for a while anyway. For your sake I do hope it is something else though.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:32 AM

The pics above are exactly what you'd see when you break a rod and yes, the engine will still run, for a while anyway. For your sake I do hope it is something else though.
Correction, most engines will still run. Mine did not, at all. It just stopped. The lower part of the rod (in the pic) got jammed against the block (also in the pics). Not fun, but it was a good learning expirance. Plus my old truck got a new engine!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:03 PM

UGH.

Those pictures don't make me feel good at all. I'm praying that I did not break a rod.

I am praying, praying, praying that it is something else. Something that won't cost a lot of $$$ to fix.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

The suspense is knawing at me... Good Luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:30 PM

Old 03-29-2005, 01:09 PM

Here's the latest from the guy at the auto shop:

He said that the sound I am hearing is the piston hitting the head. Not good. Apparently, one of the connecting rod bearings went out and is allowing free play of that piston. The piston is traveling all the way up the cylinder and making contact with the head. Muy malo.

His diagnosis: new engine. To the tune of $2600.

He also said he could put a bandaid on it by doing what he called a "crankcase kit". I'm not sure what that is and asked him to give me the details of the two procedures (new engine vs. crankcase kit), plus costs for each, when he calls me back. I should be hearing from him in the next hour or so.

He said he didn't know if it was conincidence with the work I had done, the engine cleaner, or if the bearing was just worn out. But he said 103000 miles wasn't surprising that it happened now. But I'm surprised. Toyotas are known for their durability.

So here's a new question for you guys. I replaced the valve cover gaskets because they had been slowly leaking for a while. I would have to add a quart of oil or so in between oil changes, going 3500-4000 miles. Would this leaking and subsequent low oil levels have led to the bearing wearing out?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

I spun a rod bearing just over 2 years ago. Rebuilt the entire engine in my garage. Not an easy feat, but doable, and for a LOT less than a new engine (cost me $900 in parts, & about 80 hours +/- total). It could have been the low oil. I figured out that I spun mine with low oil on a steep uphill climb (no oil to the engine). Good luck! Let us know what you end up doing!

Edit: If you were only adding a quart or so between oil changes, probably not the oil level, I think.

Last edited by Bassinfool; 03-29-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stump
Well, I was doing routine maintenance and such and happened to see the engine cleaner at the parts store.
That's what I was getting at, it's not routine or even recommended maintenance. Pouring detergents and solvents down every orifice of the engine is not a good idea. Especially for no good reason, as is the case in most situations when transmission flush, engine cleaner or SeaFoam..... is used.

Let's now all hope the lesson is not too expensive.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:28 PM

Yeah, I'm finding that out. Just because it's sold in an auto parts store doesn't mean it's good for your engine.

I feel like such a tool right now. After all the hard work I did to replace the valve cover gaskets (that was my biggest DIY job to date) and I got everything back together and running smoothly, I was feeling proud of myself. I had never tackled something like that before and came out OK. If this comes down to a can of some lousy engine cleaner, I'm going to be highly pissed.

Quick Reply: I need EMERGENCY help with my 3VZE