Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I may have F'd up my deckplate mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I may have F'd up my deckplate mod

Okay here is the situation. I used a low oder/fumes silcone that I found a Home Depot. I could not find any sensor safe silicone anywhere, I even called automotive shops, no one had any. So I went with the best that I could. I let the stuff dry as much as I could before I put everthing back together. But I'm still really worried about havinf F'd up my MAF sensor. Can anyone tell me what they think about my situation. I really want to know what others thing could possibley happen.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

i would not have risked it. low fumes doesnt mean sensor safe. the silicon will ruin your MAF, but do what you wanna do.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

It's not a matter of what I want to do anymore, it's a matter of what I already did and now I'm worried, shoulda grilled some more shops b4 giving up so early. Anyone else think I F'd up big time or if I might pull out okay.

How will I know if I did my MAF in, and that I will need to replace it?

Last edited by Stump1883; 10-07-2002 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:08 PM

I personally didn't do a deckplate mod on my 4Runner (1991) I've read that it's not possible to anyway, but I don't understand why not, I mean you could probably punch a hole in the top of the airbox (Might not work, haven't looked at my old box since I installed my FIPK Kit). I myself would of kept trying to track down the sensor safe silicon stuff, or talked to a few different places and seen what they think and suggested. But since it's already said and done, I'm sorry to say it but only time will tell. I'd say that if your MAF sensor doesn't break or stop working, then you lucked out

-Braden
Old 10-07-2002, 08:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought some clear sealant stuff from Home Depot as well. I never had any problems.

I used "Seal-All" what did you use?

Old 10-07-2002, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

Stump,
I think that you should do what you can to remove the deckplate and get all of that silicon off. It will ruin your MAF sensor. It may take a day or a month, but it will happen. Do a search on both forums and you will find some threads talking about it. BTW, I got my sensor safe silicon at Autozone for like $3.00 Hope it works out for you. Later.

Matt
Old 10-07-2002, 09:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Stump:

I agree w/ LSU. Why take the risk?

What I did was to take a flat piece of rubber from the hardware store, cut out a ring, and just simply screw the deck plate over the rubber ring. No worrying about fumes or anything.

I sent Dbui a piece of it too. Did you use it yet, Dave? If you don't plan to, send it to Stump!

Bob
Old 10-08-2002, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

If you couldnt get it locally you should have mail ordered it, I did. It was worth the shipping costs to do it right and for peace of mind in the least.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:23 AM

I'm not trying to start a war here, as there are certainly some people on this board that know a whole heck of a lot more than I do, but...

Has anyone ever seen damage cause to the MAF from non-sensor safe silicone? Not just coincidental problems, but actual damage directly caused by using non-sensor safe silicone? I haven't. I did my deckplate over a year ago, before I had ever heard anyone talk about sensor safe and non-sensor safe sealants. I used silicone that I picked up a wall-mart. Doubt it was sensor safe since I wasn't looking specifically for sensor safe silicone. I haven't had any problems.

As far as your options... seems like you can leave it as is and see what happens, or you can pull your air box out and cut the deckplate out, thus having a hole in your airbox that you can't seal (I don't think you could remove the deckplate, all the silicone, and redo the mod using sensor-safe sealant). I'd be more inclined to go with the first option.

Just my $.02... take it for what it's worth.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:25 AM

Stump,

If you end up getting it via the web, let me know where you get it from. I just ordered my Amsoil air filter (via Gadget's Amsoil ref) and will be doing my deckplate mod shortly after.

Here are a few other questions.

1. Does anybody know a site that sells the actual deckplates? I have heard a few people talking about going to boat supply stores, but I really don't know of any near me. It would be just as easy for me to order it online if somebody knows where I can get it from.

2. I thought I heard somebody say that they had a big enough drill bit or some sort of 4" hole bit for their drill. Was this correct? If you do, where can I find them? Home Depot?

I know that I can dig through tons of old posts, I just figured that it would be easy to ask here (feeling a little lazy right now).

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2002, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

JACKSON and STUMP: heres a thread you wanna look at...

http://www.outdoorwire.com/cgi-bin/u...;f=13;t=008969
Old 10-08-2002, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

I would be hapy to take the deck plate off and re-do it using the right stuff, but there is no way I can. My Runner is my only car, and I have class everyday and work right after that, Today, Wed, and Thurs., then my baby goes in bright and early to get it's lift installed. I really can't find any time to re-do this job. About the only way I can think would be to skip one of my classes and take the few hours I have there to rip it off and re-do it all. I can't do anything about that though until at least Thurs(I have one class that I don't NEED to be in). so that means today and tomarrow running w/ this thing in. Will the damage already have been delt to my MAF after those few days, or is this a good idea to try and do it as soon as I can?
Old 10-08-2002, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by Stump1883
I would be hapy to take the deck plate off and re-do it using the right stuff, but there is no way I can. My Runner is my only car, and I have class everyday and work right after that, Today, Wed, and Thurs., then my baby goes in bright and early to get it's lift installed. I really can't find any time to re-do this job. About the only way I can think would be to skip one of my classes and take the few hours I have there to rip it off and re-do it all. I can't do anything about that though until at least Thurs(I have one class that I don't NEED to be in). so that means today and tomarrow running w/ this thing in. Will the damage already have been delt to my MAF after those few days, or is this a good idea to try and do it as soon as I can?
Honestly, from what I have read on here and the other board that (outdoor wire), it really seems that more people have NOT had problems with it than have. It also seems like most people did not use the sensor safe silicone. It really seems that chances are you are not going to have a problem.

Just leave it on there. Worse case, you will need to replace the sensor if it goes bad. I am sure that you could find one at a junk yard or something if you had to.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:02 AM

I would remove the deck plate, get as much sealant off that you can and reinstall your air box and filter, order the silicone free stuff and finish the deck plate when it arrives. just dont go driving through deep water or heavy dust. and keep your fingers crossed!!
Old 10-08-2002, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by swerks
I would remove the deck plate, get as much sealant off that you can and reinstall your air box and filter, order the silicone free stuff and finish the deck plate when it arrives. just dont go driving through deep water or heavy dust. and keep your fingers crossed!!
I mean, what are you going to use to clean off the silicone? What if the cleaner that you use screws up the sensor? If it has not already caused a problem, it probably won't. The smell of the silicone should not get worse over time.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by cybrenergy
Stump,

If you end up getting it via the web, let me know where you get it from. I just ordered my Amsoil air filter (via Gadget's Amsoil ref) and will be doing my deckplate mod shortly after.

Here are a few other questions.

1. Does anybody know a site that sells the actual deckplates? I have heard a few people talking about going to boat supply stores, but I really don't know of any near me. It would be just as easy for me to order it online if somebody knows where I can get it from.

2. I thought I heard somebody say that they had a big enough drill bit or some sort of 4" hole bit for their drill. Was this correct? If you do, where can I find them? Home Depot?

I know that I can dig through tons of old posts, I just figured that it would be easy to ask here (feeling a little lazy right now).

Thanks!
www.westmarine.com for the deckplate

http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/per82180.html
AutoBarn.com for the Sensor Safe Sealeant

Get a 4.25" hole saw for your drill and that hole will only take a few seconds to make and come out real clean.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by cybrenergy

Honestly, from what I have read on here and the other board that (outdoor wire), it really seems that more people have NOT had problems with it than have. It also seems like most people did not use the sensor safe silicone. It really seems that chances are you are not going to have a problem.

Just leave it on there. Worse case, you will need to replace the sensor if it goes bad. I am sure that you could find one at a junk yard or something if you had to.
http://www.outdoorwire.com/cgi-bin/u...;f=13;t=010336

seems like to me, most people DO use the silicon safe sealant. why not, i cant hurt. but the non-sensor-safe silicon HAS been known to damage the MAF and/or O2 sensor. you pick, new MAF and O2 or re-do deckplate.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by jalaber

Get a 4.25" hole saw for your drill and that hole will only take a few seconds to make and come out real clean.
Anybody thought of putting a 6" deckplate on? Maybe the air box is not big enough for that, dunno. But hey, it's an extra 2".
Old 10-08-2002, 06:17 AM

Originally posted by jalaber

Ordered the deckplate from that site. The damn shipping on the sealeant is more than the product. I guess I need to stop by my local auto-parts store to see if they have it.

Thanks for posting the links!
Old 10-08-2002, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

read this gene:

http://www.outdoorwire.com/cgi-bin/...c;f=13;t=008969

Quick Reply: I may have F'd up my deckplate mod