Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

i had an S10 commit suicide on the rear of my yoda

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had an S10 commit suicide on the rear of my yoda

it had an extended cab. the idiot driving hit me full on, no brakes at about 35mph. while i was stopped. it was a hard hit, a little more to the left than center in the rear. after the police had assessed the situation i drove off his truck (he went under a bit) and cleared the intersection. i was deemed not at fault. i have a (was) pristine 98 4runner with only now 163k km. i want to know what a bent frame feels like because besides the obvious lines on the rear pass door and the rear hatch misalignment and bent bumper and mud flap being close to the tire it doesn't look as bad as it felt. how ever down grade travel at 50 mph when decelerating causes a moderate vibration from the rear and now i have quite a shimmy on the high way emulating again from the rear. not good considering how smooth and stoic the ride was before. can somebody tell me if this is fixable?. will it ever ride the same again? from personal experience.
this truck is our pride and joy. we paid a lot and maintain it lovingly.
please be frank and brutal.
thanks joe
Old 06-02-2008, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You really need to post pics for people to see. That will help them to see just where the damage is and what could be some unseen damage as well.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can tell you right now that if your insurance companies will pay for it, body shops can work wonders these days man.

My stepmom wrecked her Lexus (I really don't talk to her or see her much) but I saw the accident, and it was bad. Few weeks later its fixed and looks brand new. Probably because this was a new car, yes. But still, DO NOT underestimate the work of a body shop.

As for a bent frame we still need some pictures dude. Snap some and you will get probably 10,000 replies lol. Did you take any of the accident when it happened (like him stuck on you)?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Did the other guy have insurance? Your best bet is to contact the other guys insurance company.

A body shop will be able to check the frame and pull it if need be. Quality frame / body / mechanic work can likely restore it to its previous glory. Just make sure you insist on a quality repair facility of your choosing when dealing with the insurance company.

If you're going to post some pics, drop the spare tire out from underneath and take some of the undercarriage and rear suspension as well as the exterior
Old 06-02-2008, 07:16 AM

a bent frame is fixable

it depends on if the insurance company feels it is cheaper to
fix it, or give you the value of the vehicle

the thing needs to be completely stripped, body lifted off,
and then they can bend the frame back. it will never be 100%,
nothing can do that but a new frame, but
the driveablity will be restored 100%
Old 06-02-2008, 07:32 AM

i would hope for "totalled" if your frame is bent. of course they could bend it back but unless its a real top notch body shop look for issues after they put it all back together.. i would look for another vehicle
Old 06-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Maj

Even with photos there is no way anyone can accurately assess frame damage. You can't eyeball fractions of an inch. A competent body shop will measure key points to check for damage. The bumper is braced via the floor of the cargo area so there is a pretty good crumple/impact absorbing zone before it gets to the frame. Since you have driveability issues that does kind of indicate some sort of frame or suspension damage though.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:30 AM

the guy DID have ins and it's to be covered 100%

i am going to use the toyota dealership body shop. to look at it it doesn't look too bad at all. the vibration though has got to be in the unseen damage part. i'm sure they will fix it and i have about $14000.00 including taxes and new timing belt and water pump in a vehicle i've only had coming up 2 yrs. it has leather and wood. no sun roof or racks. i will post some pics.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
ACV on a 98 4runner is only about $8k. If the damage is over about $6k, they wont fix it, they will total it.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 AM

Time on a frame machine racks the bill up fast.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:28 PM

Whatever you do..DO NOT take your vehical where the INS. CO. wants you to go.Those bodyshops do crap work at a discounted rate for the INS. CO. to save them money.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
i hope the s10 guy has insurance...

Originally Posted by 97ltd4x4
Whatever you do..DO NOT take your vehical where the INS. CO. wants you to go.Those bodyshops do crap work at a discounted rate for the INS. CO. to save them money.
Exactly--I went where they suggested-it was convenient and close to my house after my '05 Tacoma was side swiped. They put my Left rear flare back on using Double sided tape instead of doing it right..
Old 06-02-2008, 01:46 PM

the frame is fixable, however it may never ride the same again.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:12 PM

Once a frame is damaged, it's never 100%. But like was said above, body shops can usually restore the ride, but whenever a metal bends it loses some inherent strength. If it will be an issue, who knows.

Really, this is kinda out of your hands. It depends on if the insurance co. decides to fix or total it.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 PM

Bent frames do wierd things even when straightened, tires may wear funny, shocks may not work the same, you may hear vibrations from the body, I test drove a honda about 2 years back that had been totaled and fixed... if you put it in park, then reverse, at about 10 mph in reverse it would make a wierd like "whomp" noise from the sheet metal bending... wierd stuff happens to vehicles once they have been fixed from accidents.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member

It's funny I had a ranger do that to me the other day. Hit my marlin crawler bumper and screwed the front of the ranger but did nothing to the toyota
Old 06-04-2008, 06:08 AM

That's not a true statement...I am a insurance agent and the shops that our companies recommend are the very best in the area. Most insurance companies have a list of reputable body shops that they deal directly with and by having that association "you" the customer will have a much easier time in dealing with your claim. Its the choice of the customer to take their vehicle to whatever bodyshop they want. I definately think it would be a good idea to stay with a Toyota bodyshop....unless you have someone else who is local and does really good work.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:34 AM

I also work for an insurance corporation, I can see how statements as such can be created, I have heard of horror stories in some states with accredited bodyshops from the insurance company doing bad work.....but it all depends on the feedback from other clients. A lot of bodyshops that do GOOD work are known for it...all you have to do ask around to find out which one's good for you. I work in a public insurance corporation....so the clients where I live have only one company to insure their vehicles. Our mitchell matrix system allows us to track and insure the work is being done correctly and send out road estimator's.

http://www.mpi.mb.ca
Old 06-04-2008, 07:02 AM

Do Not take your vehical where the INS. CO. wants you to go!

They are what they call "preferred providers/vendor" or DRP's ,Direct Repair Providers.They sighn contracts with the bodyshops that do one or more of the following:lower there labor rate,forced to use aftermarket parts,repair instead of replace panels/parts,cap materials cost,cap labor costs.This inturn puts undo pressure on the bodyshop to keep the INS CO's cost and turn around time down,Which inturn effects quality of the repairs.The bodyshops do this Inorder for the INS. CO to send them volumes of work.This practice is called STEERING,And is against the Law in most states.....

If you are asked to take your vehical to someplace other than you want to,or are told your caim will be delayed if you don't go where they want you to go,or told you are responcible for other diffrances in moneys from the INS. CO.'s estimate vs. your shop's,or told you are responcible for additional rental car moneys because of the INS.CO.'s delays...Contact your state INS. Commissioner.It will be resolved quickly.

http://www.naic.org/state_web_map.htm

and for some viewing:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...msreporter&p=r
Old 06-04-2008, 07:44 AM

Do Not take your vehical where the INS. CO. wants you to go!

They are what they call "preferred providers/vendor" or DRP's ,Direct Repair Providers.They sighn contracts with the bodyshops that do one or more of the following:lower there labor rate,forced to use aftermarket parts,repair instead of replace panels/parts,cap materials cost,cap labor costs.This inturn puts undo pressure on the bodyshop to keep the INS CO's cost and turn around time down,Which inturn effects quality of the repairs.The bodyshops do this Inorder for the INS. CO to send them volumes of work.This practice is called STEERING,And is against the Law in most states.....

If you are asked to take your vehical to someplace other than you want to,or are told your caim will be delayed if you don't go where they want you to go,or told you are responcible for other diffrances in moneys from the INS. CO.'s estimate vs. your shop's,or told you are responcible for additional rental car moneys because of the INS.CO.'s delays...Contact your state INS. Commissioner.It will be resolved quickly.

http://www.naic.org/state_web_map.htm

and for some viewing:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...msreporter&p=r
thats right!!! get em boy!!

Quick Reply: i had an S10 commit suicide on the rear of my yoda