Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

i finally did my HID retro but i ran into a problem, Plz help lol *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i finally did my HID retro but i ran into a problem, Plz help lol *PICS*

for those that have done a bi-xenon projector retrofit, how did u wire up the high beam solenoid? ive tried the ways that were posted on HIDplanet, but no luck.

right now:

- the low beam turns off when the high is engaged.

what i need to achieve:

-have the low beam stay on while the high beam is activated
-find a working wire diagram

any help will be much apreciated, thanks and enjoy the pics!

Always make sure your headlamps are lying down on its back or has some type of protection. i stood it up and it managed to tip over on its own. such a waste...

Old 03-18-2006, 10:08 PM

they are switched ground IIRC, so a harness with some relays wouldbe your best bet. ill dig for the diagram that i had saved. im going with single xenon low beams and infiniti qx4 highbeam projectors. but the diagram should work.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That seems like a pretty clean install ...can you post some pics of the back of the headlamp and how you secured it headlight?...Are you using the E55 Bi-Xenon projectors?

Last edited by iceman601; 03-18-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:00 AM

Do you happen to have pics of the beam pattern and on the ground.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:13 AM

thanks guys, i stoped taking pics of the process as it got messy. ill post more pics of the back tho, and of course the beam pattern. i have to play with the camera a bit more. yes im using the e55 bi-xenons off ebay.

i wanted an ome look. so i mounted the projectors further back, but there are clearance problems by doing this.

-can't use the stock airbox
- battery must be moved aside, relocated, or slimer battery is needed.

again, ill try to post more pics, i also have to THANK all those who have posted pics of their retros and information which have encouraged me to finish the project. because of the clearance problems i almost gave up...

heres a beam pattern pic right after i installed it without proper alignment, i only aligned the beams to the same level, my driveway is also at an incline, so its not a good alignment point.

Old 03-19-2006, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by KyleT
they are switched ground IIRC, so a harness with some relays wouldbe your best bet. ill dig for the diagram that i had saved. im going with single xenon low beams and infiniti qx4 highbeam projectors. but the diagram should work.
right now im using one of them "wire harness upgrades" that hooks up the halogens directly to the battery. i was trying to modify it so the lows will stay on along with the highs but havent figured it out yet.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:18 AM

Nice.. I don't understand "leaving the low/high beam on" at the same time. The premise behind BI-Xenon is that there is a constant light output, then when the high beam is activated a small reflector allows light to travel more out of the projector giving a brighter/wider pattern. There is no high and low beam in terms of power output or light level, it's all about the reflector. I've heard that on BMWs Xenon systems you can actually change how the reflectors operate when on high/low and therefore change how light is displayed outside the projectors.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:31 AM

I ran mines using two relays, a positive switched realy for the low beam powering the HID at all times when you turn on your headlights and a negative switched realy for the high beam actuators....thus letting you have your HID on when you high beam but the downside of this is that because there is no feedback to the other wire on the main harness it won't trigger your high beam indicator light....but since your using the E55 I'm pretty sure you'll know when you got your highs on or not.
Here is my diagram...I never went back to fix the high beam indicator.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Nice.. I don't understand "leaving the low/high beam on" at the same time. The premise behind BI-Xenon is that there is a constant light output, then when the high beam is activated a small reflector allows light to travel more out of the projector giving a brighter/wider pattern. There is no high and low beam in terms of power output or light level, it's all about the reflector. I've heard that on BMWs Xenon systems you can actually change how the reflectors operate when on high/low and therefore change how light is displayed outside the projectors.
the HID bulb is switched on by the low beam signal and the High beam signal engages the solenoid. on an h4 bulb, the low beam will turn off when highs are on thus turning off the HID bulb when atempting to use the high beams. like you said, the HID bulb stays on and only a shield shifted by a solenoid to make a low to high beam. so leaving the low beam signal on while the highs are on can keep the HID bulb on while also engaging the solenoid

confusing ?
Old 03-19-2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by iceman601
I ran mines using two relays, a positive switched realy for the low beam powering the HID at all times when you turn on your headlights and a negative switched realy for the high beam actuators....thus letting you have your HID on when you high beam but the downside of this is that because there is no feedback to the other wire on the main harness it won't trigger your high beam indicator light....but since your using the E55 I'm pretty sure you'll know when you got your highs on or not.
Here is my diagram...I never went back to fix the high beam indicator.
thanks, but i finally figured it out, i forgot to ground a wire using this diagram, i have to check if i get the no high beam light problem. i also did some way where the light wouldnt turn on but didnt keep it that way.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:10 PM

Beam pics

LOW

HIGH

LOW

HIGH

sorry i forgot the back of the housing, ill post those later
Old 03-20-2006, 04:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice job on those, they look awesome!
Old 03-20-2006, 04:52 AM

Very nice.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:58 AM

Nice pics! Now if I could only find clear housings like that for my 2nd Gen...
Old 03-20-2006, 11:11 AM

thanks

i think people still retrofit even with a lens like the 2nd gen. Especially beacuse they also cant find any clear lenses. it is still a great output of light. another good thing is it could hide the "eye ball" look a bit. are they glass? plastic lenses can be sanded down and made clear, but not glass lenses

heres a camry that did it

pics are from http://faqlight.carpassion.info/
Old 03-20-2006, 12:36 PM

I really like your retrofit, it looks alot better then the Bigeye problem that we have with our trucks and normal retrofits
Old 03-20-2006, 12:44 PM

That Camry looks good. Their's hope for us 2nd Genners yet... Lenses are glass BTW.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:38 AM

That looks really good, I have been wanting to do this forever but I am not keen on opening the light with the oven and all that. So a couple of questions......
1. Where and what did you get for projector, ballasts, etc..... and how much?
2. Where did you put the ballasts?
3. Where did you relocate the airbox and battery?
4. What did you use to mount the projector to the light, JB Weld or something?
Thanks again....B
Old 03-21-2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by wsudu
That looks really good, I have been wanting to do this forever but I am not keen on opening the light with the oven and all that. So a couple of questions......
1. Where and what did you get for projector, ballasts, etc..... and how much?
2. Where did you put the ballasts?
3. Where did you relocate the airbox and battery?
4. What did you use to mount the projector to the light, JB Weld or something?
Thanks again....B

1. Ebay:

-aftermarket 99+ headlights 250
-Lexus is300 ballasts + bulbs 200
-e55 Bi-xenon projectors 120

Home Depot:
-JB kwik about 3-4 packages
-Aluminum sheet metal
-sand paper
-3inch hole saw and necesary hardware

Walmart or old bike
-Bike tubing

2. the ballasts are just sitting flat held in placve by Zip ties

3. i shifted the battery to the side, soon i plan to either make a new battery bracket, or do a twin slim battery setup placing one battery in the rear of the truck. for the airbox, i made an intake, not good if u wanna keep the airbox for wheeling

4. with the hole i made, the projector fits very snug, i just added jb weld to secure it in place.

also, i did not have to open or bake the light. my hands were small enough to fit through the hole to dry the inside after washing it out.

------------------------------------------------

pics of the back as requested....

so do u still think the look is worth all the extra work????

Last edited by TOYJZX100; 03-21-2006 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:21 AM

I still might do this, but what is the bicycle tube for, just to protect it?

Quick Reply: i finally did my HID retro but i ran into a problem, Plz help lol *PICS*