Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

how to run wires for stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking how to run wires for stereo?

Hey all--

I'm planning to upgrade the factory stereo soon and was wondering how you all did your installs.... (3rd gen 2001 4Runner...)

Q: I want to run a 4 AWG wire from the battery into the cab, anyone know if that would fit through the existing grommet on the driver's side? Looks like it would be a tight fit... I'd like to avoid drilling another hole if possible...

Q: I want to install my amps under the front seats... Driver's side floor looks OK--I looked under the front passenger seat and WHAT the heck is that thing on the floor? Looks like a fan of some sort... ? This may be a problem for my sub amp...

Q: Anyone have pics of how they mounted their amps under the seats....

Q: And how in general did you run your power wires, ground wires, and speaker wires? (I don't even know how to remove the seat or carpet yet...) I plan to just replace the 2 fronts for now, and place a sub in the rear cargo locker...

Any help would be appreciated, I'm all excited about this project !

Old 08-12-2002, 09:09 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi Fonz, though I have a 2nd gen, my stereo page may give you a few ideas on running the wire.

I ran my 4 guage amp wire on the passenger side. I had to take out my computer to route it, then put it back.

I also put my amps on the seat backs to get better air flow, plus it's easier to get to if you need to tweak the settings.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/stereo.htm
Old 08-12-2002, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

I believe that fan under your front passenger seat is your rear heater...i got the same thing on mine.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Running Stereo Wires

Hey dude...I have a '98 4Runner. I have run a four guage power wire through the gromit on the driver side. I actually ran it through the side of it. I used to have my amp underneath my seat, but I added more to my system and moved everything to the back. I don't have that box under my seat. It is pretty easy to run the wires. First, you might want to start out by removing your seat. It really isn't hard to do. there are just 4 srews that you can remove with, I believe, a 12mm socket(could be 14mm), and unpluging the wires to it. Then you just pull it out of there. Then you will want to take of the plastic peice that runs along the floor where your door is. Unscrew the 4 phillips head screws, then just pull gently on it and it will pop off. Then take out the kick panel(plastic panel which goes next to where your left foot would be.) by pulling it towards the back of the car. It will just pop off too. You can then run the power wire through this little crevice. then, if you want it under your seat, cut a little "X" in you carpet and run the wire over to it and pull it up through. If you need any more help, just email me.

Last edited by DavidO06; 08-15-2002 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

Fonz,

I noticed that you live where the rain likes to change into this evil white stuff called snow.

Mounting your amps under the seat means that the possibility of snow and water getting under there exists. Be carefull.

As for running 4 gauge wire.... if I can run 0 gauge wire from the battery of my prelude to the back, through the firewall and keep everything hidden... a 4Runner will be easy!

Dan
Old 08-13-2002, 05:09 AM

Talking

Hey all --

Thx. for the replies.... it's that basic "how to tie your shoe" stuff I needed

asudan..., that's a good point about the snow, didn't even think about that.... I'll have to figure out what to do about that along the way...
Old 08-13-2002, 07:48 AM

4FonZ- See if you can put your amp under the front driver's seat and then run the smaller 18-or-so gauge wire from the amp to the sub box in the back. That's what I did. I ran my 8 gauge wire through the rubber grommet on the driver's side and it was a tight fit, but it worked.

BTW- If you put the amp under the front driver's seat, there's a good grounding point under the door sill.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:42 AM

Thumbs up

Hey thx rpeamp...great advice.. I was wondering where to ground stuff... I hear also it's wise to NOT ground both amps (if using 2 amps) to the same ground point... so I'll look under the door sill for that point you mentioned..
Old 08-13-2002, 11:26 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I have never heard that before Fonz that you can't ground both amps at the same place.

Here you can see both of my silver colored 8 gauge wires coming from my two amps go into a distribution block, and then get grounded via the 4 gauge red wire.

Corey
Old 08-13-2002, 03:48 PM

Actually you should ground at the same point to prevent a possible ground loop (which would induce noise into your system).
Old 08-13-2002, 05:05 PM

No kiddin! Did not know that... I was reading through one of the car forums and someone said you shouldn't ground to the same screw w/multi amps in case the ground fails you don't lose both amps...

I guess you can't believe everything you read....
Old 08-13-2002, 07:10 PM

Hmmm....well I've never heard that, but I could be wrong. I run two amps (one for components and other for sub) and they are grounded on top of each other. No problems whatsoever.

For the record, I think that if something happened and it was unknown to you that the ground connection was the culprit and both amps failed, the ground would be the first thing I would look at since it affects both amps. Just my opinion.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:16 AM
Contributing Member

About the ground, yeah grounding them in two spots will cause a ground loop and introduct alota noise, took me a couple mins to figure that out when I had my laptop/mp3 player under my passenger seat of my car (those things are a pain to ground). Also if I remember right don't wire your rca's down the same side of your vehicle as your power, it causes interference. Just get a distribution block for the ground and a fuse block for the power and a circuit breaker under the hood and you'll be alright.

Mounting things underseats.. my buddy had a amp die that way, from all the rain that we got where I lived in florida almost every day it would raing about 4 o'clock.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:31 AM

Hummm...thx for the advice on the grounding... I'll just put it into a d-block then like Corey did, neater that way....

As far as amps underseats and moisture.... well... I really don't want to stick the amps in the back... I'll have to come up with some type of enclosure I guess...one that protects while still allowing heat dissipation...

Any ideas...
Old 08-14-2002, 06:45 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Oh yeah....

Originally posted by 4FonZ

As far as amps underseats and moisture.... well... I really don't want to stick the amps in the back... I'll have to come up with some type of enclosure I guess...one that protects while still allowing heat dissipation...

Any ideas...
Yep, some don't like the location I have for my amps, but it serves the purpose as you can get to them easily and adjust the pots if need be.

And they get plenty of air in this location too.
And as far as theives being able to see them, my windows are tinted quite dark back there, so you can't see them.

Also, that's what the alarm & insurance is for. If I had to do it all over again, I'd put the amps in the same exact spot.

If you want to make an enclosure for them, check out Dave's install.
He has the amps in an enclosure that mounts to the seat back.
Corey
Old 08-14-2002, 07:10 AM

Hey wassup Corey --

Hehe.. woop, don't get me wrong, I really like your mounting and setup, it's very neat just I carry a lot of heavy stuff in the rear cargo that has to slide in and out everyday and that would just kill anything back there And I did see VinceK's setup (I bet you're gonna mention that next right but I need the room..Hehe...

Ah well...

Old 08-14-2002, 07:41 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

He he

How about a false floor like Umsam's?

I'm running out of ideas for you
Unless you went into the far aft cubby holes.

Yes, Vince's setup with the amp in the cargo box is pretty cool, if that is the same one I'm thinking of. I know he had a sub woofer mounted in it.
Corey
Old 08-15-2002, 11:51 AM

what about grouding to the battery? i'm gonna have a dual batt setup, one will be for truck, the other will be for stereo. the stereo batt will be located in the cargo area of my '86, 2 of my 3 amps will be located right there with it. would it be better to ground to the battery in my case?

Jacob
Old 08-29-2003, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just doing a search when I came across this post...

Cobb: in your case I would suggest that you run ground wires back to the second battery.

In fact, just to add another opinion regarding grounding, I would suggest that you always run the ground directly back to the battery.

Also, it may seem obvious to most people, but make sure both the positive and ground wires are of sufficient rating. I've seen lots of DIY installs where they have run an 8 gauge wire into the amp, then ground it with some wire the thickness of dental floss
Old 08-29-2003, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: He he

Originally posted by Corey
How about a false floor like Umsam's?
That is a great clean install. That rig is a total sleeper. I love the packaging!!

Quick Reply: how to run wires for stereo?