Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help me with my 200k Service

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help me with my 200k Service

Well my truck turned 195k today , so I started thinking about my 200k service. Heres what I have so far

DIY:
New Belts
New Battery Cables/ Battery
New Cat. (Probably a Magnaflow)
(The Above are things that NEED Done)

Grease U-Joints
Check Valve Clearance
Upgrade Headlights
Flush Radiator (Toyota Coolant)
New Plugs (NGK) and Plug Wires
Change Oil & Toyota Filter
Check (Recharge?) A/C
Replace Transmission Grease
Replace Tranfer Case Grease
Replace Diff. Grease (Both)
New Air Filter
New Fuel Filter
New Oxygen Sensor
Major Cleaning of Interior
Wash/Polish/Wax

To Be Done at Les Schwab:
Brake Service (needs fronts soon)
New Shocks (current ones are shot)
New Tires on my non-base model rims

How does that sound? Anything to add?

Also, I know its bad to change an engine to synthetic with 200k of dino oil run through it, but does the same apply to transmission/x-fercase and diffs? Cause I wanted to switch to royal purple.

Last edited by rowdy235; 04-12-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you know the previous service to your truck? You may not need to go with new battery/bat cables,new cat or belts.

If you dont just take a look at them. You might find your time more well spent changing out your diff fluids, transfer case and trany fluid. I didnt start using syn in my 96 SR5 till 120k and its fine-no leaks. Might want to read up on using Royale Purple though. Most reports show it doesnt hold up as well as Amsoil, Mobil 1 or Redline.

As for your O2 sensor is it original or replaced already. Might not need to change it.

New plugs may be needed (30k) but as for the wires they may be fine and spend your money elsewhere. And new air filter if the old one is dirty if your using regular one.

What about greasing your drive shafts and slip yokes too if you have a good syn grease to do it.

Now for the money youve saved DIY-- Maybe a Tundra brake upgrade you do yourself instead of Schwabs. Then you can add a lift while your at it and only need to take it to them for an alignment
Old 04-12-2010, 03:17 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
add "check valve clearances" to the list if you don't know if they have been done. depending on your findings, you might need to readjust the clearances. I think Toyota recommends this every 30K
Old 04-12-2010, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The battery failed the load test, the cables are a TOTAl hack job, I got a CEL for the cat, and the belts squeal when its cold.

O2 appears to be original and would like to change just for peace of mind.

Plugs are old and the boot on the #2 wire is rotted and falls off.

Air filter is just regular maintenance

Don't have a ton of money to spend and I see no reason to do a tundra upgrade. Sure it'd be improved stopping but it already stops good so why change whats working? Not into a lift on my dd either. Reason I go with schwabs for brakes is they do the job right, give it a warranty, and is not that much more than I could do it for.

Thank you for the suggestion about the driveshafts, I'll add it to my list. What grade grease? Anything special to look for?

Originally Posted by IUEC'rnr
Do you know the previous service to your truck? You may not need to go with new battery/bat cables,new cat or belts.

If you dont just take a look at them. You might find your time more well spent changing out your diff fluids, transfer case and trany fluid. I didnt start using syn in my 96 SR5 till 120k and its fine-no leaks. Might want to read up on using Royale Purple though. Most reports show it doesnt hold up as well as Amsoil, Mobil 1 or Redline.

As for your O2 sensor is it original or replaced already. Might not need to change it.

New plugs may be needed (30k) but as for the wires they may be fine and spend your money elsewhere. And new air filter if the old one is dirty if your using regular one.

What about greasing your drive shafts and slip yokes too if you have a good syn grease to do it.

Now for the money youve saved DIY-- Maybe a Tundra brake upgrade you do yourself instead of Schwabs. Then you can add a lift while your at it and only need to take it to them for an alignment
Old 04-12-2010, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would highly suggest doing the tundra brake upgrade! Well worth the money