Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HELP: How to Remove Pocket Under Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP: How to Remove Pocket Under Stereo

I have a factory single din radio/tape player with a factory "pocket" underneath. I want to remove the pocket so as to be able to fit a Cobra 18 WX ST II CB in that spot. Basically, the only way I can fit this CB in that spot is to get the pocket out.

I have looked around the pocket and don't really see how to easily remove it without taking apart the dash. I have also done a search on yotatech & don't really see anybody talking about it (although I saw a few guys who added the pocket).

Please advise if you know how to pop this out & thx,

matt
Old 09-23-2003, 07:42 AM

I did the exact thing you want to do this summer.

To get the pocket out you will have to remove the center part of the dash. It's really easy to do. Just pop out the ac control screen using a flat head screwdriver or something thin, there should be screws behind that, 4 i believe (one in each corner). Then after that, you should be able to pull out the whole dash, but not completely, it should pop out, and then you will have to disconnect all the controls and buttons (ie: emergency flashers button, clock, 12v power outlet, rear defroster) I think that's all of them.

Then you should be able to see the mount for your stereo and open pocket thingy. Now you can unscrew and take the mount out, and then unscrew the side screws that are connected to the pocket, and then you're set!!

However I have to tell you from my experience, the nubs or the screw with the big black thing on it, is too thick to fit inside the dash. The one that secures your cb into the mount along with stereo. you will probbly have to buy a small screw, but luckly in my case, my friend had kept the screws he got with his cb because he didn't mount it anywhere in his 2000 4runner.

If you need any pics or help with the install lemme know. I plan on submitting pics to Corey whenever I don't feel lazy to go out and put up my antenna and snap a few shots.

Last edited by Toyo_Runner96; 09-23-2003 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the great info & amount of detail. Since you offered, I would LOVE some pics as I do much better with visuals that written (you know, a little slow on the uptake when it comes to this stuff).

Also, what CB did you install? Since I have not taken the pocket out, I am only assuming it is going to fit based on the Cobra 18WXST IIs measurements.

I though about going with the handheld 75WX but right know am leaning toward the dash insert for a more permenant mount & look.

Thx,

m
Old 09-23-2003, 09:07 AM

I'll try to take some helpful pictures tommorrow night. If not, you might have to wait for this weekend.

I installed the cobra18WXST II. Same one you want to put in. I like it a lot. And I feel it looks perfect mounted in my dash.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:06 AM

Thx - and please take your time as I know this is inconvienent.

This is great as it is just what I am trying to do.

How did you mount your ant.? I have a TJM and am thinking front mount but may also go with rear bumper mount so i don't have to look at the ant. whipping around while I drive.

Also, I am not to sure what you were talking about when you referenced swapping screws. Were you saying that, in effect, you had to swap out some screws in order to get the 18 WX to fit?
Old 09-23-2003, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

I'll second that request for a write up with pics. I've got a Cobra 18 WX ST also. I tried mounting it in the dash when I first got it but thought the antenna cable protruded too far. Did you have any space issues? My 4Runner is a '91.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
dont forget that the dash disassembles differently for each generations of 4runner.

With the 1st and 2nd gens, you have to take all plastic covering off that is below the actual dash board.

With 3rd gens, I believe you merely have to get the center section of the trim out. Which makes for an easier install.

With 4th gens, I have no idea...

As far as the screws, I think he is talking about the 4 screws that are generally used to anchor the pocket/HU/CB to the holding braket. The holding braket (which holds the HU and CB) is then bolted to the dash frame. At least that's how it is in my 2nd gen 4runner.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:41 PM

yea my pics will be for a 3rd Gen.

It's not necessarily gonna be a write-up, just whatever pics I get to take.

and jim I'll show you how we ghetto rigged the coax and other wires with zip-ties
Old 09-23-2003, 02:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
yea my pics will be for a 3rd Gen.

It's not necessarily gonna be a write-up, just whatever pics I get to take.

and jim I'll show you how we ghetto rigged the coax and other wires with zip-ties
mmmmm zip-ties!! an installer's best friend!
Old 09-23-2003, 03:22 PM

Ok I didn't feel like going to the gym today so I went out and took some pics.

Here is a pic of the CB installed in my dash:

Here is how you take off the air conditioning screen:
Like I said, just use some sort of thin tool and pry it out (gently) from underneath or the sides.

Here is a picture with arrows pointing to the screws you need to take out in order to pull out the center part of the dash (notice how the holes in mine look mangled, that's because the first time I took off my dash I tried using force, yep, definitly pulled the whole thing out with the screws intact.....) :

After getting those screws out, slightly pull out the dash, and look behind and unclip everything, then it should look like this (blue arrows point to the first screws you're supposed to take out in order to pull out the dash, red arrows point to where the screws for the holding bracket are screwed into the dash) :

And here is a pic of the screw/tab I was talking about, this one is thinner than the original one that came with the CB:

Old 09-23-2003, 03:30 PM

Ghetto rigged wires:

And if you're wondering how I got the coax and wires to the engine bay, I went through the side of the grommet on the firewall.

Some views of my Firestik II with hood mount:

Old 09-24-2003, 04:54 AM

THX ATON FOR THE PICS & INFO - looks like I have aweekend project,

m