Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hello, and a question about Downy Coils.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hello, and a question about Downy Coils.

Well i guess you could say i've been a lurker for about 2 months now. I'm one of those kinds of people that if i don't know anything about it i keep my mouth shut. Well anyways...I got my intake modifications under way with a little help from the other Dr. on the boards here.

So here i am now looking at the suspension department, i got the sags worse than an eighty year old lady and its time to do something about it. So the first thing i did was buy me a set of those nice edlebrock shocks. I've never replaced shocks on any car before but i know a few friends... now i'm looking at these downy coils, but really have no clue where to buy from and what height to get them. Do i need to get 2 for the front as well? I've also looked into those sway away torsion bars. Donno what thoses really do at all.

Well i just wanted to put that out there, this is prolly one of the most over talked about subjects on the boards but what the hell, might as well ask for a more personal response.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:33 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome to the board.
You don't have coils up front you have torsion bars.
No need for the SAWs really unless you add weight up front with an aftermarket bumper & winch.
You need some weight on the SAW t bars, or they can ride a bit stiff and rough.
The bumper and winch I have add about 150 lb or so up front, and the SAWs handle it with ease.

The best place to get the Downey are from Downey.
You will find their site and phone # if you look on "YotaTech Community" on the main page, then look for YotaTech on the web, then scroll down on that page for the vendor section.

You can also get Central 4WD to order them for you, or look up member Xtremeoff-road on the site here, and visit his website in his profile.

Downey coils only come in one size for 2nd gens, but regular duty, and heavy duty.
Get the HD ones if you plan on carrying any cargo back there at times.

Your rig will sit about like mine does with the HD ones.

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/forumtemp/downey.jpg

You are right, this ? gets popped about once a week it seems around here.
Lots of info buried here in many posts on Downey coils.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:44 AM

If you aren't confident to do this yourself pay a shop. Suspension systems are under a lot of tension so if you don't have good jacks, jackstands, and spring compressor in this case, then you could cause personal injury.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:02 AM

Thanks

Well looks like i'm going to call downy durring my lunch break today. As far as installation goes, i've got a few friends that are mechanics and have all the right tools, so i will seek help before i get into this project. I've heard some scarry stuff about installing springs and cars before.

On another note, thanks for the speedy response.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:41 AM

i installed mine by myself and have never done it before. i did have impact sockets which helped alot -- i had to have my brother help with puttin the coils in. i stood on one side of the axle and pushed it down (WITH THE SWAYBAR REMOVED, ALSO REMOVE THE REAR BREAK LINE -- damn that was hard but not as hard as removing the original shocks -- they spin when you turn the top bolt -- use a big pipe wrench they will be ruined but thats what the edlebrock's are for) while he installed the coil. we had to compress the DS the PS just slid in. follow downey directions and print off all downey installs from the tech section it will help to see what other had problems with.

i have ordered the spacers so i get to do it all again next week. - O JOY!! i also ordered the SAW so i get to do that also and i heard that was hard as hell.

if you dont have air tools i would suggust soaking all bolts in some penterating stuff for atleast a day. i couldnt get the breakline off so i cut it and worried about it after the coils were in. i soaked it for a day and still couldnt get it to budge. i took it to a local shop and they attached that cool braided stainless breakline and blead my brakes for $10 so it was worth not strippin out anything

good luck you will notice one hell of a difference it got rid of that awful butt sag checkout the level of the roofline it now actually slants toward the front now and not just level

o yea check out those wheels -- now people think shes a 3rd Gen!!
Old 08-29-2003, 06:54 AM

I'd put the passenger side Downey in first. That is where the track bar mount is on the frame and that makes squeezing it in harder. I did it the other way and paid for it.