Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

heavier flywheel... worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heavier flywheel... worth it?

i've searched the forums on this one... but can't seem to find an answer to this... is a heavier flywheel worth it?

i need to replace my clutch very soon. and i've heard good things about the 10 lb heavier flywheel. but for the price... eh... i dunno

i've heard it not only improves torque like 30%, it also improves fuel economy, acceleration... smoke and mirrors?

let me know.

also, which clutch do you recommend... 'all' ... ? Centerforce, Marlin,

please advise,

~Andon
Old 08-04-2003, 04:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've heard it not only improves torque like 30%, it also improves fuel economy, acceleration... smoke and mirrors?
Smoke & mirrors...you bet.

The flywheel just stores some of the energy from your engine for use by the drivetrain later. It will NOT increase your torque, it will slow your acceleration, it may affect your fuel economy. It will steal more energy from your engine when you are winding it up.

That said, I have the TRD clutch & heavier flywheel on my 95 and I believe it helped it's city drivability out. Especially the takeoffs. I think it's only 5 lbs heavier though. I believe that the 10 lb model you are talking about would be too much and most of the guys that have used those heavier models eventually took them off.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:04 AM

alright! there's one opinion. i'd like at least one or two more.

thanks very much.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:58 PM

A heavier flywheel will be more of a benifit for off road use where you are going slow and trying to get over things in your way. It will make the truck less prone to stalling under those conditions.

Judging from your little picture, that might be exactly what you need.

For outright accleration a lighter flywheel will be more useful since it will absorb less energy and allow more to get to the wheels faster, but going low and slow, it will make it much more stall prone.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 08-04-2003, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Gadget's right the heavy flywheel is better for the bigger tires and better power transfer. They also make a 30 lbs flywheel from LC Engineering.

As for good to great deals. I have had luck with Downey's Super Clutch II. It is a complete package, a heavy duty clutch, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, alignment tool, pressure plate, and the
10 lbs heavier flywheel for about the same price as the Center Force Clutch alone. Just my .02.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:17 PM

sadly, downey doesn't offer the Super Clutch II anymore. i called about that. it would have definately been worth it with that package... however, i can't really see it paying for itself at $300+

i've got 37's so...
Old 08-04-2003, 04:26 PM

If a 4runner is anything like a 98 taco i would switch flywheels in a heartbeat. I think the reason toyota put a light flywheel in the tacos at least is so it doesnt feel like such a dog in the power category. Starting off in 1st can be hit and miss. If the revs arent just right you will either stall at an intersection or launch off the light. A heavier flywheel will give you smoother power but will rob you of some acceleration. On the flip side you will retain more power up hills etc. Daily driving will be alot easier with a heavier flywheel. I would go heavier but thats just me. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

Dude check this out.....it's downey's website. According to them they still offer the Super Clutch II. If they dont that is called false advertising.....

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/5_1_CurrentAdd.htm
Old 08-04-2003, 06:06 PM

... they no longer have a v6 application ...

it's a friggin crock of ˟˟˟˟!

bwah... oh well.

i'm gonna bite the bullet this thursday. i can afford it... if it's really gonna be a great thing. i'm getting the flex-a-lite fan thursday too.

i need more power. It's very hilly in western washington. acceleration isn't a huge problem... i'm geared at 5.29:1

umm... back to work.