Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Has Anyone Received A Ticket Due To Your Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has Anyone Received A Ticket Due To Your Mods?

I curious, has anyone gotten a ticket from a police officer or cited by a state inspector because of a mod or mods on your truck? Too high, no mud flaps, excessive lights on, etc....
Old 02-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Not on the runner but I had some blue corner bulbs on an accord that I got pulled over for. Yea i know, illegal, ricer blah blah but anyway, didnt have a problem with them when I was in sf for like two years and then about a month into being up in davis ( a small college town) a cop, who was travelling the opposite direction, pulls a u turn in order to flag me down for a ten dollar fix it ticket which took him like 20 mins to check out my registration and license. Cops up there are picky as hell and everytime I see them I'm a bit paranoid that I'll get pulled over for something stupid again like my tinted windows.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Ive only gotten a warning for the clear bulbs that are in my clear turn signal lenses...it was from the cop at my school, he saw me driving and waved at me and said, hey man you might wanna think about changin those bulbs out, some cops might get onto you about that. But...my bulbs are still clear

Fink
Old 02-07-2004, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by Henryv
I'm a bit paranoid that I'll get pulled over for something stupid again like my tinted windows.
Imagine how paranoid a police officer gets every time he has to walk up on a car with tinted windows and he can't tell if the driver is just some rice rocket jockey or some freak with a gun.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

where do i begin

ok well let me firts start this with i live in an area where the local police are aweful and look for reasons to pull people over to make up for a lack of station funding..... Check out the website.... http://www.ci.alamo-heights.tx.us/ah..._main_menu.htm click on bike patrol for the man responsible for 6 violations on one ticket, one of which was related to a mod..... ok so, to begin with, i recieved my first when driving down a bare street at 2 am with my piaa's on, for not turning them off near another vehicle which was the cop hiding behind a fence. I was doing some exhaust modifications and cut it out after the cat and got it for excessive noise after 11 pm and no muffler. On one ticket i got the same noise violation after 11 pm for my deckplate. I have one more noise violation but it was completely my stupidity in turning up my sound system really loud and driving past a parked/hidden cop at 12 am. I believe the deckplate was responsible for another ticket, i was yelling directions to a friend driving next to me, and then i took off and my friend got behind me and the cop somehow saw that as street racing, all he had was that he heard my engine revving high, which was not true.... and my last ticket involved with mods was having my front lcd screen on while driving, i didnt know it was illegal until then..... ive learned my lessons
Old 02-07-2004, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

No tickets for me, but got pulled over for tires extending beyond the body (thus the bushwacker extendaflares), and a second time for having a smoke plastic cover over the license plate (the officer didn't even notice the front plate missing). The wife did get a ticket for speeding a week after I installed the 33x12.5x15 tires (guess I could have told her the speedometer was off by about 10mph).
Old 02-07-2004, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

Re: where do i begin

Originally posted by 96LtdYota
[B]ok well let me firts start this with i live in an area where the local police are aweful and look for reasons to pull people over to make up for a lack of station funding..... Check out the website....
he looks a little too happy to be on that bike...
Old 02-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope. Never.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Not flaming anyone here... but I've been on other forums and it seems so strange to me how pissed people get when a cop gives them a citation for something they KNOW is illegal.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:50 PM

No mud flaps...... cost me $109 in Washington

Red
Old 02-07-2004, 08:22 PM

I was flagged down in a speed trap for apparently not having a front licence plate. When the officer stepped around the H2 in front of me that had been pulled over he saw my plate and let me go... Didnt say anything about the lack of mudflaps or clear corners with clear bulbs. I was kinda worried there for a minute.

Old 02-07-2004, 08:36 PM

Nope, I have never gotten a single ticket for anything.

Old 02-07-2004, 09:21 PM

I haven't received any tickets for any of the mods I have done. I think maybe about 2 years ago, I had blue turn signals, corners, back-up and rear signals. Boy, was I a ricer.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

$350 fine for having my dvd/navigation impropperly installed Apparently you are supposed to hook up a wire to the parking break
Old 02-07-2004, 09:36 PM

Re: where do i begin

Originally posted by 96LtdYota
ok well let me firts start this with i live in an area where the local police are aweful and look for reasons to pull people over to make up for a lack of station funding..... Check out the website.... http://www.ci.alamo-heights.tx.us/ah..._main_menu.htm click on bike patrol for the man responsible for 6 violations on one ticket,
If anyone's ever in San Antonio, be careful driving downtown around the Riverwalk, especially weekend nights. BIG night for writing silly traffic tickets.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member

I've yet to get one for mods. Although I always keep my eye open, it just sucks because sometimes I can't see the DPS officer until he's almost on top of me. Usually I will roll my windows down when I see one if the weather isn't too bad.

I thought I was going to get nailed the other day. I was pulling out of a gas station and didn't see the trooper coming through the intersection that was at the corner of the gas station. He drove right by me really slow and then turned in right where I was turning out. He stared at me the whole time. I knew he was going to pull a U-turn but instead he went to the dry cleaners that was built into the gas station. :pat: I know he knew my windows were way to dark but for some reason he didn't bother. That's $70 I don't have to pay.

I think my windows are the only mod that will get me a ticket.

Imagine how paranoid a police officer gets every time he has to walk up on a car with tinted windows and he can't tell if the driver is just some rice rocket jockey or some freak with a gun.
I can understand that. That's why I will roll down my windows when I get pulled over. That way he doesn't pull me out at gunpoint.

My windows are going to stay dark. Even if it means I have to take my doors off when inspection day comes.

Old 02-07-2004, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ben95m
Nope, I have never gotten a single ticket for anything.

That must be nice. You might want to knock on wood now...
Old 02-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by AgRunner06
That's why I will roll down my windows when I get pulled over. That way he doesn't pull me out at gunpoint.

A good tip to have - also another one is to have both hands within sight. The steering wheel is best.

Not that any reasonable cop will have you at gunpoint otherwise but it will ease their minds and possibly grant you a bit more leniency
Old 02-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

dont messs with cops

i have had the gun pulled on me and my gf which was scary, so dont ever do anythign wierd while being pulled over
Old 02-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Man, that sucks for you guys with crazy cops. Here in savannah, they could care less about someone with big tires or clear corners. They have better things to do. Hell, they barely break up parties. I have clear tails and the stupid bulbs are turing pink now after 2 months and i have yet to get a second look. Every other car here has limo tint, 20s and a system to rattle the pos car to shambles. The best thing to do with dark windows is to roll it down before he gets next to the car and as already mentioned put your hands where they can see you. My room mate is from New York and he got out of a ticket once because he put his keys on his roof when they stopped. Might not help us that much unless you show him because our trucks are so darn high...

Last edited by turboale; 02-08-2004 at 08:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Received A Ticket Due To Your Mods?