Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

green and red coolant

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Richard, I appreciate the clarification, but I believe the Prestone Extended Life 50/50 is based on OAT technology only (which is why it contains no Silicates, Phosphates or Borates) and this makes it easy to mix with other coolants as the public so often does. That is also why they claim to have such a long change interval (OAT technology actually increases protection with time, but the short term or in the case of cavitation is where you have issues). If it is OAT as I suspect, that would also make it a close cousin to Dexcool.

DAMN, so you are saying that the 50/50 "works with any color" is a close cousing to the dexcool????
Old 02-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
DAMN, so you are saying that the 50/50 "works with any color" is a close cousing to the dexcool????
Yes, but read the side of the bottle. If it says contains phosphates or silicates, then it likely doesn't have any OAT in there at all unless it claims to be long life or have a long change interval.

The idea isn't that this OAT only stuff will suddenly blow up your motor for no good reason, just that I believe there are better coolants designed for use in your truck. It's also a free country so now that you have all the info, use whatever makes floats your boat. I had been running the Prestone Long Life 5/150 orange coolant in mine for about 2 years before I decided that I just didn't feel comfortable using it. So did my engine blow up or spring a leak? No.....but I'm not going to chance any future issues.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-09-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

Richard, I appreciate the clarification, but I believe the Prestone Extended Life 50/50 is based on OAT technology only (which is why it contains no Silicates, Phosphates or Borates) and this makes it easy to mix with other coolants as the public so often does. That is also why they claim to have such a long change interval (OAT technology actually increases protection with time, but the short term or in the case of cavitation is where you have issues). If it is OAT as I suspect, that would also make it a close cousin to Dexcool.
I am in danger of learning something, so thanks for forcing me to read a bit.

After tracking down enough info, what I'm thinking is that you are right, PEL 50/50 is an organic tech. There is a lot of theory on cavitation and gel related problems. Also there have apparently been forumulation changes in the DEX-COOL spec to accomadate that potential problem.

Our worst problem in the 3VZE engine may be corrosion related, which seems to be best protected with the OAT spec. As to cavitation and/or gel related problems, that should show up as a temperature problem, which admittedly, many drivers might miss if they do not have high awareness of their engine temperature. The gel problem would show up as gel in the overflow, or on the bottom of the radiator cap. Those are checks I make periodically anyway.

In any event, I've learned something, and will stick with Prestone Extended Life 50/50 for the benefits of the OAT technology, while carefully watching for any signs of cavitation or gel. My bet is that I will continue to have the best of both worlds, ie: long life, best corrosion protection, convenience and price.

Thanks for the info. Feel free to add any other observations.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rdharper
I am in danger of learning something, so thanks for forcing me to read a bit.
No worries, that's what YT is here for.
I learn new stuff all the time here too and it's not a crime last time I checked.

The good thing about OAT coolant is you can usually add it to other types too, so you could mix with phosphate or silcate based coolants to give you a bit more stort term and cavitation protection.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-09-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by deserttoy84
im with you... I dont understand anything that everyone is saying but it sounds like pink is the best for any toyota.
Yeah, but now after reading more and according to Jamie, it looks like the red is the way to go! I'm gonna have to do this soon. It's got me worried now! Yikes!
Old 02-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

No worries, that's what YT is here for.
I learn new stuff all the time here too and it's not a crime last time I checked.

The good thing about OAT coolant is you can usually add it to other types too, so you could mix with phosphate or silcate based coolants to give you a bit more stort term and cavitation protection.
I believe many European "hybrid" formulations do just that. Silicate for short term and OAT type mix for long term.

So far (6 months), I've had rock solid temp control, nothing but clean coolant, and zero coolant added. Hits the hi and low mark on heating and cooling exactly as it should.

At the one year mark, I will draw out one gallon and replace with one new gallon of 50/50. At that time, I will check for clarity and gel components.

And report back on this thread, good or bad. It will need a bump by that time...
Old 02-09-2007, 05:32 PM
CJM

Originally Posted by Beartracker
CJM, I'm not hear to argue with you or to start some sort of trouble. I have been at this stuff for about 45 years of driving and working on my own vehicles. My statements are based on fact as stated in the manual and they are the statements of the Toyota engineers. If you choose not to believe them or you feel you know better then they do then that's fine, but don't put me down for pointing out what they state in person and in the manual. They do point out what to use and what not to use and that's what I was stating here.
With all due respect if my truck, cars and any vehicle I have ever driven is fine I dotn care what Toyota says or the manual says. The manual also says the fuel filter is a lifetime part...so I only trust it as far as I can thrown it.

If my own mechanic who runs a pro street dragster runs plain old prestone and only flushes that car every 3 years and its fine then I dont see a problem running it in my truck.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:21 AM

Well would prestone's version of "dex cool" be bad too? I think prestone would of "updated" there coolant so they arent liable either. Is the DEX COOL OEM coolant causing these problems? Either way its coming out for pink, but i odnt htink the prestone dex cool is THAT bad. It been fine a few cars we own.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rdharper
I believe many European "hybrid" formulations do just that. Silicate for short term and OAT type mix for long term.
Yes, you're exactly right.
That is what they call the hybrid OAT or HOAT type coolant for short.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by deserttoy84
Well would prestone's version of "dex cool" be bad too? I think prestone would of "updated" there coolant so they arent liable either. Is the DEX COOL OEM coolant causing these problems? Either way its coming out for pink, but i odnt htink the prestone dex cool is THAT bad. It been fine a few cars we own.
I think you're getting caught up on brand names rather than focusing on what the chemistry is and how it works. All the current "long life" coolants that I know of use a form of OAT protection. This protection may be augmented by turning the coolant into a HOAT most often by the addition of silicates (as you'd find in something like a G-05 coolant). Part of the confusion is that Dexcool is a standard, not a brand name like Prestone or Zerex. To the best of my knowledge, the "Dexcool" OAT only type coolants (whether it's made by prestone or some other brand) still have issues with short term protection and cooling system cavitation. GM clearly had issues running the original Dexcool in its vehicles, but I suspect that if they are probably going to address this in a new version of the Dexcool standard. It sounds to me like they may now be turning it into a HOAT type coolant instead, but I guess time will tell.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-10-2007 at 03:08 AM.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:44 AM

For what it's worth:

I had a coolant flush done at my local dealer. They put green coolant in the 4Runner to fill. With other Toyotas they used pink (my old '95 V6 PU). I think it's all the same stuff.

Color really doesn't matter. I've got blue stuff in my BMW (256k miles on that engine). What you need to check is the side of the bottle and make sure it says it's OK for aluminum. For most coolant on the market, this is the case. There aren't too many engines out there without a good amount of aluminum anymore.

The bigger issue is making sure your coolant stays fresh. This means flushing every two years or so. Acids build up and can start to corrode things otherwise.

It doesn't matter if it's ethylene glycol or propylene glycol. Propylene glycol is less toxic and has a slightly lower heat transfer coefficient. Everyone says Dexcool sucks, even GM. So stay away from Dexcool.

If your coolant is aluminum safe and isn't too old, then don't worry about it.

MadCityRich
2002 4Runner Ltd