Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Great Covers custom seat covers installed (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Great Covers custom seat covers installed (pics)

There are just a few options when it comes to covering worn factory seats. I started shopping around for seat covers when the tear in my driver's side seat got to the point of no return.

I wanted something that would match my factory leather so I didn't have to cover the rear seats too. An LC friend of mine recommended a company called Great Covers. I guess a lot of the LC guys use this company to cover worn and torn seats.

Lead time was about 8 business days. The seat covers came well-packaged and in excellent condition.

Install was a breeze with the seats removed. Fit and finish is nice. The only complaint I have is that there is no lumbar support lever hole for the lever to slip through (UPDATE: Resolved, see post #11). So, it is technically under the cover now; still adjustable, just hidden. Anyway, the color-matching is awesome. I think they got my need for an Oak color dead on. The samples they sent me represent the final product perfectly. I am happy with them. The stitching appears to be durable and well-placed; with double and triple-stitching in places it's needed. Plenty of extra pockets are incorporated into the seats in the right places. Cost is $139 (online special) for both front seats and shipping ran me about $13.

Before:

After:

After 2:

(The white thing you see at the bottom of the driver's seat is an extra pocket hanging down a bit. Pulling the sides minimizes it.).

After 3 (rear view):

Let me know if there are any questions. If I could do it again, I would. On a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being best, I rate these an 8.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 07-14-2006 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:10 PM

Great replacements at a great price!
Old 07-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Those look great. You also can't beat the price.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:32 AM

I'm just throwing this out there -- but having the inside of the seats, do you think it possible to replace the cloth with this leather to incorporate seat warmers?
Old 07-13-2006, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those look really good! Nice find.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice! Are you happy with the fit? Are they loose or do they require a break-in period?
Old 07-13-2006, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by OutdoorLiving
I'm just throwing this out there -- but having the inside of the seats, do you think it possible to replace the cloth with this leather to incorporate seat warmers?
Hi -

Not sure I completely understand the question. If you are asking if there is enough space to put seat warmers between the existing OEM seat and the new cover, I would say probably since there are adjustment straps on the seat bottom part. However, I would check with Great Covers to determine if the covers are designed to be exposed to sustained heat in a somewhat direct manner. So, I am not sure.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Churnd
Nice! Are you happy with the fit? Are they loose or do they require a break-in period?
I am happy with the fit. They are a tad loose, but they have adjustment straps on the bottom and a velcro overlap that can be adjusted as needed. Don't get me wrong, these do not have a tight leather feel or anything...but at the same time you could probably fool passengers into thinking they were OEM.

This will sound funny, but I haven't had a chance to "use" them yet. I rarely drive my 4Runner (due to carpooling with my wife) and it was too dang hot yesterday to sit on the seats (I was sweaty with no shirt on). Tomorrow I am driving to work, so I will have a better "seat of my pants" review for you .
Old 07-13-2006, 05:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellent timing Christian... I have a tear in my driver's seat that would be the step-brother of your old one!

EDIT: What color is that?? "L4"? It's the same as mine and I can't tell if mine is L2 or L4. (of course, the black waterproof looks interesting!)

Last edited by midiwall; 07-13-2006 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, I have L4 "Oak." They will send you a bunch of samples Mark if you want to look at different options, just email them using the sales email address. A guy named Lyle should respond fairly quickly.

I am going to let them know about that lumbar support lever. I am a bit disappointed that they don't have a hole for that. I leave it on the same setting all the time so I don't really care, but it still should be good feedback to them.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

*UPDATE*

Finally had a chance to "use" the covers. They feel great. Nice and soft. The one thing that is different is that you can't slide across them as easy as you could on the old leather seats which is fine by me. It simply takes a bit more of a hop to get up and in the vehicle.

Also, the lack of a lumbar support lever hole that I complained about initially has been resolved. I emailed Great Covers and they told me to check inside the pocket for a small hole (nicely stitched BTW). Sure enough, there was a hole there. I slid the cover down over the lever and headed on my way.

New rating: 8.5 out of 10.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Yes, I have L4 "Oak." They will send you a bunch of samples Mark if you want to look at different options, just email them using the sales email address. A guy named Lyle should respond fairly quickly.
Excellent... writing them now! I may just change from leather to cloth, or go to a different color. COOL!

And thumbsup on the lumbar lever hole!
Old 07-20-2006, 05:32 AM

Ordered!

I went with what was stock for my truck (L4). I was really hoping to be able to pull off the black waterproof (C1) but after dragging a fabric sample through a pile of dust on the dash, it would have just held onto too much dirt.

Thank you Christian!

side note... if you ask for fabric samples, they'll come from "GT Covers" in Aurora, CO. If you end up visiting _their_ site to place an order, you'll find that they're having the same $20 off Internet Special Pricing, but... The end net price is $10 more than Great Covers.

Bottom line, be sure to order from Great Covers! Tell Lyle that Christian and Mark say "hi'!
Old 07-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

Cool Mark! Be sure to post some pics after you get them installed. I definitely want to make sure their quality is consistent before I continue to recommend them to other people.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:01 AM

And... Voila! (and yeup, I switched to the black )

I just kinda' pulled it on last night so it's not tight, but you'll get the general idea:

(click for a larger pic)

The hole for the lumbar support adjustment is kinda' sloppy. I haven't looked at it real close - Christian, does the molding piece come out and pinch the fabric in place?

The fabric is excellent - this is the "waterproof black". I had ordered the factory match leatherette, but I changed my mind - and my order. HUGE kudos to "Lyle" in being able to pull the order off of the cutting table and get it changed.

I'm VERY happy. I'll have to see how these do in the sun, but I'm told that this fabric will actually stay cooler than the leatherette since it breaths.

WOOHOO!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Looks good Mark! Nice color choice.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
The hole for the lumbar support adjustment is kinda' sloppy. I haven't looked at it real close - Christian, does the molding piece come out and pinch the fabric in place?
Wow Mark! Nice idea on going w/black. They look great.

I am sure that lumbar lever comes off, but it would be extremely difficult to re-attach the C-clip once the cover was pulled on and the lever was inside the pocket. Is yours inside a pocket now like mine?

That is pretty much my only complaint with these covers: They went a tad pocket-crazy, which in turn "hid" the lumbar adjustment lever. Oh well, these are a screamin' deal IMO. I admire them each time I climb in the 4R.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 08-02-2006 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Christian, Mark..These look fantastic! I should order some, as my leather's lookin pretty bad, too.

Mark has a limited with the electronic lumbar, while the SR5's have a lever. I think he's curious if the fabric goes under the electric switch for the lumber..just a bit different from the lever.

At any rate, I like them!
Old 08-02-2006, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by gapguy
Mark has a limited with the electronic lumbar, while the SR5's have a lever. I think he's curious if the fabric goes under the electric switch for the lumber..just a bit different from the lever.
This is true Mr. Neil! I still haven't really looked at it... I will this morning.

Last edited by midiwall; 08-02-2006 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
And... Voila! (and yeup, I switched to the black )

I just kinda' pulled it on last night so it's not tight, but you'll get the general idea:

(click for a larger pic)

The fabric is excellent - this is the "waterproof black". I had ordered the factory match leatherette, but I changed my mind - and my order. HUGE kudos to "Lyle" in being able to pull the order off of the cutting table and get it changed.

I'm VERY happy. I'll have to see how these do in the sun, but I'm told that this fabric will actually stay cooler than the leatherette since it breaths.

WOOHOO!
So how did the covers make out all these years? Anymore pictures?