Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

GPS Map Programs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS Map Programs?

Hey, well I'm getting an eTrex Legend GPS unit on monday, and I want to get a map program to go along with it. I'm just not sure which one I should get. I went to REI today and was looking at them, and I think I found a couple that I really like, I just can't figure out which one to get. One is Garmin Mapsourse US TOPO and the other is National Geographic TOPO! California

I really like how the national geographic one looks, but I can't find any place that shows how the Garmin one looks.

So does anyone have either of these (or a different one I didn't mention)? And how do you like it? Does it work well? Also do they already show trails on them, or are they just maps? I'm going to be using my GPS and mapping software mainly for mapping out hiking trails, 4x4 trails, and maybe areas that I go kayaking.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

-Braden
Old 10-11-2002, 05:24 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Those are the same two I recommended in another post to BTown.
I have both, but the WA. one for the Natinal Geo one on 7 CDs.

The Garmin one is PC faked maps, while the National Geo one is from real sat photos.
I'd go for it.

It does show rivers, trails, ect.
Another cool feature is the ability to auto track and set your waypoints as often as you want.
http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/temp2/gps.jpg

It will record them on the map for you, then you can print them out, and also upload them to your GPS to use in the rig without a laptop.

I'm taking a road trip in the morning to drop off my rock sliderz, and I'll see how it does tracking the trip going out there.

Tons of reading here:
http://joe.mehaffey.com/

More info on the NG one:
http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/

Goes into detail below what your CA one does.
http://www.trailsillustrated.com/acb...D=154&CATID=35

TOPO! California

National Geographic's Topo!® CD-ROM set for California contains every topographic map you could possibly need for the state. The set includes 9 CD-ROMs with more than 2,000 scanned USGS maps enhanced with digital 3-D shading. You'll be able to interact with the maps in more ways than you would think possible.

Draw freehand routes and upload to a GPS
Reference thousands of preloaded GPS waypoints
Create custom text, symbols, and map overlays
1:24,000 scale maps with seamless statewide coverage
Navigate and scroll through the entire map area without borders
Photo quality resolution for printing
Works with all color and black & white printers supported by Windows
Supports most popular handheld GPS receivers manufactured by Garmin, Eagle, Lowrance, and Magellan
System Requirements: Microsoft Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, NT; 16 MB of memory; double speed CD-ROM drive; 256-color monitor; 486 DX/66MHz PC or higher.
Direct link requires input/output capabilities and a PC cable (sold separately)
Upgrade to addional functionality, including Palm and Pocket PC compatibility, with Topo! Sync USA.
Print your maps on Adventure Paper, our durable, tear-resistant, waterproof paper for inkjet printers.
This set will enthrall the tech-savvy outdoor explorer. You won't find mapping software with more detail or customization options. It's an excellent planning tool for backcountry adventures or road trips.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:39 PM

so far i've been using Garmin Mapsource Roads and Rec, and with the 4.7 update to my ver 3.0, it works great. i have yet to live track, but when downloading from the GPS, it's all right there, as you've traveled.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the info Corey That pic you have of the National Geographic one was actually what got me started thinking about getting one of the map softwares. I've decided that I'm going to get the National Geographic topo for California. I'll probably pick up the Garmin one, and the Roads & Rec one that Cobb suggested if I can find a good deal on them. But for now I think that the National Geographic one will be perfect for what I need. And i'd really prefer satelite topos compared to the PC generated ones from the Garmin software.

Thanks for the help

-Braden
Old 10-15-2002, 09:28 PM

Hey Corey (or anyone else that can help me ), You said you have both the Garmin US Topo Software, and the National Geographic Topo! Software for Washington right? I have no clue which one I should get. I was checking out the Garmin site, and it has an online "preview" of how the Topo software works, and the amount of detail, and from what i've seen of that and what i've seen of the National Geographic one, I really like how the Natl. Geographic one looks, it seems like it's a lot more detailed. But I really like how you can load more detailed maps onto the GPS unit (I don't know if yours supports it or not, but my eTrex Legend can have maps from Mapsource/Garmin software uploaded to it) with the Garmin Topo software.

I've read so much info on both of these programs, and i've read both good and bad things about both :confused: At the moment, I only have enough money to get one of them (i'll more than likely buy which ever one I don't buy when I have enough money ) I'm curious to know which you would suggest I get. I really like the idea of having a more detailed map loaded onto my GPS, but I also really like how the maps are displayed with the Natl. Geographic software. Do they both pretty much have the same information (trails, roads, streams, pre-loaded waypoints, etc...)? I remember reading that the Natl. Geographic one has "thousands of preloaded waypoints" and I checked out the Garmin software and it had waypoints also, but it isn't nearly as detailed as the National Geographic one.

Hmmmmm after writing that, I think I actually just made up my mind I'm probably going to get the National Geographic one, simply because I can do without a more detailed map for now, and I really like how the National Geographic one is displayed But if you wouldn't mind, could you still recommend which one you think is better? And are the more detailed maps that you can upload to the GPS with the Garmin software worth it (I'm sure they are, but i'm curious to know whether it's easier to have the extra details with the Garmin Topo software, or to have VERY detailed maps on the computer, and then upload the waypoints, and route to the GPS with the National Geographic?)

Sorry if any of this doesn't make sense, i've spend the past 4 hours reading everything I can about both programs, and I can't figure out which one I should get and it's making my head hurt

Thanks in advance for any help

-Braden
Old 10-15-2002, 09:38 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I am under the assumption the Nat. one is better as it uses real US geo survey maps.
My old E-trex can also have waypoints uploaed to it via the PC.

I would get the one that has better maps.
I have both software, and I like the Nat Geo one better.
Corey
Old 10-15-2002, 09:57 PM

Wow that was a quick reply

Thanks for the help I'm going to go ahead and get the National Geographic one tommorow, if I get a chance to goto REI or CompUSA (if CompUSA doesn't have it, i'll drive down to REI)

I read some reviews about the Garmin Topo software, and a lot of people were complaing about that the elevation lines are too far apart, and it's not very accurate. That's what really got me leaning towards the National Geographic one, and plus I really like that the National Geographic ones use the real USGS Maps instead of the computer generated Garmin maps.

Thanks again for the help

-Braden