95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gotta Love Them Downey's!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta Love Them Downey's!!

Got my Downey's installed today...

Only took the shop two hours to complete, 100 bucks for that and then another 50+tax for some other loose end stuff (oil leak, manifold leak and other stuff).

Anyway, I just got home from football practice and I still have three hours of homework to do so I will have to take pics in the morning.

However I was able to measure the distance between the rear wheel and the wheel well and the front wheel and the wheel well and you are not gonna believe it...but they were both EXACTLY 6 and 7/8" apart. So this rig is now perfectly level. Granted that is with no occupants and a half tank of gas but overall that is pretty darn good.

I will have pics tomorrow afternoon, I should be able to find a good after pic from the side to show the SERIOUS sag I had goin on before, it looked like a 90 year old woman if ya know what I'm sayin!:pat:, and a pic showing the final product.

I love the coils, I can't wait to go off-roading, I'm gonna do some trail riding and hill climbing tomorrow (I have 15 acres filled with fun stuff to traverse and run over and stuff). It's amazing how much higher the back is now. When I lowered the tailgate it comes up MUCH higher than it did before. I am VERY happy with them so far...

I wanted to thank EVERYONE who gave me advice on what do, where to get them, how long it would take, etc...

Thanks again and once again, YOTATECH ROCKS! :rockband:

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 08-27-2003 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:08 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad you got them on Chris.
My Downey HDs are still one of my favorite mods to date.
I have many mods, but they changed the whole attitute and altitude of the rig at once.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

just wait until you park next to another 2nd gen without the coils. then you will really notice the difference. i am with Corey...this is my favorite mod to date!!!
Old 08-27-2003, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by metal22lica
i am with Corey...this is my favorite mod to date!!!
I'm going to have to second that response.

Old 08-27-2003, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Same with my OMEs, I would like to feel the same about a set of downey adjustables up front but... 44Runner, after recieving my money has decided to not respond to any of my emails after 2 weeks. Hum... He said he has been busy (even before he got the money) but this is gettung a bit rediculous. I wanted to get them in before I headed to school so I could get some free help to get them in, but noooOOOOOOooooo.... Now I don't know anyone that knows enough to help me, and no I don't trust myself enough either. He seemed like a really nice guy so I haven't given up hope yet but, you can only last so long with out any notification of what is going on. I mean, I was getting a hell of a deal! But, I don't know whats happened to him...?

Sorry bud, don't mean to steal your thread. I know the feeling of just doing a mod as noticable as that. I remember when I first got my OMEs in. I would make up excuses to go drive around. Just puts a smile on your face doesn't it?? And about what corey about parking next to another 4Runner... I guess you could say I know that feeling too

Last edited by turboale; 08-27-2003 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Austin...so you sent him the money..but havent gotten them yet? nice pic also!!
Old 08-27-2003, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

That would be correct. The last email I got from him was, I got the money two days ago and I deposited (spelling looks wrong, oh well) it today, its the first day I have had any time to do anything, I have tomorrow off, so they will hopefully go out tomorrow. Was basicly what he said... and thats the last ive heard.

Last edited by turboale; 08-27-2003 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:30 PM
Contributing Member

Congrats Fink knew you would like them. Now wait till you get new shocks it'll really make a difference. You ever get them Sylvania's in?
Old 08-28-2003, 03:49 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Money?

I want to know what a 16 year old says or does to get enough cash to do all these mods...

...so I can do the same!

If only I had had my 4Runner when I was 16...consider yourself blessed FINK!!!

My first ride at 16 was a 64 1/2 Ford Mustang. It was SCHWEEET!

Brian
Old 08-28-2003, 04:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Waskilly...
I had a 66 Mustang at 17. Great car, but the 4Runner is better at hitting the dirt. Used to drag the Mustangs butt all the time when I headed down 2-tracks.

I guess I'm gonna have to think about fixing my sag now. My wife has been telling me the 4Runner looks like it's dragging it's butt. That sounds like carte blanche to get some OME's to me.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:07 AM
Banned

Green Light

Originally posted by gwhayduke
Waskilly...
I had a 66 Mustang at 17. Great car, but the 4Runner is better at hitting the dirt. Used to drag the Mustangs butt all the time when I headed down 2-tracks.

I guess I'm gonna have to think about fixing my sag now. My wife has been telling me the 4Runner looks like it's dragging it's butt. That sounds like carte blanche to get some OME's to me.
That sounds like she said "You need to spend whatever it takes dear to fix that awful sag in your poor 4Runner" Sounds like a green light for OMEs to me!!!

I wish my wife would say that!!!!

Brian
Old 08-28-2003, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, I agree. However, I have to take care of my grad school tuition today. Maybe get started buying the pieces next payday.

I put Gabriels on it last year and hate them. So I'm thinking OME comfort springs since they've got more capacity than stock, but are still a progressive spring.

But for shocks, there are 3 choices...OME comfort which are still supposed to be pretty good on the trail. Edelbrock or Bilsteins.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:15 AM

Posted by Corey
Glad you got them on Chris.
My Downey HDs are still one of my favorite mods to date.
I have many mods, but they changed the whole attitute and altitude of the rig at once.

Fink,

I concur with Corey, my Downey HDs are still one of my favorite mod too. They made my rig look tougher and level out the butt sag. Now go get some pair of Aisin manual locking hubs, if you don't have them yet.

Noel
Old 08-28-2003, 10:37 AM

hey i have one thing to say, i know 44runner has been kinda busy with school having just started and him working on campus and such. If you like i could knock a little sense into him, well not really. but i might mention that you would like your stuff.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like this was a very wise decision.

About the 16 year old $$ thing...along with school, I am a linebacker for my High School football team, work two jobs and work around my house/land every chance I get (i get paid $10/hr. since I usually have to work in 100+ degree heat).

But in order to mod my truck enough to make me happy, I had to sell my kick computer. I built it from the ground up and had just about everything I wanted in it. But I figure my priorities had changed since the only thing I used it for was dloading/burning music and getting online. So now I use my Dell laptop with all my other stuff (monitor, surround sound system, mouse, keyboard, etc..)

Anyway, I work and sold my computer for 1000 bucks. That got me off to a good start. I HAD 1100 bucks in my checking account, now I have $138.99

I guess cars are more expensive than I was anticipating. But I am VERY happy with all of the things that I have done with that money.

UKMyers - Silverstars are in and I love them!

The next thing I do will either be Aisins, Husky liners or front window tinting.

Aisins will come first, thanks for all the input guys.

If there is ANYBODY on here that hasn't done the Downey's yet, I recommend them 110%!!

About the comparison between my rig and other 2nd Gens, I was at the mall today and this dude pulled up in what he thought was a pimped out rig. I was inside but was watching him, he got out, locked it, walked by my rig and stopped and looked at the back end. He bent down and looked inside my wheel well to see what the heck I had under there and he shook his head and walked away. So yeah, that is definately a good feeling. It feels like I put a lift kit on there...its AWESOME!

Again, thanks for all the help!

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 08-28-2003 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:26 AM
Banned

Show me the PICS!

A young man with your caliper of audio/computer/visual equipment must have a digital camera? Where's the PICS?

Brian
Old 08-28-2003, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

I sure do have a digi cam, just no time. I'm at school now, I'm an aide for my computer teacher (best teacher ever) so I have this period pretty much free unless he feels like making me work.

Anyway, its not the cleanest thing in the world right now (due to the lack of pavement on my dirt road and driveway) but I will go ahead and take one.

Fink
Old 08-28-2003, 12:05 PM
Banned

4Runners love dirt!

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
I sure do have a digi cam, just no time. I'm at school now, I'm an aide for my computer teacher (best teacher ever) so I have this period pretty much free unless he feels like making me work.

Anyway, its not the cleanest thing in the world right now (due to the lack of pavement on my dirt road and driveway) but I will go ahead and take one.

Fink
Oh the joys of high school!

Go ahead and take the pics. With all this talk about how good it looks we want to see...

Brian
Old 08-28-2003, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

glad to hear you got em in chris. cant wait to see the pics
Old 08-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

I took em about an hour ago so I had adequate lighting but I need to do my homework.

I will post them later tonight...

Fink

Quick Reply: Gotta Love Them Downey's!!