Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Is this a good deal? Looking at a used high-mileage 3rd Gen.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a good deal? Looking at a used high-mileage 3rd Gen.

Please give me your feedback on whether this deal is worth pursuing. IT's a good price but not much has been done in the way of maintenance. How much would it cost me to make this thing in tip-top shape? Thanks!

ORIGINAL AD:

1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4X4 V6
Automatic Transmission
Mileage: 206,500
Color: Tannish Silver (I think they called it champagne at the dealer)
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Tilt Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
Single Compact Disc
Leather
Roof Rack
Privacy Glass
Running Boards
Towing Pkg
Alloy Wheels
Ovrsize Off-Rd Tires
New tires with in the past 4 months. Change oil monthly as I travel for work with this car. Mostly highway miles. Been in the family since purchased new in '96 by my brother. Call to have a look or for a test drive. Asking $5500 ($500 less than the blue book value for a fair condition '96 4 Runner with these options) OBO.

MY EMAIL TO THE GUY:

I am interested in your 4runner but obviously concerned about the high mileage. Do you have records or knowledge of any of the following being worked on or replaced: timing belt, water pump, O2 sensor, brakes, shocks, transmission fluid, wheel bearings?

HIS RESPONSE:

I understand your concerns. here are answers to your questions below.
timing belt, - never been replaced
water pump, - never been replaced
O2 sensor, - just replaced about 2 or 3 months back, i have the receipt.
brakes, I have changed the pads probably 3 times in the past 5 years. I have had the old rotors machined probably 3 times before finally replacing them about 6 or 8 months ago. I am pretty sure I still have the receipt for this.
shocks, never been replaced. there was a recall on them, but I never got them replaced. I believe that recall is still valid.
transmission fluid, never been changed.
wheel bearings? - never been changed.
I am waiting for the rain to hold off before I wash it, and then I will post some pics. I should be able to get some up by this weekend.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds pretty typical to me. I would want to change the tranny fluid. If it has never been shanged then I would be asking about the diffs as well. timing belt - not to worry - just do it. Water pump - not to worry - a lot of people replace these early, but it isn't a maintenance issue. shocks are probably getting weak but mine lasted 12 years.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Banned

timing belts never been replaced?? those are usually replaced within the first 100k miles...
Old 11-30-2005, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by garrett1478
timing belts never been replaced?? those are usually replaced within the first 100k miles...

Yeah, but as long as it doesnt break on me, I can just put in a new one and be good to go, right?

My main concern is the Auto tranny with 200k miles with no fluid change. Is that just asking for a new tranny if I buy this 4Runner???
Old 11-30-2005, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rizzoss669
Yeah, but as long as it doesnt break on me, I can just put in a new one and be good to go, right?

My main concern is the Auto tranny with 200k miles with no fluid change. Is that just asking for a new tranny if I buy this 4Runner???
i would say so. I have 204k on mine and ive only flushed it once.....(didnt really know anything about vehicles) Ive been told to just leave it in until the tranny goes. Is the Manuf. suggested every 60 or 80k?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The best way to tell is to look at the fluid and smell it on the dipstick. If it is dirty or smells burnt then I would avoid it I would also be concerned about the coolant. Not changed in 9 years! If you do buy it, every fluid should be changed as well as the timing belt and water pump.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rizzoss669

A timing belt at that mileage could litterally go at any time (even on the way home).....get AAA tow coverage first!

The auto tranny is another serious issue which would require inspection in person. That is one I would just change the fluid in the pan (be sure to clean the filter screen too) several times, do not do a flush.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Localmotion
i would say so. I have 204k on mine and ive only flushed it once.....(didnt really know anything about vehicles) Ive been told to just leave it in until the tranny goes. Is the Manuf. suggested every 60 or 80k?
Usually it is recommended at 60K to 90K, but sometimes as low as 30k.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like the mileage isn't really a big deal as he is the only one who drove it and it was mainly highway miles however the tranny fluid might be a concern. Check it out first!

Fink
Old 11-30-2005, 06:42 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree as with ALL Toyotas, mileage is pretty irrelevant.

You can look up the maintenance intervals on Toyota.com, but it's a real pain - more designed to answer the "I'm approaching xxxmiles - what service is required".

Here's what I use:
Coolant - yearly or so
Tranny fluid (auto) - 50k miles
Diffs, transfer case, manual tranny gear oil (synthetic) - 100k miles
Timing belt - 60k miles
Brakes, shocks, wheel bearings - as necessary

I recently bought a '93 and went through all this stuff because documentation wasn't available. Here's some idea of cost:
Timing belt $30 installed myself, 4-5 hrs
Shocks - $150 installed myself 3-4 hrs (last shock took 2 hrs!)

When I bought my Impala SS, it had about 50k miles on it, and the tranny fluid had never been changed. My roomate at the time was a mechanic, so he dropped the pan and it was ugly. Sure enough, there was a valve body in my future...I oul have a mechanic check it out, with special focus on the tranny as this would be VERY expensive to repair.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check the trans fluid. if it's dark and has a burnt smell, then run.

if it's decent and has no hint of a burnt smell, then it's a decent deal. talk him down below $5k and you'll be good to go.

the timing belt and water pump aren't too much of an issue, but if it breaks, it will only leave you stranded, so get some AAA if you plan on driving it much before changing it.

if the timing belt hasn't been changed, then the other belts and spark plugs, etc probably haven't been changed either.

if i were you and the trans fluid checked out, i'd offer $4500 and go as high as about $4800. remind him of the 90k interval on the TB & WP and the 30k interval on diff fluid and 60k interval on the trans fluid that he's neglected. if he's that honest w/ everyone, he'll be hanging onto it unless another toyota enthusiest comes along.

from there, i'd swap the diff fluid, drain and refill the trans w/ regular ATF, swap the transfer case fluid, change the oil (again, w/ regular 5W30 and a toyota or napa gold filter) and then drive it a while to make sure it's what you want. if it turns out to be in good condition otherwise, then i'd consider the TB & WP swap.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:05 AM

FWIW, I just picked up a 97 SR5 for $5800. The main differences are cloth seats, rear locker, and 133K miles. It needs new tires, and I'm not sure about maintenance issues, so I'm going to put in new belts, plugs, wires, fluids, thermostat, water pump, and timing belt. This way I know when everything was changed, and I can keep up with a good maintenance schedule. I'd definitely try to get him under $5k.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:42 AM

Flush the brake lines also, after I got my 97 the pedal was super mushy. Bled out the whole system and the stuff that came out looked like cola with bubbles.

Talk him down $500 so you have some cash to do all the fluids. But take Bamachem's advice. If the tranny fluid looks burnt or dirty then walk away. It means that the tranny is dead but just not know it yet. Introducing new tranny fluid to it will ruin it.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:01 AM

Where is this 4Runner located? Have you looked at it? Do you need someone to do a first glance for you?

4Peanut
Old 12-01-2005, 11:11 AM

Thanks guys! Great advice.

I'll see if I can check it out tonite. I'm a noob to the 4runner, so can anyone tell me where in the engine department I can located the tranny fluid dipstick? Also, what should I look for on the test drive to see if the tranny is good or bad?

I could also purchase another 4runner for about $9000 that has 140k miles but has been perfectly maintained. Only difference is color and has cloth seats. Maybe I should just sack up and get the one that I KNOW is in good shape? It's a big price difference though. HELP!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 11:14 AM

One other thing about the high-mileage cheap one. I took the VIN# to the dealership last night. They said the rear suspension recall is still outstanding and that I could get it done. They had no information about the head gasket recall though. Does that mean it has already been done or that the is one of the VIN #s that doesn't qualify?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know the 96 Tacoma v-6 had a head gasket recall. Im not sure about the 4Runners.
I also know the time for a free fix by Toyota has passed.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, some 96's and early 97's had a HG problem (external flaw). The dealer should be able to tell you immediately if you qualify, based on the VIN. I even got a rental car and some exhaust studs replaced during my recall deal. All free of charge.

The rear suspension recall replaces the rear springs and conical bump stops if it is 4WD. On a 2WD, just the bump stops are replaced.

Based on what I see in the first post (sellers response), I would avoid this vehicle.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 12-01-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
while im not scared of a runner with that many miles i would have a hard time paying that much for one with that many miles on it.

id low ball them at $4000 or

$5000 with all the fluids changed and timming belt/water pump service done.

THey'll give you a song and dance about "well they cant do it for that" and "well thats why its xxxx off blue book" or whatever

you counter with... ya and im shure you told the guy that traded it in, "it hasnt had all this service done in so long, it would take us XXXX ($1500+) to do all the service we would have to do to sell it so we can only give you $2000 tradein on it.

and sence you HAVNT done all that service but you also belive it affects the value im saying ill take care of the service for $4000 your still makeing 2K on the deal or you can do the service and ill buy it for $5000. Either way your still making plenty off the deal.

you haggle some more and come up with $4500
Old 12-02-2005, 07:47 PM

FWIW I paid 5500 for my 1 owner 96 limited non-e-locker t4r, that had 135k on it, every maintenance recorded and still has the window sticker. it has one door ding and is missing one rear floormat. other than that is in great shape, no paint flakeing or anything. runs awesome too.