Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gonna Line-X the Rig...whatcha think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gonna Line-X the Rig...whatcha think?

I had started another thread here and the idea was thrown out to Line-X the rig. I thought, hmmm....that might be cool. I was at a bud's house earlier this week and he has it in the bed of his Ram. It's pretty amazing stuff.

So we went over to the Line-X place and told them what I wanted to do...they were all excited by the project actually. I asked if they have done something like this before and they had just completed a whole job on a Tundra. They've done other cars, too.

I'm not going to do the WHOLE rig though...I'm going to have it go up to just below the strips that are on the side. I like the stripes and I like the red. The paint is in really good shape. I'll have the entire tailgate done. The Line-X will be black with the shiney Line-X stuff added as a protectorant.

I have some minor dings that I wanted to have taken out, but it was more than I wanted to spend. This way, I get a durable finish AND I don't have to fark with doing the body work.

I think the two tone will be cool...the only problem now is they say that they need to have it for up to FIVE DAYS, but a minimum of three. There is a lot of prep work that needs to happen, etc...

So, whatcha think? Cool? Not cool? Dumb idea? I'm curious to see what you guys think...

Old 11-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Banned

YAY I played part in your car!!!! w00t makes me so proud of myself
Old 11-11-2004, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

good idea. there's a 1st gen i've seen on the board that's had that done. a couple of us, myself included, are considering it as well.

i didn't know that kind of time is involved in labor.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

A buddy of mine had his Taco Line-X on the bottom half of the rocker panels and across the wheel wells, simulationg fender flares. I already have plans to do something similar to my 4Runner.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Kickass! I didn't know if I was crazy or not! And Gangus2006, I wasn't even sure if you were serious when you mentioned it in my paint thread...!

What I found in talking with the shop about it was a little weird. Even though it could take up to 5 days, it wouldn't cost me more than 800 bones.

I'm glad you guys like the idea...! I'm excited about doing it, just gotta find five days that I can hand off the rig to them.

So the two tone thing...you don't see anything weird about it? What I like about it, among other things, is that I can leave the red and not worry (beyond reason) about the door jambs and those places.

I've got the Bushwacker flares coming and should be here early next week (bought from another YT'er)...should be dang sweet in a month or so when it's done (but it'll never REALLY be done... )

I got the feeling that the guys at the shop really were excited by doing it and not just making a sale. They are very enthusiastic about the product.

Any downsides that you think I may be overlooking?

Thanks, d00dz!

Old 11-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Banned

I saw this red F350 here that had its bottom half Line-X'd...looked pretty good...Thats why I mentioned it...

Also, there was a bronco that was completely Line-X'd, that looked damn nice...

Your truck is gonna look great!
Old 11-11-2004, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

I was going to paint my ARB to match my factory two-tone, but i have now changed plans. I have made an appt. for Line-X the bumper and two-tone. it's cheaper than paint and obviously more durable.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:27 AM

I plan to do the same to my 93 pick up all under the cab and engine compartment along with under the box and inside it. should help with the inevitable rust on the box floor seams. that price is pretty good too.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
wooohoo...go for it and let us know how it turns out. I've been playing on doing the floor board on my 2nd gen runner and possible part of the way up on the outside. I just havn't gotten the cash up yet to do it. Sounds like your truck is gonna look hot!!
Old 11-12-2004, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

I was up at the local Toyota pick and pull over the summer and one of the guys that works there did his whole truck. I asked him if he did the line-x and he said no. He went to wal-mart and purchased some Dupli-Color truck bed coating and a cheap paint gun.
I asked how its holding up and he asked if i saw the huge dent in the roof.
Nope!
Guess he had rolled his rig and put a large dent in the top.
So i made a stop at wal-mart and purchased the same thing. The gun cost me $20.
I did my rear bumper with this stuff. The gun worked great.

I am going to spray the rear of my 4runner sometime soon. The stuff holds up real nice.
I don't think its as good as the Line-x. But it comes a close second.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

A local morning show just did a Line-X promotion:

WIN YOUR ENTIRE VEHICLE SPRAYED WITH LINE-X!

Do you have a vehicle you would love to have Line-X Spray On Truck Bed Liner of Des Moines spray the entire outside? It might be an old car, truck or jeep...it could be a truck or jeep you drive to go 4-wheelin' . Whatever the vehicle, take it to Line-X between 5 and 9AM on Friday, October 29th, as Van & Bonnie broadcast live. We'll take pictures of you with your vehicle and by 8:45AM, our judges will determine who will win the Line-X spray job!

We'll also have the Iowa Pork Producers with us that morning with FREE pork for breakfast in honor of October being Iowa Pork Month!

Also, since it's Halloween weekend, it's Scarey Spray Day at Line-X that morning. Anyone can bring an item that's small enough to fit in a shoebox and we'll coat it with ORANGE spray-on truck bed liner between 5 and 9AM.

Line-X is located at 5500 NW Johnston Drive (just a couple of blocks north of I-80/35 on Merle Hay Road and then 1 block east on NW Johnston Drive). So whether you're entering your vehicle in the "Spray" contest, wanting an item sprayed orange, or just want to eat pork and watch the fun, we'll see you at Line-X on October 29th!

Listen for all the details on Van & Bonnie in the Morning.

I'm gonna look to see if I can find some pics.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

I like the duplicolor idea. It seems to have MUCH less texture, and possibly easier to clean.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Duplicolor...that's interesting. Actually, I think the texture of the Line-X is almost too much. May be perfect for a truck bed, but if there are less rough bedliners, I think I'm definitely going to look into them. How much coverage does a can of the DC stuff get? Is it difficult to get right? Would love to know your technique to apply it...

I also really like the idea of doing it myself. I'm just that kinda guy. Headed to Home Depot now to get the goods to take out the silencer box...wanted to do that for a while now!
Old 11-12-2004, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by GregStevens
Any downsides that you think I may be overlooking?
Yah, if you ever need body work, your screwed!! I was also podering doing the bottom half of my rig but luckily had to modify my LineX coated brush gaurd before having it done. When modifying the brush gaurd (cutting and grinding a few places) that LineX stuff let off some really BAD fumes. Make your head spin NOW & BAD kind of fumes. Beings that I'm always cutting or welding on my junk, I opted not to have it lineX'd. It would have sucked or been nearly impossible to bob my bed after it was lineX'd!!!!

I too use the Duplicolor stuff on my bumpers, sliders, & skids. Not nearly as tough as LineX but it's not toxic when ground on or cut. Besides, it comes in a spray can so you really don't have to buy the gal. jug and spray gun to do it yourself.

If you plan on ever modifying anything that you'll have lineX'd, you'll be sorry you did it.

Not trying to talk you out of it. I'm just tellin' ya so you won't regret it if you end up doin' it.

Another negative to LineX is that it's texture makes it hard to clean. Usually end up with dirt in the textured dips even after high pressure washing at the carwash (or home if you have your own pressure washer).

Oh yah.....ask em how much weight you'd be adding to your vehicle. It's more than you think.

Last edited by SloPoke; 11-12-2004 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

How much coverage does a can of the DC stuff get? Is it difficult to get right? Would love to know your technique to apply it...

The can i bought was 124 oz. I did 4 coats with the spray gun. I had about 1/2 can left when i was done. You can see in the picture that alot of it was wasted. If you do your rig it would cover much better than some small tube.
One nice thing about the spray gun is that you can adjust the spray pattern. If you want it real lumpy or smooth its your choise. I made mine kinda lumpy. Two days later my wife used the sprayer and painted some shelves real smooth. The spray gun worked great.

When you see the Dupli-color it is real thick. You can thin it out if you want.
I did use some of the Dupli-color with a paint brush to cover some of the exposed body areas under my rig. I plan on using it to do the wheel wells, frame, axle etc....

Here is there web site Dupli-Color

Looks like Checker Auto Supply also carries it.
Dupli-Color at Checker Auto.

Last edited by Toddski; 11-12-2004 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

More with the

The thickness of the Line-X was also something of a surprise...and I'm sure the weight added to the rig would be significant. I'm really leaning towards the DC treatment now. Seems to be far less expensive, too...and that's a big plus. Plus they would need the rig for up to 5 freaking DAYS! That's crazy...

And one more thing. I was going to have the OEM bumpers powdercoated...does the DC liner work on chrome? The guys at Line-X said it's best to blast it first and then apply it. That's a step I'd like to avoid.

Thanks again, guys!

Thanks for the ideas and the links...any more ideas, post 'em! But I'm thinking DC will be the way to go. Hadn't even considered other options besides Line-X...glad you spoke up about it! :thumbsup:
Old 11-12-2004, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

OK, just watched the Quicktime movie on DC's website...here's the URL

http://www.duplicolor.com/media/Duplicolor-303L.html

It says that all paint must be removed? There's no way I'm doing that...and Line-X wouldn't require it...so I'm wondering just how necessary it really is.

What do you think?
Old 11-12-2004, 10:37 AM

Sorry if I missed something but can you paint over the dupli color?I will be painting my 87 runner cinnamon pearl and was thinking of spraying the dupli color first.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:52 AM

I wonder how well Duplicolor or Line-X sticks to a convex surface. Is it going to stick to the body of your 4Runner well? You wouldn't want water or dirt getting underneath it if it peeled away from the edge in spots. The intended purpose for those products is in the bed of a truck, which doesn't have a lot of convex surfaces (except for wheelwells) and doesn't have many edges to peel away from the body. Sure, I have seen a lot of trucks that have it over the rail with no peeling away ... but the side of the vehicle might be different.

Also, the rough surface isn't something I'd like to have on the outside of my truck. It can be abrasive as heck. I have heard of people getting nasty road rash from falling against it accidentally.

For the outside of a truck or 4Runner, something smooth, yet tough would be good.

Good luck with whatever you decide! It sounds like a cool idea.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by GregStevens
It says that all pust be removed? There's no way I'm doing that...and Line-X wouldn't require it...so I'm wondering just how necessary it really is.

What do you think?
Paint is kind of hard to stick things to sometimes. It may require a clean bare surface for the best adhesion. You've probably heard of etching a surface to make it rough so that whatever is being applied will stick better. Same principle.

Quick Reply: Gonna Line-X the Rig...whatcha think?