Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gears

so i've been reseraching this a bit, and finding all sorts of information, some contradictory.

right now, i have stock 4.10 gears in my 2002 4wd v6 4runner, with 45,000 miles.

i'm getting 33s real soon, and will shortly be going to 4.88s.
a friend i trust said precision gears are the best brand to go with (richmond are good too, but don't offer what i want). also, he said steer clear of yukons.

so i guess my questions is to those of you with precision gears, where did you get them. i've having a hard time finding them. most everyone has yukons.

also, exactly what parts do i need besides the actual r+p gears? one guy said i don't need the master overhaul kit with so little miles??

finally, any recommended place to buy the gears, especially in socal?
and yes, i will be throwing in a rear arb air locker at the same time.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by calrockx
so i've been reseraching this a bit, and finding all sorts of information, some contradictory.

right now, i have stock 4.10 gears in my 2002 4wd v6 4runner, with 45,000 miles.

i'm getting 33s real soon, and will shortly be going to 4.88s.
a friend i trust said precision gears are the best brand to go with (richmond are good too, but don't offer what i want). also, he said steer clear of yukons.

so i guess my questions is to those of you with precision gears, where did you get them. i've having a hard time finding them. most everyone has yukons.

also, exactly what parts do i need besides the actual r+p gears? one guy said i don't need the master overhaul kit with so little miles??

finally, any recommended place to buy the gears, especially in socal?
and yes, i will be throwing in a rear arb air locker at the same time.
Have you tried asking these guys http://www.precisiongear.com/home.htm they should be able to point you in the right direction. US Gear makes a great set too, http://www.usgear.com
Old 05-27-2004, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's some good reading Chaz:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ht=Gear+Brands
Old 05-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

good reading.

i just talked to precision, and they said i would need besides the gears, the regular installation kit and the pinion gearing kit. ALSO, supposedly in 2002 the driveshaft pinion yoke size changed, so now i need the pinion yoke set.

so now...who's regeared a 2002? what say you?
Old 05-27-2004, 03:57 PM

i dun say anything, except I just ordered my 4.88 yukons and all I needed was the master install kit.

Good luck with ur regearing!

btw how much is the gears/install kit gonna be for you? just wondering
Old 05-27-2004, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

ALSO, supposedly in 2002 the driveshaft pinion yoke size changed, so now i need the pinion yoke set.

so now...who's regeared a 2002? what say you?
Yeah right. Toyota re-tooled for 1 model year. When I re-geared years ago, everyone had speculation and rumors on what would be in there, it was the same old same old.

Everyone sells Yukons because they are fine. Precision is fine as well. Precision like Yukon does NOT make the gears, they buy them and re-pack them just like Randy's.

This is the best place to buy Precision gears from.

http://www.reiderracing.com/

Your entering territory everyone will claim to know about but very few, includeing myself don't really know all that well. A good gear man is far and few between. All I do know is that my Yukons are doing just fine & almost everyone who has re-geared has them, I bought Presicion Gears for the FJ-62 and those are fine. I'm sure the Motive gears Bruce has are fine as well.

Everyone seems to agree that Genuine Gears are not so good.

I guess you don't need that diff drop kit anymore?
Old 05-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Toyo_Runner96
i dun say anything, except I just ordered my 4.88 yukons and all I needed was the master install kit.

Good luck with ur regearing!

btw how much is the gears/install kit gonna be for you? just wondering
Gears shold be around 200 each and install around 100.

600 in parts should be the ball park.

Also keep in mind alot of shops will not install gears they did not sell. Keep that in mind.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Gears shold be around 200 each and install around 100.

600 in parts should be the ball park.

Also keep in mind alot of shops will not install gears they did not sell. Keep that in mind.
Total parts for me was 499. As for install, I'm having a guy in my 4x4 club install for me. He's charging 340 total fr and rr with the axles in the vehicle. Which I heard wasnt' that bad, but I guess if you can get 100 for install....that would be better
Old 05-27-2004, 04:22 PM

I'm paying a bit more for install ($530), but they are installing 2 ARB's for me too.

He is dropping the completed diffs to me in Pgh.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Both sound like good prices. I paid Kong's 1100 and that was part and labor.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Total parts for me was 499. As for install, I'm having a guy in my 4x4 club install for me. He's charging 340 total fr and rr with the axles in the vehicle. Which I heard wasnt' that bad, but I guess if you can get 100 for install....that would be better

Make sure you throw a locker in as well. At least a rear one or at least 2 tru tracks. it alot of work so you should really get as much done while it is all apart.

Bring that thing back to Arizona and I'll take you out.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:33 PM

The only thing that's holding me back, $$$ I don't even have enough money to buy lunch now, last 2 weeks I've eaten a ham sandwich every single day. I'm waiting for my first paycheck, so if I can get everything for an arb before my install (which will be around mid june) I will get it, but if not, I'll just wheel open.

Also reason I'm not that really pressed for a locker yet is because I still consider myself somewhat new to this sport. So I figured more time wheelin open diffs will help me learn how to take lines better, and how to basically drive better on the trails.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

The only thing that's holding me back, $$$ I don't even have enough money to buy lunch now, last 2 weeks I've eaten a ham sandwich every single day. I'm waiting for my first paycheck, so if I can get everything for an arb before my install (which will be around mid june) I will get it, but if not, I'll just wheel open.

Also reason I'm not that really pressed for a locker yet is because I still consider myself somewhat new to this sport. So I figured more time wheelin open diffs will help me learn how to take lines better, and how to basically drive better on the trails.

That's why I would say get 2 Tru-Tracks then. Limited slip, good all around and you'll hit both ends for the price of an ARB.

Just give it some thought. You would have a 4Runner more capable than most on these BBS, Re-Geared and Dual Limited slip.

Your heading in the right direction, just head a little furhter. Just think about how you'll wheel circles around your buddy with the snorkel, wrong gears and open diffs.

Your an Arizonan, Make us proud.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
That's why I would say get 2 Tru-Tracks then. Limited slip, good all around and you'll hit both ends for the price of an ARB.

Just give it some thought. You would have a 4Runner more capable than most on these BBS, Re-Geared and Dual Limited slip.

Your heading in the right direction, just head a little furhter. Just think about how you'll wheel circles around your buddy with the snorkel, wrong gears and open diffs.

Your an Arizonan, Make us proud.
You hit the spot...

You're evil steve. Making me spend money I don't even have!! I think I'll wait out for the arb.......grr

btw, sorry calrocks for hijacking the thread. My apologies
Old 05-27-2004, 04:52 PM

Rob - PM me about a great place for ARB's. Cheapest I've found...
Old 06-15-2004, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

i just talked to precision, and they said i would need besides the gears, the regular installation kit and the pinion gearing kit. ALSO, supposedly in 2002 the driveshaft pinion yoke size changed, so now i need the pinion yoke set.

turns out that guy was right. laaaaame.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:53 AM

I'm thinking about installing 4:88's since I have 285/75's...

...anyone know of a "good" place in Phoenix area for install??

Xtreme Mike...do you do these??

Paul
Old 06-17-2004, 08:23 AM

I'm running Yukon 5.29's from Randy's ring and pinion and they were verry helpful when I was setting them up. I am verry happy with them and I beat the shi# out of my gears.
http://www.ringpinion.com/index.html
Old 06-17-2004, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
I'm thinking about installing 4:88's since I have 285/75's...

...anyone know of a "good" place in Phoenix area for install??

Paul
4 Wheelers Supply will do a good job and believe it or not, 4 Wheel Parts, but you want to make sure Brett does the install and buy the Precision Gears from them NOT the Genuine gears they may try to pimp. A Detroity True-Trac would be nice in that thing as well. Limited slip, not a locker.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
Kong's put Mike's gears in. Kong's is out of business.

Quick Reply: gears