Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gadget Question!! FTC1-E

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gadget Question!! FTC1-E

Gadget,

I just got off the phone with RC Engineering about the injector size dilemma I've been trying to figure out with your help of course. He told me to ask you if the FTC1-E has the ability to adjust the duty cycle of the injectors at idle. He said if it does, the hard starting could possibly be prevented. I have a feeling that the FTC doesn't do it, which is why most folks running the 330cc's are having the hard starting problems. But, I, in addition to Wayne, at RC Engineering are having a hard time figuring out why DuffDog isn't having the same problems running the 370cc's. Wayne said that in his experience, most piggy-back units do not control this idle duty cycle with the stock ECU, so he said a stand-alone may be the only way to fix that, which would allow the use of larger 370cc injectors, etc. I have a feeling that this may be way off, but I just did a search on this forum for your name, and read every single post, so please nobody get mad at me for posting a similar topic as to what I've been posting. I've done my research, and I'm come to conclusion that I had to talk directly with the 4Runner Guru.

Chris
Old 01-21-2003, 10:33 AM

Yes the FTC still modifies the signal from the MAF at idle.

The hard warm starting problem seems to occur with during the start cycle of the ECU.

The theory behind the hard warm starts with the Maxx Autowreck injectors is the ECU gives the engine and initial squirt of fuel during initial cranking before it starts getting signals from the various sensors. This is preprogrammed into the ECU. Since the ECU does not know that you have larger injectors it dumps to much fuel initially causing an over rich condition. Because the piggy back units modify the MAF sensor signal it will not affect this problem because the ECU does this initial squirt during the initial cranking and the MAF is not generating a signal yet to modify.

This problem seems to be less on the later trucks. I don't know what year the truck with the 370 injectors is.

Anyway, that is the theory. It may or may not be what is really going on and it just be a batch of junk injectors that is being dumped on the market. I can tell you that everyone that had this problem cured it by installing the 305cc injectors.

Have fun...

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 01-21-2003, 11:14 AM

Thanks Gadget! That definitely answers my question halfway with the fact that it does adjust the signals at idle, which is good. I'm wondering if Mark at Split Second could make it work where it could adjust this initial squirt (duty cycle) of the ECU to prvent this from happening? You think I should ask him for that possibility or have you already discussed this with him before?

Chris

P.S. I did find out that having the larger injectors is not bad once the truck is in idle and running, which is good. The only challenge is this initial quirt you are talking about. I wonder?
Old 01-21-2003, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by ravencr
Thanks Gadget! That definitely answers my question halfway with the fact that it does adjust the signals at idle, which is good. I'm wondering if Mark at Split Second could make it work where it could adjust this initial squirt (duty cycle) of the ECU to prvent this from happening? You think I should ask him for that possibility or have you already discussed this with him before?

Chris

P.S. I did find out that having the larger injectors is not bad once the truck is in idle and running, which is good. The only challenge is this initial quirt you are talking about. I wonder?
Don't bother Mark with that question. No piggy back is going to do that. It is in chip in the ECU.

Maybe we can talk someone else into trying the Supra MAF with 360cc injectors. Here is hoping it is just a problem with the 330cc injectors from MAW and really not a problem other then that.

Gadget
Old 01-21-2003, 04:55 PM

I'd be open to the Supra MAF if it makes a substantial difference, but I don't know anything about it. Do you currently run it?

Chris