Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Found a Scooped Hood on CL, what next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
It will do both. Just think about it. Maybe you could rig some sort of filter so the water and debris doesn't get in? I saw a guy on the RAV4 forums who hooked his intake up to the scoop, put a filter right behind it and made it mega functional.
Hmmm now there is an idea...I read a thread on here where a guy cut off the top half of the back of the scoop to allow hot air to escape while still leaving the bottom half as a lip that prevented water from just running down onto the engine. That seems like a pretty good idea and I could just run some tubing from the drainage holes so the water doesn't just pour onto the engine. Then maybe I could find some sort of filter material to put over the top half to prevent dust and other smaller debris from getting into the engine compartment. More and more to consider...
Old 10-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

Go to SEARS and get the home sandblaster kit not very expensive and some DRY sand or go to COSTCO and get a 30 lb bag of baking soda and do it in your yard

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916706000P

Craftsman 50 lb. Sandblaster Kit with 1/4 in. Ceramic Nozzle

Sold by Sears | Sears Item# 00916706000 | Model# 16706

Last edited by olharleyman; 10-14-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4ever4running
Hmmm now there is an idea...I read a thread on here where a guy cut off the top half of the back of the scoop to allow hot air to escape while still leaving the bottom half as a lip that prevented water from just running down onto the engine. That seems like a pretty good idea and I could just run some tubing from the drainage holes so the water doesn't just pour onto the engine. Then maybe I could find some sort of filter material to put over the top half to prevent dust and other smaller debris from getting into the engine compartment. More and more to consider...
Let us know what you do. I'm curious to see how it turns out.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
Go to SEARS and get the home sandblaster kit not very expensive and some DRY sand or go to COSTCO and get a 30 lb bag of baking soda and do it in your yard

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916706000P

Craftsman 50 lb. Sandblaster Kit with 1/4 in. Ceramic Nozzle

Sold by Sears | Sears Item# 00916706000 | Model# 16706
That would be perfect if I had a compressor...and a yard to do it in...Unfortunately I am still living in an apartment so I just don't have the materials or the space to do it. Thanks for the suggestion though

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
Let us know what you do. I'm curious to see how it turns out.
Will do! I will be sure to keep the thread updated with the progress. I am hoping to get started on it this weekend.

Last edited by 4ever4running; 10-15-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Get some air craft stripper, it will remove the paint down to the bare metal. Kragen or napa should carry it, ive used it a few times and it works good.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by myyota
Get some air craft stripper, it will remove the paint down to the bare metal. Kragen or napa should carry it, ive used it a few times and it works good.
I think I am going to try to just sand all the paint and clearcoat off. Honestly, I just don't want to have to deal with harsh and toxic paint strippers if I can get away with just sanding it.

Is there any reason an electric sander wouldn't work? I figure it will go a lot faster than if I do it by hand but I don't want to damage the hood...

Last edited by 4ever4running; 10-15-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keep the scoop open - ive had mine open for about a year - no issues, but then again im turbo'd so i need to cool the motor down as much as i can.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:47 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I think I am going to try to just sand all the paint and clearcoat off. Honestly, I just don't want to have to deal with harsh and toxic paint strippers if I can get away with just sanding it.

Is there any reason an electric sander wouldn't work? I figure it will go a lot faster than if I do it by hand but I don't want to damage the hood...
Good plan, an electric orbital palm sander would be fine.

The scoop is not an obstruction in my opinion, have one of my wifes 4runner & my Tacoma.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by j-man
keep the scoop open - ive had mine open for about a year - no issues, but then again im turbo'd so i need to cool the motor down as much as i can.
How is your hood scoop opened? Did you just cut off the back of the actual scoop and remove the black plate that the mesh material attaches to? Does the engine compartment get really dirty? Any pics?

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Good plan, an electric orbital palm sander would be fine.

The scoop is not an obstruction in my opinion, have one of my wifes 4runner & my Tacoma.
Awesome! I am going to go pick one up after work today so I can get started. I have been needing an excuse to get an electric sander anyway .

Yeah I agree, I have driven my friends 4Runner and he has a scoop and it really doesn't obstruct the drivers view at all. I'm pretty sure my grille guard is more of an obstruction than a hood scoop. Thanks for the input!
Old 10-16-2010, 10:55 AM

So I went to Lowes after work yesterday and picked up a DeWalt Orbital sander and got to work. Even with 60 grit sandpaper it is slow and tedious work. I got a little more than halfway done in about 2 hours of work. I still have to finish sanding the rest of the hood, then re-sand with a lesser grit paper (120 or 220) to make everything smooth.

Now I have to start thinking about paint...I want to paint it black (either flat or semigloss) but I don't know what kind of paint I should use...I am also considering Herculiner or other truck bed liners. What do you guys think? Herculiner or just paint? If I go the paint route, what kind of paint should I use? What kind of clearcoat? If I go the truck bed liner route, which one should I use? Is there any sort of topcoat for the liner to protect it from the sun?

Here are some pics of my progress...

Old 10-16-2010, 11:20 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i think it actually looks better all sanded like that than with the globs of paint.

what color are you gonna make it? i assume white?
Old 10-16-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
i think it actually looks better all sanded like that than with the globs of paint.

what color are you gonna make it? i assume white?
No, unfortunately I don't have the $$$ to get the paint color-matched at an auto body/paint shop...I explained what I am thinking of doing in the posting above.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:45 PM

d'oh!

my opinion is gloss black. unless you plan to get the running boards hurculined, in which case, hurculiner
Old 10-16-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
d'oh!

my opinion is gloss black. unless you plan to get the running boards hurculined, in which case, hurculiner

Haha no worries. I don't have running boards on my rig so the hood would be the only thing herculined...at least for now...
Old 10-17-2010, 06:26 AM

i meant rocker panels. thats what a lack of sleep will do to ya; you forget to read posts and can't remember the correct terms haha

sweet, man. it should look good no matter how you do it
Old 10-17-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Great buy on the Sport Hood!

I know you said that you don't have the cash to get the hood color matched, but I would save up some dough and then get it color matched.....

If not.......paint it black.......I'm not really a fan of Herculiner on body panels, unless it's your rocker panels.....

Just my 2 cents......
Old 10-17-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by fightman80
Great buy on the Sport Hood!

I know you said that you don't have the cash to get the hood color matched, but I would save up some dough and then get it color matched.....

If not.......paint it black.......I'm not really a fan of Herculiner on body panels, unless it's your rocker panels.....

Just my 2 cents......
Thanks!

So I'm thinking that painting is the way to go because paint can always be re-done or color matched in the future and herculiner is pretty permanent...With that being said, what kind of paint should I use? I just want something that is going to go on evenly and hold up daily use. What kind of clearcoat should I use? Is there something I can roll on because I know that rattle cans go on unevenly sometimes?
Old 10-17-2010, 05:48 PM

the bedliner is not SUPPOSED to fade out...idk for sure..but i know it's not faded on my '86 and it's been on there for like a year..and basically always in the sun.

when i did mine, i just masked off what i didn't want bedliner on, sanded it down REAL good, cleaned it with odorless mineral spirits, sprayed the first coat on, let it dry, spray second coat, let it dry, and so on.

i ended up with about 6 coats i believe, and the last coat i sprayed from about 13"-14" away to give it a pretty rough feel, just because i wanted it like that lol
Old 10-17-2010, 05:50 PM

if you go with Paint, just go with rattle can.

it will only go on "unevenly" if you spray it that way....

if you have access to an air compressor you can pick up a small Harbor Freight HVLP spray gun, and some Dupli Color paint shop paint...clear coat mixed in.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Banned

If you do it right and take your time you can make semi gloss or gloss black rattle can job look great.

EDIT: Beat me to it camo, i typed to slow

Quick Reply: Found a Scooped Hood on CL, what next?