95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fire Extingusher

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fire Extingusher

how many of you have one ? and where is it located or mounted ? mine is mounted in the back, next to the cubby hole on the right side, but a buddy just gave me a new Halon one, the whole thing is about 10 inches high and rechargeable, its whats used on aircraft, pretty sweet, but looking for ideas of where to mount this one.
Thankx,
Ric
Old 12-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Front

Rear
Old 12-14-2003, 11:36 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

thankx

thankx Corey,
thats where i was thinking about, i want it some place close and easy to get to
Old 12-14-2003, 11:51 AM

Mines the same location on the other side as coreys.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:02 PM

Where can you get those floor mats? They look like they'd hold up well. What's your opinion of them if you have them?
Old 12-14-2003, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

those are husky floor liners i do believe. if you search on google for hucky floor liners, youll be able to find something
Old 12-14-2003, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MINE....

I screwed the bracket horizontaly onto the right hand side of the transmission tunnel on mine. With a car fire and a small extinguisher, every second counts.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Heres mine. It is a 2.5 pound Chief Croker Halotron I model # A385TS with vehicle mounting bracket made by Amerex.

Old 12-14-2003, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Corey
Front

Rear
Corey, got some pics or a writeup on that cargobox?
Old 12-14-2003, 08:22 PM

Just a reminder for you folks, get a good extinguisher! Look for metal valve assemblies, avoid Kidde and other such plastic valve units like the plague. I opened up an old Kidde my sister had a few weeks ago when I noticed the guage looked suspicious (was reading a little high) and found it to have absolutely no nitrogen left, and the chemical was so solidified that the siphon tube came off while I was unscrewing the valve assembly. From my experiences working a summer job I had back in school recharging and testing fire equipment, I strongly recommend Amerex. Have it serviced regularly, nothing is worse than a dead extinguisher when your rig is burning to the ground.

Originally posted by jalaber
Heres mine. It is a 2.5 pound Chief Croker Halotron I model # A385TS with vehicle mounting bracket made by Amerex.
...or you can do like he did and get a bottle of liquid gold. Halon, though nice since you don't have to clean up afterwards, is more expensive than R12.

Last edited by Shane; 12-14-2003 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:55 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by dragr1
Corey, got some pics or a writeup on that cargobox?
No write-up, but I have more pics here.
http://pnw4runners.com/cargobox/

I do have a little text about the box on page III of my mods section.

This box is very handy.
Holds a ton of tools.

All I need is a toilet in the back there, and I'm good to go
Old 12-30-2003, 06:26 PM

I have two in my truck.

I have a small one (Mag Light size) that sits in the umbrella loop of my seat organizer and a 3 lb that is strapped to my roll bar.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

I guess just for redundancy I mounted mine in the same place as corey's. Actually he's where I got the idea from. If your looking for a fire extinguisher, I got mine from good ol' Wal-Mart for 10$. It was in the back of the hardware section and said for automotive use or something of that nature.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:06 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice Pine Tree

Originally posted by Krash
Nice pine tree under your seat there Krash...

Old 12-31-2003, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Heh, its one of those new car sent trees that are really hard to find in the woods. Only see them 1 in 1,000,000,000 pine trees. Actually finding those air fresheners are kinda hard sometimes. Always a good place to hide them there, that pic was taking about a month or two ago and the freshener is still there. I saw it today when I was installing my bass blockers, baffles, and peal-n-sealing the doors.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Fire Extinguisher

Will an el cheapo from Walmart be okay or do I need to get one from Lowe's or something? Do they all come with an attachment mechanism that you can just fasten to a Husky pretty easily?

What type of fire extinguisher is best for automotive use per se? Looks like that an el cheapo that has a plastic head/valve might get snapped off getting in and out of the vehicle and man, that could make a mess!

Old 12-31-2003, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Well the el-cheapo I got from wal-mart came with the bracket. I think I had to buy the screws though. That reminds me I still need to buy shorter screws for the maglight clips...

Anywho, I wasn't caring about quality because I was told that it would lower my car insurance but it turned out to be total BS when I asked my insurance agent about it.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:39 AM

Re: Fire Extinguisher

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
Will an el cheapo from Walmart be okay or do I need to get one from Lowe's or something? Do they all come with an attachment mechanism that you can just fasten to a Husky pretty easily?
In my opinion, NO! Go to a fire equipment shop and get a real extinguisher, not a toy like that one.
Originally posted by waskillywabbit
What type of fire extinguisher is best for automotive use per se? Looks like that an el cheapo that has a plastic head/valve might get snapped off getting in and out of the vehicle and man, that could make a mess!
Amerex, Badger. Most every brand also makes a "vehicle bracket" for their extinguishers.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Warning for RickNkc

Rick, get rid of that Halon! The fumes emitted from them when burned (like when extinguishing a fire) can be fatal. Halon is banned for most uses for this reason. They are ok for areas where there are no humans (like computer rooms and building) but NEVER manually operate one when you may be exposed to the fumes...very bad stuff
Old 12-31-2003, 06:18 PM

Re: Warning for RickNkc

Originally posted by Blair
Rick, get rid of that Halon! The fumes emitted from them when burned (like when extinguishing a fire) can be fatal. Halon is banned for most uses for this reason. They are ok for areas where there are no humans (like computer rooms and building) but NEVER manually operate one when you may be exposed to the fumes...very bad stuff
That is true, but in an open air situation the exposure is minimal. From the MSDS:
DECOMPOSITION PRODUCTS: When Halon 1211 is discharged into a fire, it decomposes above 900 degrees F, releasing bromide ions (the extinguishing agent). Halogen compounds, such as halogen acids, are also formed. These by-products although harmful if inhaled, are easily detected. Only a few PPM creates an unpleasant, acrid odor which serves as a warning to the user. After the extinguisher is discharged, the area should be vacated until ventilation clears the area.

Quick Reply: Fire Extingusher