Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Finally got OME Lift - 881/890 - Pics to come!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(quote) Did you notice any difference when adding the drop? (quote)

I ran for a few years with 890s and no PHB drop. When I went to the 891s I did add the drop.

w/o, the PH bar would cycle thru an offset arc. This arc would move the rear left and right as you hit bumps.

w, the PH bar cycles thru a more vertical/centered arc. This arc keeps the axle moving in a slight arc but mainly centered straight up and down.

Seat of the pants feel, w/o- you feel the rear "swim", with the PHB drop you don't have that swimming feel.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:47 PM

I just got my OME lift, 881/890's, TO spacer, and diff drop. I am by no means an engineer, but the diff drop makes sense, was recommended by more than one person, and was only like $25 so...

I actually just finished installing the rear. Took about 2 hours. Most difficult part was installing the rear shocks, specifically the upper nut. Would have helped to have a 17mm deep, but only had a 17mm shallow.

Finishing up the front on Monday or Tuesday so it looks pretty bad right now with the rake, it will be embarrasing to drive it to work tonight.

I recommend you spray everything you will be removing with PB Blaster and maybe tackle your rear shock upper nuts while you are waiting for the kit to arrive. I did that and it brakes up the process a little.

On a side note, I had 164k on the factory rear shocks and they are still good to go.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
No pics yet? FAIL.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerdo
(quote) Did you notice any difference when adding the drop? (quote)

I ran for a few years with 890s and no PHB drop. When I went to the 891s I did add the drop.

w/o, the PH bar would cycle thru an offset arc. This arc would move the rear left and right as you hit bumps.

w, the PH bar cycles thru a more vertical/centered arc. This arc keeps the axle moving in a slight arc but mainly centered straight up and down.

Seat of the pants feel, w/o- you feel the rear "swim", with the PHB drop you don't have that swimming feel.
Thanks for explaining! Do I really need to weld-in or will I be good with just bolting since I rarely take it off-road? I think I'll order from ToyTec since that's where I bought my OME lift and they are only one state away and ship quick....
Old 07-12-2010, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
No pics yet? FAIL.

Lol. No parts yet. Nothing installed yet. I could get some before shots up though. Hah.

Guess you didn't read the thread title prior to posting. But thanks for your insightful input!

Last edited by 98SR54RUNNER; 07-14-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know I may get flamed for this, being both off topic and sensitive subject matter, but here it goes:

Is it "worth" it to get the adjustable panhard bar or does the drop bracket work just as well?

I'll be installing LC coils in the rear but am having trouble justifying the expense of the adjustable bar ($175) vs the bracket ($50). If the bracket is comparable I would like to save the dinero for more mods....

(please note that I left out the vendor's name to, hopefully, reduce the flame)
Old 07-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mauzer
I know I may get flamed for this, being both off topic and sensitive subject matter, but here it goes:

Is it "worth" it to get the adjustable panhard bar or does the drop bracket work just as well?

I'll be installing LC coils in the rear but am having trouble justifying the expense of the adjustable bar ($175) vs the bracket ($50). If the bracket is comparable I would like to save the dinero for more mods....

(please note that I left out the vendor's name to, hopefully, reduce the flame)
Yeah I was looking around on some vendor's sites and thinking the same thing. Although this thread is supposed to be to show off the rig once it's lifted, this discussion is definitely not off-topic. Waiting to see what the pros have to say....
Old 07-12-2010, 07:29 PM

Almost all of the guys that I wheel with drive 3rd gen 4runners. All are lifted from 3 1/2" - 5" in back (5"=aftermarket lifted LC coils). We all have the ToyTec drop. All have been welded on. Most are also bolted. I don't have any experience with the adjustable/extended bar. The drop does work well.

I would definitely weld on the drop, even if only used on-road!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

So, I've been talking with a friend of mine who has a friend that has a shop that would help me put in the goodies. But, as you can imagine, it's been hard to get anything concrete nailed down.

I'm anxious to make some progress on the install, so I called the only 4x4 shop within hundreds of miles of me, Lowcountry 4x4 in Charleston. The guy I spoke with quoted me $700 to install the lift, even with the fronts already assembled.

Is this reasonable? I was pretty surprised when I heard that number.
Anyone know of any reliable/reasonably priced places to go in South Carolina?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
$250 to $350 depending on rust on vehicle

It's an afternoon of work for 2 people.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
$250 to $350 depending on rust on vehicle

It's an afternoon of work for 2 people.

Thanks for the quote. That's a little more what I was thinking. I think that guy was trying to put one over on me. Now if I could find a place that'd do it for that price, I'd be set.

Last edited by 98SR54RUNNER; 07-23-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:24 AM

You could try these folks in Lugoff (Columbia). Prices I am not sure about but they did good work on my gf's cousin's Jeep's lift.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3725940/10240633

Having lived in Charleston, it amazes me that there are not more independent specialty shops in the area. I think alot of the custom work is done in the backyard on the weekends. Lowcountry 4x4 seems to have a monopoly going so they charge to their liking. I think there used to be a shop on Hwy 78 past the Ladson Fairgrounds and Force Inc. If I can remember it, I'll post again with the info.

Can't wait for the pics......
Old 07-23-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by 98SR54RUNNER
So, I've been talking with a friend of mine who has a friend that has a shop that would help me put in the goodies. But, as you can imagine, it's been hard to get anything concrete nailed down.

I'm anxious to make some progress on the install, so I called the only 4x4 shop within hundreds of miles of me, Lowcountry 4x4 in Charleston. The guy I spoke with quoted me $700 to install the lift, even with the fronts already assembled.

Is this reasonable? I was pretty surprised when I heard that number.
Anyone know of any reliable/reasonably priced places to go in South Carolina?
Me and a buddy did the rear end on mine in an hour with just hand tools and jackstands.
I had to take the truck in for the front end - nothing was assembled and it needed after install alignment.
$700 sounds like they need a new TV for the front office....
Old 07-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Deceptiwave
Me and a buddy did the rear end on mine in an hour with just hand tools and jackstands.
I had to take the truck in for the front end - nothing was assembled and it needed after install alignment.
$700 sounds like they need a new TV for the front office....
How much did they charge you for the front install and alignment? Yeah I wish I had a buddy that knew what they were doing. I need to find someone local that knows the yota and befriend them.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:38 PM

Its not hard to install it yourself. I did mine by myself and it took a total of 5 hours. I did not assemble the front coils and shocks, but had a local shop do it for me (no charge).

I have air tools, but didnt even break them out because I didnt feel like listening to the air compressor (oil free = LOUD!)

Just some sockets and wrenches (10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, and 19mm), extensions, Pry bar, breaker bar (jack handle), jack and stands, wood (4x4 to hold the hub in place when disconnecting the LCA), 3/8 and 1/2" ratchets, screwdrivers, and of course the crescent wrench and vise grips.

If you dont have all this stuff get it as you will need it at sometime in the future.

As far as install price, the local shop that assembled the front shocks said that they would install the kit for $200.

Last edited by 85 PICKUP; 07-23-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Bump for update!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Did everyone else have similar trouble getting the rear shocks out and just as much trouble stretching out the front suspension?

What size (larger than stock) is everyone running on the stock rims without hitting the UCA?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:30 PM

the only problem I had with the rear shocks was maneuvering to get the top nut off, other than that it took me prob 30-45 min to do all the back. Front took me forever cus I assembled everything myself. And 85 Pickup is right about the compressor, unless you have access to a big compressor you'll be compressing for 30 seconds and listening to it whine for 3 minutes. Thats what I did but I hand wrenched in between waiting.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Banned

http://www.gearsandgeardrives.com/index-1.html

I like to spam...

too bad I'm banned

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 09-06-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

I like the level stance of the lift. Does it sag in the rear when loaded?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Finally got OME Lift - 881/890 - Pics to come!