Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

extensive runner problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
extensive runner problems

so at about 98k my clutch went out and i had it replaced by the local toyo dealership along with a new lighter fly wheel. everything was gravy untill i drove to idaho to go meet my dad for steelhead fishing (450miles from missoula). got there and my dad points out my trucks leaking tranny fluid of some sort. take it back to zoo town dealer and they fix some blown seal in the t case. then about 2 weeks before x mass i drive to south dakota to go hunting for a few days and the clutch lost all feeling while driving. from south dakota i dirve back to denver and go to ny fro 2 weeks. when i got back in town i took the truck to burt toyota in littleton, co for an oil change and to have them check the clutch (less than 2k on this new set up btw). turns out my whole underside was covered in burned motor oil and peices of clutch material. so a three day battle ensues trying to figure out what the dealership in mt replaced and what they didnt. turns out the seal that holds the input drive shaft (i think thats what its called) blew, it was just heald together by silicon. so my dad finds out that the mt dealership did not replace the rear main seal which should always be done when the tranny is out of a truck/car just b/c its easy and costs nothing. we have them re do all the seals around the clutch and transfer case just to be on the safe side. toyota, resurfaces the clutch and flywheel and reports that the pressure plate springs are worn and that lots of other things are worn, but they do not replace them. i leave sunday morning to drive back to montana and everything is going fine, cruising at 80mph on the highway through co and wy untill i hit the first big hill. all the sudden my car starts sputtering, like the fuel is being cut off to the car and the check engine light starts flashing. at this point i am in butt ˟˟˟˟˟˟ wyoming and think im screwed. so i stop the car. wait ten minutes and restart it. drive it in 4th gear the whole way back to missoula (9 1/2 hours) going through gass like its my job. anyways so now the clutch feels like ลลลล again and slips in every gear, you cant go up any sort of a grade under 3000 rpm or the engine sputters check engine light flashes. before i take this back to the dealer im wondering if anyone knows what might be wrong. at this point im seriuosly questioning the quality of the work taht has been performed on my vehicle and if this might need to become a legal issue with toyota due to bad workmanship and cutting corners. thanks for the help and sorry if this is a rant, im just pissed my truck has gone to ˟˟˟˟˟ ever since it hit the dealership for the clutch replacement. before that it had never had one problem since it rolled off the lot.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:17 AM

Sounds like they royally screwed your clutch up.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

yep, they are taking it in tomorrow and if doesnt come out perfect we are going to take legal action, my dad is talking about selling it and getting a titan which im not quite sure i want to do. unless its the nismo turbo one.....yea right
Old 01-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dexter
yep, they are taking it in tomorrow and if doesnt come out perfect we are going to take legal action, my dad is talking about selling it and getting a titan which im not quite sure i want to do. unless its the nismo turbo one.....yea right
If you trade in your truck, I got dibbs on the Jaos rear wing.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

deal man, hopefully it doesnt come down to that i love this thing wayy to much
Old 01-30-2006, 11:37 PM

SO what ended up happening man? Did you get the problem solved?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

turns out that a needed an engine tune up badly, something was not fireing correctly and they fixed it along with new 2 step older plugs, new high performance spark plug wires. but then they treid to tell me that my optima yellow top (new less than a year ago) was not holding a charge. i called bull ลลลล and went and tested it. 14.2 volts. the clutch still feels weird but they say it feels normal, i wouldnt know b/c i got the truck with 70k on it. overall screw bitterroot motors and burt toyota if they cant admit they messed up then
Old 02-01-2006, 11:22 PM

well, i guess thats good that it was just in need of some good ol spark plugs. I think thats next on my list.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

and then tires 2 days ago, jesus this thing is a money pit (that i love to death but would trade for a tundra in heart beat)
Old 02-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dexter
and then tires 2 days ago, jesus this thing is a money pit (that i love to death but would trade for a tundra in heart beat)
Don't feel too bad...just cost me $280 for a freakin wiper linkage yesterday!
Next vehicle will be a Tundra or Sequoia but the 4runner's got a few more miles to go first.