Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

For everyone running Roger Brown's Lift...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 09:53 AM
DSP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For everyone running Roger Brown's Lift...

So it's the dead of winter, I have no garage, and I just ordered my Roger Brown 1" Body lift.

My question after many searches is:

How long did it take everyone to install theirs?

I have read 2-3 hours, but that seems really short, even though everyone on here says it is "easy" or the "easiest mod i've done"

Now I just got quoted $900 at a local shop...ouch!!!
He says it is at least a 10hr job and another 1/2 day tweaking it. He says body lift is tougher than a suspension to install. (Doesn't make sense to me)

I did my suspension lift and that only took 10 hrs...
So what should I expect?

I am running 265 studded tires, but in april want to switch em for 285 mtr's, and keep my snows for next season. Should I wait and do the work myself in may when it is warmer, or just negotiate the price down for the 4x4 shop.

I would prefer to do the work myself, as I have done everything on my rig, but it is cold and I want to get the lift on ASAP
Old 02-10-2004, 10:02 AM

Do it yourself!!!

Figure the goin' rate for labor is around $65-70hr. If I did my RB body lift in 2-3hrs(which I did), a shop should be able to do it in less, say 2 max. So $150-$200 is the most I would pay. But I wouldn't even pay that because it is so easy to do yourself. If you know what a wrench is you can do this job. A floor jack some sockets and that's about it. I repeat, DO IT YOUSELF!!! I would never use that shop if they told you body lifts are harder than susp., they are obviously lying to you to make money. Find a new shop.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

3 hours here. Make sure you have a hi-lift jack or a 3 ton jack. I used a piece of 2x4 (long) to jack up one side via my sliders and 3 ton jack.

It would have taken 2 hours had I not screwed up the steering spacer (steering wheel was upside down )

The cold is going to make it a lot more miserable. Lucky for me, I live in a nice warm place. I would wait for a warm day. Whatever you do, dont pay someone to do it!

BTW, you will need a decent set of tools. Wrenches, deep well sockets, etc. Oh, and putting the front bumper on yourself really sucks. I did it, but scarred my rig in the process. :pat:
Old 02-10-2004, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

I agree with 4cedRunner. I did my 1½" RB lift this fall and, if I remember right, it took about 3-4hrs., but I usually "take forever" (according to my wife). I just call it thorough...
Old 02-10-2004, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Took me 6 but that was because it was pouring down rain in a parking garage and the lights kept going out. I also had to redo the steering because the wheel spun around while installing the spacer. If I had the garage I have today, Id say 4 hours tops. 3 if you do the little reading required and lube up the bolts ahead of time.

I got a similar quote from a shop nearby...and they said the same thing.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:29 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
$900

DO IT YOURSELF! I have a write-up as to how easy it is on the write-ups page on my website! DO IT YOURSELF! There is really nothing to it. DO IT YOURSELF!

Here's the link: DO IT YOURSELF!

P.S. Did I mention that you should DO IT YOURSELF?

EDIT: I took me 2 hours and 45 minutes - which it says in my write-up.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 02-10-2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Around 3 hours and that was with unwireing all the big huge cables to the winch and taking the TJM-T17 off, which you don't have to do by the way.

Ok here is all you do:

1. Undolt the steering connection.

2. Unbolt all the body mount bolts.

3. Tap the washers off the bolts using Josh "Party Boy" Perkins method.

4. Get a jack and a 2' long 2x4. Put the 2x4 between the frame and pichweld on the bottom of the body.

5. Jack up 1 side, put the pucks in.

6. Put the bolts in.

7. Repeat for the other side.

8. Bolt the 1" spacer in the steering.

If you wanted to get fancy like I did, undo the front rubber shielding stuff and extend up the lower holes 1" higher. I used the RB 1" radiator kit to do this. The radiator does not need to be touched with a 1 incher.

For 900 I'll fly up there and do it for you, no kidding.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:08 AM
DSP

Re: $900

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
DO IT YOURSELF! I have a write-up as to how easy it is on the write-ups page on my website! DO IT YOURSELF! There is really nothing to it. DO IT YOURSELF!

Here's the link: DO IT YOURSELF!

P.S. Did I mention that you should DO IT YOURSELF?
Thanks Scoop. But my question was...

How long did it take you....

I know I CAN do it myself, but right now I would drop 250.00 in a sec not to HAVE to deal with it.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i think brian is trying to say "do it yourself".

bob
Old 02-10-2004, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: $900

Originally posted by DSP
Thanks Scoop. But my question was...

How long did it take you....

I know I CAN do it myself, but right now I would drop 250.00 in a sec not to HAVE to deal with it.
For $250, I garantee there will be someone in the Denver area that will do it for you, in their nice warm garage...
Old 02-10-2004, 11:30 AM

I did mine in the grage in about 2 hrs.
Used a floor jack with a 4x4 piece of wood to reach the body.
also did the stock bumper lift.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine took a week and a half.

Do it yourself, if it takes much more than 6 hours, you are retarded.

The shop may be including the prices for other stuff that does not really need to be done like the radiator and an alignment, etc. I still see no reason to spend that sort of time on it.

Pay for my ticket and give me a couple cases of Fat Tire and I will do it in an afternoon plus be funny.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Flygtenstein
Mine took a week and a half.

Do it yourself, if it takes much more than 6 hours, you are retarded.

The shop may be including the prices for other stuff that does not really need to be done like the radiator and an alignment, etc. I still see no reason to spend that sort of time on it.

Pay for my ticket and give me a couple cases of Fat Tire and I will do it in an afternoon plus be funny.
It took a week and a half?

You are retarded then, yes??

Old 02-10-2004, 12:04 PM
DSP

Re: Re: Re: $900

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
For $250, I garantee there will be someone in the Denver area that will do it for you, in their nice warm garage...
Ahhh the problems of living 65 miles from the closest stoplight.

Denver is 300+ miles each way for me...

Salt Lake is closer...

Any Takers?
Old 02-10-2004, 12:08 PM
DSP

Originally posted by Flygtenstein

Sweet Fly...

You are all set up on greyhound...
Look for the bus around 6:00pm tonight...
They said with gas stops and meals you should be here by the 21st, I'll have the car and beer ready.

Plus I'll reserve your name on the stand up comedy night list at The Moon.

See you soon.
Dave

Edit: Nothing funnier than a retarded comic, except maybe a retarded midget stand-up comic

Last edited by DSP; 02-10-2004 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:50 PM

i've never done it, but i'm happy to 1)lend you my garage and 2)help you with the work in return for a place to stay during blues and brews this year. i live in longmont, which is about 6 hours from telluride, but you can stay at my place overnight if you want to.

mike
Old 02-10-2004, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It took a week and a half because I broke my bumper mounts and rather than monkeying with them I moved up the ARB timeline about 8 months.

Check out Colorado 4x4.net

I bet you can find at least one nice person to do it with you and lend some garage space and time.

I am not trying to be an ass. I just meant to reiterate that it is easy and you should be willing and able to do it yourself.

Tools needed:
Hi-Lift
Piece of wood
Screwdriver
One deep socket of the right size
One regular socket of the right size*

*could substitute closed or box end wrench

I really am a nice guy, but my jokes are not as good as Schaefer's, you ought to fly him out.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

not to steal the thread or anything but dont body lifts stretch your brake lins and wires and such?
Thanks
Old 02-10-2004, 03:47 PM

2 hours 3 hours tops! With three guys of course. I had my buddies Charles & Jimmy help me put my three inch body lift in and its easy. Just take your time and do not get in a hurry or be ready for breakage. Atleast with the three inch bodylift. Problems I ran into were easily preventable. Roger sends you a direction sheet and the writeups are on both his site and YT. i broke my positive battery post because I didnt unhook the battery like I should have. When lifting the body the cable got to tight and messed it up. My fault. Also when lifting the radiator up onto the new brackets dont grab it by the filler tube. They bend. JB weld was that fix. Pretty easy though ifyou have assistance. Gonna be doing Jimmys body lift soon, should be fun N easy cuz we have the basic idea already down. Blue
Old 02-10-2004, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 914runner
not to steal the thread or anything but dont body lifts stretch your brake lins and wires and such?
Thanks
That's what the 1" Roger Brown lift is for. The only thing you need to do is add the 1" steering extender.

Mine's sitting in my house waiting for the time to do it. Can't wait!

Quick Reply: For everyone running Roger Brown's Lift...