Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

engine vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine vibration

experiencing engine vibration noise on 1994 v6 3.0L 4wd pickup with 217000 miles. sounds as if it is comimg from egr valve. engine runs fine but notice more when first start engine after sitting overnite. any experience here and how difficult and expencive is it to replace egr valve? any help or guidance would be appreciated. thanks
Old 12-16-2002, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

here is a some info taken from another post from 4x4wire

"TUNE-UP: EGR/PCV MAINTENANCE: I have gotten significant performance gains from new pcv and vac components, especially removing and cleaning the EGR valve and tube. Every late 80's Toy I have wrenched on has had clogged EGR and vac leaks which will affect performance. Since the EFI has a larger intake manifold assembly in the place of a removable air filter on my 22R its probably harder to get to unless you pull off the hood. If someone can help you hold it while the 4 bolts are removed this will give you more access and lighting. I always use a penetrant like "liquid wrench" first and soak it for a spell. You may need a large open wrench to loosen the tube nut (15/16") or a good channel-lock type. I loosen the tube nut(s) first, then remove the 3 bolts of the EGR and clean with chemtool and copper 12 gauge wire. Reseal with hi-temp RTV. I think you may be surprised how clogged it is and the improved mileage afterwards.

(Different post) TUNE-UP: EGR: If you have strong agile fingers its a piece of cake..3/8 ratchet with 3" and 12" extension, 12mm 6 point socket and a universal joint. Bust the 2 bolts and 1 nut loose. 2 12mm bolts at back of intake plenum. I use a small 1/4" ratchet with 3" extension to finish removal after breaking them loose. replace both mounting gaskets. May even be easier to remove in 2 pieces. Large metric crescent wrench to undo the large coupler on the plumbing. Use a pipe thread compound when re-assembling.

(Different post) The EGR VALVE is a piece of cake. It bolts to the intake side of the head and is held on by either 3 bolts or two bolts and one stud. It is a two piece set up that can be taken apart if nessasary, large nut on intake side of valve itself. and there are two bolts in the end of the intake. I did all of that work while the engine was out so I don't know about the fire wall issues."
Old 12-16-2002, 11:31 PM

thanks for quick response. changed oil and filter and am taking to put on analyzer tomorrow. will let you know results. ps-could noise be a fan? noise quits for most part once drive for 2-3 minutes. also notice when decelerating but not accelerating or driving highway speeds.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:27 PM

vibration resolved, i hope

thanks for help. took to diagnostic shop. determined that vibration coming from faulty reed valve in air injection unit adjacent to egr valve on passenger side. have to replace entire unit instead of just a valve or diaphram. cost 210.00 for unit., excluding labor. will followup when repair made. thanks again
Old 02-08-2003, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by metal22lica
here is a some info taken from another post from 4x4wire

"TUNE-UP: EGR/PCV MAINTENANCE: I have gotten significant performance gains from new pcv and vac components, especially removing and cleaning the EGR valve and tube. Every late 80's Toy I have wrenched on has had clogged EGR and vac leaks which will affect performance. Since the EFI has a larger intake manifold assembly in the place of a removable air filter on my 22R its probably harder to get to unless you pull off the hood. If someone can help you hold it while the 4 bolts are removed this will give you more access and lighting. I always use a penetrant like "liquid wrench" first and soak it for a spell. You may need a large open wrench to loosen the tube nut (15/16") or a good channel-lock type. I loosen the tube nut(s) first, then remove the 3 bolts of the EGR and clean with chemtool and copper 12 gauge wire. Reseal with hi-temp RTV. I think you may be surprised how clogged it is and the improved mileage afterwards.

(Different post) TUNE-UP: EGR: If you have strong agile fingers its a piece of cake..3/8 ratchet with 3" and 12" extension, 12mm 6 point socket and a universal joint. Bust the 2 bolts and 1 nut loose. 2 12mm bolts at back of intake plenum. I use a small 1/4" ratchet with 3" extension to finish removal after breaking them loose. replace both mounting gaskets. May even be easier to remove in 2 pieces. Large metric crescent wrench to undo the large coupler on the plumbing. Use a pipe thread compound when re-assembling.

(Different post) The EGR VALVE is a piece of cake. It bolts to the intake side of the head and is held on by either 3 bolts or two bolts and one stud. It is a two piece set up that can be taken apart if nessasary, large nut on intake side of valve itself. and there are two bolts in the end of the intake. I did all of that work while the engine was out so I don't know about the fire wall issues."
Hey Corey or anyone,

Have you done this maintenance to your V6? Just curious.

Thanks,

Warren
Old 02-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

nope..i havent done it..but im sure someone has. or im also sure that someone else might chime in.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:15 PM

...hope so. Sounds like a good 'un.

and cheap too.

Warren