Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Engine removal....who has done it??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine removal....who has done it??

OK, I am vernturing into doing an engine swap in my 96 4Runner 3.4L. I was just wondering if anyone on here has any experience removing the original motor and are there any tips. I bought a service manual and it says that I have to remove the trans and transfer case as one assy first. I was looking to avoid this in any way possible. Any help is appreciated and I will be taking plenty of pics of the swap.

Cliff
Old 10-23-2006, 03:54 PM

On my 2.7L I pulled out the transfer and trans first just to make it easier. On most trucks if you leave the transmission attached, you will have to remove the whole front grill to get it out in 1 single unit. I have a 5-speed trans and it only took a little over an hour to take it out, the only hard part was getting to the bolts on the top, had to use a few extesions and swivels to get in there.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

While I took mine out with the tranny an transfer case (wrecked donor truck, so I wasn't concerned with the already dinged body panels), you should be able to remove the engine by itself, and leave the transmission in the truck.

Be ABSOLUTELY sure that you have removed all connections, hoses and bolts to the engine, and support the front end of the transmission with a trasmission jack, so that you can adjust the front of the tranny while removing and re-installing the engine.

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2006, 03:59 PM

I can see that the top ones are gonna be a problem. Thanks for your insight. I hope all goes well for my sake. I am inviting a couple of friends over this sunday for the swap, some pizzas and beer will work for pay. It also pays to have friends who work for Toyota like I do but they never had to do an engine swap in a 4Runner.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:01 PM

Anyone in NNJ that wants to stop by, PM me for directions....
Old 10-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Other than an engine hoist:

This will be your best friend:
Old 10-23-2006, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
what kind of motor you putting in ?
Old 10-23-2006, 07:15 PM

Mt Goat......thanks for the pics, I am sure that they will come in handy.

Elton, I'm putting a very low mileage 5VZFE with everthing going on it new.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

I replaced my motor 2 years back. Didn't take the tranny out (5 spd). Took a long evening (4pm - midnight) of wrenching to swap motors with a couple of friends.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cliff96SR5
Elton, I'm putting a very low mileage 5VZFE with everthing going on it new.
i see i thought your going with a v8 or something
Old 10-29-2006, 03:48 PM

*update With Pics*

Well with some help from my friends, I finally removed the old 3.4L. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was and the trans and transfer case did not have to come out. The new engine is just about ready to go in, I had to get a few more odd and ends to button her up plus I took the manifolds to work so I can sandblast them and clean up a few other parts.

The now empty engine bay

The new(used) motor with new head gaskets

Another new/(used) engine pics with re-man crank
Old 10-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

nice work.gonna pressure wash the bay while its out?

neat to see it out/stripped down like like

good luck
Old 10-29-2006, 04:34 PM

Yeah, got alot of cleaning to do just to make it look nice.....I have to take some pics of the upper manifolds, valve covers and other misc. engine parts that I painted black, they came out great, almoet like powder coated.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:31 PM

Stupid question but where do you attach the chains to pull the engine out? I can't see well enough from the picture.

Aaron
Old 10-09-2009, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If have done the swap and it is alot easier than it looks--good job BTW--also, if i were you--and you were me--i would send the injectors out for cleaning. When you put it back in take off the fan clutch--it gives you more wiggle room. Besides my 69 camaro--it was the easiest motor I have ever done.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:23 PM

hross14 - i'm totally in agreement with your "country" statement at the footnote of your post! thanks
Old 10-10-2009, 07:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by metallurgy64
hross14 - i'm totally in agreement with your "country" statement at the footnote of your post! thanks
Yes, I said "country." America really is a nation, but you couldn't convince those who lead the Democratic and Republican Parties of that. Both parties now see America as nothing more than an economy, a marketplace, and not a sovereign nation. They don't see you and me as citizens of this great nation; they see us as units of labor, consumers and taxpayers.

Honestly this is what most people here are until they/We wake up and take the control back then this is all we will ever be seen as!!
Constitutionally it is our obligation to re-instate our control over a government who is making rules with out asking or thinking to ask!!
More rules and less rights!
Hell if we really wanted to change the world views on who and what we are then most of the things we buy should say Made in USA NOT Made in CHINA or Hecho en Mexico.
This is a great way to help fix our economy as well buy from John rather than Quazimoto or Pedro.
I like that Toy trucks are at least assembled in Kentucky unlike Fords.
This is actually the other half of the reason I drive mine other than the fact that they are more reliable last longer and Wheel better!!!

Not bashing just pointing that out!!!

Last edited by eddieleephd; 10-10-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:46 AM

5vzfe engine swap; pulling a spent '99 V6

I know this is an old post, but is it possible to pull the engine with the transmission in both a 1999 & 2000 4Runner 4x4 LTD, virtually identical vehicles, well, except for the trashed body on the '00? I have access to a pit so can also get under the vehicle with greater ease. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by supraman1
I know this is an old post, but is it possible to pull the engine with the transmission in both a 1999 & 2000 4Runner 4x4 LTD, virtually identical vehicles, well, except for the trashed body on the '00? I have access to a pit so can also get under the vehicle with greater ease. Thanks.
It's a long transmission with the x-fer case attached. You'll need something that can lift quite high to be able to angle it down and out of the engine bay.

I remember taking out the rad gives you a lot more room. I am not sure anymore if the rad support comes off, that would help a lot in that case.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:24 PM

arjan - thanks for the reply. Yes, I will have quite a bit of room and can angle it down sufficiently, which is what I was thinking could be attempted. It seems that removing the transmission from the engine is more difficult and unnecessary. But, it still looks very tight in there for the transfer case to get by the steering box. Just don't know if I should try it that way or not. I plan to pull as much out of the engine bay as I need to since I want the air conditioning and power steering compressor, at least.

Quick Reply: Engine removal....who has done it??