Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

E-locker wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E-locker wiring

I ripped my dash/instrument cluster this afternnon to change the 4wd indicator lamp. While at it, I look around to see if my rig is prewired for the E-locker. So far these are the pics of some connectors which are not plug to anything.

The black wire is for the diff lock switch. It has four wires connected to it. Phong's pic only had two wires and he had to add two more to light it up. What about the white connector? what is it for? It has seven wwires connected to it.

This is Phong's pic of the connector that goes to the locker ECU.

Notice the difference in the wire colors from his pics compared to mine.
Does anybody have a pic of an ECU locker connector for a manual transmission. Phong said that he heard the manuals have different wiring from the automatics.
By the way, I found those connectors directly behind the diff lock cutout where my alarm system indicator cutout is installed. both wires connects into the main wiring harness directly behind the instrument cluster.

George

Last edited by george16; 10-13-2003 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Tacoma ECU (I'm assuming the runner ECU is similar) has a 10-pin connector. Unfortunately I've already modified both of my ECUs with a custom harness so the original connectors aren't available for a photo-op, but I do have some pics I took a while ago. They're here, specifically this pic has a head-on shot of the connector. Ignore the terminal in the shot, I was testing it for fit and found it too bulky like pretty much all the options I had, hence the reason I ditched the connectors and hardwired them with a short harness.

Last edited by Shane; 10-13-2003 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neither of those two big plugs look like they are for the e-locker dash switch. The big white one is an extra plug for the power mirror switch (the power mirror is located in the dash in vehicles with manual locks). I'm not sure what the black one is for.

Here's the power mirror switch plug in my rig (I was messing with it so I could use a second power mirror switch for my in-cab winch control):

Look again for the locker switch plug. I think it comes off the same bundle as the dimmer switch.

I just finished wiring my truck for the e-locker (install in two weeks!). Mine is a 97 auto and was not pre-wired at all so I had to start from scratch. I scrounged the OEM switch, ECU, and E-locker harness but the rest I had to make myself. It's pretty easy to do, but takes time.

Have you pulled your kick panel to see if you have the ECU plug? If it's not pre-wired, that's not a big deal. Look on the bright side - if you have to wire it yourself, you won't have to disable the 4-lo/5mph safety circuits.

Last edited by transalper; 10-14-2003 at 04:15 AM.