Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Tomcat,

I'm glad you got the banging sorted out.

As far as the concerns over fit, I think many shops are just leary and/or not willing to take the time to do it. It really is a tight fit back there, but not impossible to run duals. I, myself am really curious to see how the guy ran it, as far as were it splits. Did he come over the axle with both pipes on the passenger side, or did he split them right out of the muffler and send each pipe back on their respective sides? Just wondering...
Old 12-11-2002, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

I'm thinking about a dual exhaust, but first I think I will buy a Jaos skid plate from Jason......so many decisions!
Old 12-11-2002, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Loosehead --

I'd have to look to be sure, but I think the pipes exit and split immediately.

I'll crawl under tonight and make sure. I'll post it if they don't split right out of the muffler.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:00 PM

uhh.. there will be smoke coming out both pipes. it is real dual exhaust... they just arnt run straight back from the headers like some people do. it starts out like a normal exhuast then splits. thats what it sounds like, right? this is what people normally do if they have dual exhaust... 1 in 2 out.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:46 PM

I was looking to get single in dual out on my 4runner when I talked to my muffler guy. He looked at my truck and said that his shop would not do it due to problems that could occur since it was so tight under there. I looked for myself as it was lifted and agreed with him. There were simply too many moving parts around a couple of areas where the passenger side would have been run. So I got single instead and I am plenty happy. The space issue may be different for a 3rd gen.

By the way...about the power issue differences between dual out and single out. A single out system will give you more power (if noticeable not sure) and a dual system will be louder. THat's what I've been told by a couple of people but if I'm mistaken someone chime in.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

OK, here's the final report on the dual exhaust ...

I crawled up under the truck yesterday and did my best to take some pix. I don't know how much good they'll do anyone, since I didn't have it on a lift to take a pic of the overall setup.

However, the pipes DO split at the muffler and go their separate ways, straddling the spare tire and exiting alongside the tow hitch. I sprayed the pipes with a black hi-temp paint. I think they look pretty nice, going with the all-black theme.

Since I don't know how to post several pix at one time here, if you have any interest in seeing the pix I have, just e-mail me at: N8RV@gte.net and I'll be happy to send what I have. If there's enough interest, I'll bug my buddies with a lift and see if I can't talk 'em into lifting it so I can take good overall pix for you guys.

-- Don