Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Downey leaf spring question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downey leaf spring question?

Hey all, sorry I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. Im lookin for replacement leaf springs for my 92 sr-5 v6 4x4 pu,running 31x10.5x15. Anyone have an feelings regarding downey springs? How well do these hold up? I dont do much wheeling, daily driver, some wheelin on logging roads when im running? Should i expect these to sag, not much in the bed either? The catalog lists 2" and 3". Does anyone know if that is the lift or the width of the springs? Any pointers on the install? Thanx everyone for your time.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put Downey spings on my daily driver 4runner. Although everyone is going to have thier own opinions, I believe that for the price Downeys are the best for the money. The catalog should list the lift height and not the width of the spings.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:07 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation Ive got the 2" Downeys

I installed the 2" Downey’s a few months back, they are a little stiffer than stock but are starting to break in. The only problem I had with the install was the bolts that run through the frame were rusted to the springs. I had to cut and grind the heads and nuts off and really work them to get my stock springs out! I have ball joint spacers up front and 31" tires and it looks good. I say go for it, they are very reasonably priced and come with new poly bushings, I would also recommend you buying new poly shackle to frame bushings and if you have to cut your front bolts like I did get some in advance, I got mine at a local welding shop for like $4 each just tell them what you are using them for or you may end up with a bole that cant carry the weight, I think mine may be grade 8 but they may be stronger, the day I went to get mine the bolt and nut dealer happened to be there taking an order so he got me 2 bolts, washers and lock nuts right off of his truck, he said they are stronger than what would have been in there stock, Toyota wanted $34 each....
Old 11-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

I am going to do what I promised to do, and put in a plug for you to buy from someone else. The Downey equipment is OK, I have run misc. parts of theirs on my last few trucks, but their customer service is horrible. They don't deserve your business. My last run-in I was told by the owner that they were very close to going under because of issues they had this past summer, and after how I was treated I want to do what I can to continue their downward momentum. Buy from someone else, you won't regret it.

Originally Posted by slustan
Hey all, sorry I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. Im lookin for replacement leaf springs for my 92 sr-5 v6 4x4 pu,running 31x10.5x15. Anyone have an feelings regarding downey springs? How well do these hold up? I dont do much wheeling, daily driver, some wheelin on logging roads when im running? Should i expect these to sag, not much in the bed either? The catalog lists 2" and 3". Does anyone know if that is the lift or the width of the springs? Any pointers on the install? Thanx everyone for your time.