Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Downey 1.5" Coil Install Prob

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downey 1.5" Coil Install Prob

Well i finally got my Downey 1.5" coils here and was going to install them with my dad last week but he said he could be better off doing computer work for 3 hours and paying a pro to do my install than help me do it. Short story he pays a local guy to put them in for $100. I went to pick it up today and the guy says everything went smooth except that the brakeline that came with the kit didn't have deep enough threads to seal the line. He said he put it on and screwed it till it was at the end of its threads and fluid was leaking so he just put the old line back on and said send the line back to Downey and in the meantime don't get new shocks and i'd be fine. What do yall think? Ever heard of this problem with the downey brakeline?? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-17-2004, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

I had a mechanic do mine for about $150 and they never mentioned anything about having a problem with the brakeline...everyhing's workin' great now.

Maybe Downey just sent the wrong extension with the kit or something...

Fink
Old 02-17-2004, 06:43 PM

depends...

Yeah - so the brakeline can be a little tough. On my install I had to torque it down pretty tight - I alsmot thought I would break it - but worked fine. Yes - it's a snug fit to say the least, but it works. I think there have been other posts (check out the writeup in the tech section) that mention the brake line as being tough to install.

good luck! I would also get some new shocks in there soon as that will help out immensely. Those Bilsteins ROCK.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:47 PM

You really don`t need to extend the brake line. I have my NWOR coils and put them to good use and never had a problem w/o the brake line extender.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jboy
You really don`t need to extend the brake line. I have my NWOR coils and put them to good use and never had a problem w/o the brake line extender.
keep in mind though...he has a 2nd gen...seems like you have a 3rd from your avatar..so..it might be different
Old 02-17-2004, 07:04 PM

thanks for the replies...when you say those Bils rock which ones did you use?? I was trying to get model #'s for the Bil's and Rancho's (5000's or 9000's) so i can order them and install them soon. I thought the mechanic might have just been apprehensive from tightening it too much so i'll see what i can do with it this weekend. Thanks again!
Old 02-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

brakeline...

At first I couldn't figure out why he said to not get new shocks. Then it donned on me.

About the brake line, I didn't have any problems doing the actual install. I did have to tighten it very tight but I don't have any leaks. The only problems I had was removing the old brake lines. They stripped even when using flarenut wrenches so I was forced to used the vise-grips. Needless to say, I had to replace one of the hard lines after we destroyed it. But it was only a $7 part so I wasn't angry about it.

If I were you, I would call Downey and see what they have to say. If they put different brake lines in different kits (I doubt it) then maybe you got the wrong line. I would also look underneath there and see if the shop actually did what they said they did. It will be rather noticeable if they actually took off the old line and then put it back on. They may have just said that because they ran out of time or came up with something else to do.

Thats my thoughts.

Old 02-17-2004, 10:11 PM

bilsteins...

Good luck with the mechanic - like I said - I thought I was going to break it - but it held and has been fine for about the year that I have had it installed - so I would just make sure your mechanic isn't afraid of putting in some elbow grease. But I would agree that while it went on fine - taking it off for some reason would probably result in a busted knuckle...

I got the standard Bilsteins as the 1.5" lift on the rear is well within specs. Since it's a 2WD though - I don't have the need for anything more extreme. I know Bilstein has the shocks for trucks with 3-4 inches of lift as well - so I am not sure if that's something you want to look into. I think at that point you might want to look into Rancho since they might have a more diverse selection.

Make: TOYOTA
Type: Utility 2WD & 4WD (Standard Suspension)
Model: 4-Runner
Year: 90-95
Setting: HD
Front: B46-1468
Rear: B46-1469

But either way - it rides a gajillion times better than the stock setup - I really don't think you can make a wrong choice. It just handles so much better and is much more stable. I was debating putting in swayaways - but figured it could wait til later...
Old 02-18-2004, 04:15 AM

Sounds good on the shocks...the mechanic definitely tried to install it because i can see the brake fluid on the under body and a little on the new line so they def tried. Thanks
Old 02-18-2004, 05:13 AM

I had to crank it very tight to get it to seal. Stainless steel brake lines are another story compared to stock rubber lines. Try to put the replacement SS line on yourself.