Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Do I need new balljoints?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need new balljoints!

I keep my balljoints greased regularly. Last weekend I went to the sand dunes to play and well jumped my 4runner a few times. By saying jumped I mean tires off the ground jumped. All of my landings but one were pretty soft. I looked at my rig the other day and noticed I lost all of my grease all over the steering parts. So while wheeling the other day I started getting the famous balljoint creeking noise on bumps. I stopped into a lube shop being i was out of town and they lubed them up. The noise went away for the most part but do i need to just replace them. They cant snap can they from lack of grease? Ben

Last edited by Yoter; 05-08-2004 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:54 PM

hey blue....check for a rip in the rubber off the ball joints....if there is a rip then you will need new ones soon...or as soon as alot of sand and dirt get in there....just keep them greased and keep and eye on them....make sure that they aren't too flat or leaking...also check your alignement....if thats out then you prolly need new joints
cody
Old 05-08-2004, 06:18 PM

ok its official, I need uppers

I went out and greased them suckers only to see the upp BJs loose every bit of grease I pumped in. I wiped the grease away incase it was the old grease but it was still oozing. So..... now that I know I need upper BJs I might as well do the lowers aswell since I will have it all torn apart. Next question, does anyone know of any good online sources with decent prices for upper & lower ball joints. I have also heard of guys having to torch their BJs off. Is that really necisary? If so I have a bic lighter. jk
Old 05-08-2004, 09:10 PM

A torch is useful if you don't have the other tools available to you. But that's not a problem since you're hooked up! I can score a full set of factory balljoints for cheaper than aftermarket units. The factory joints are cheaper than you think. Bring it over and I'll be glad to tell you which balljoints are in need of replacement. Wanna donate some beer to me? If so I think I can get them done.

Originally Posted by BigBadBlue
I went out and greased them suckers only to see the upp BJs loose every bit of grease I pumped in. I wiped the grease away incase it was the old grease but it was still oozing. So..... now that I know I need upper BJs I might as well do the lowers aswell since I will have it all torn apart. Next question, does anyone know of any good online sources with decent prices for upper & lower ball joints. I have also heard of guys having to torch their BJs off. Is that really necisary? If so I have a bic lighter. jk