Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Balljoints went bad, brand new ones.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balljoints went bad, brand new ones.

A few months ago I needed to replace my balljoints (uppers) due to them dying on me in the sand dunes. So I got a good deal through ArmCan Parts in Canada. Had a offduty Toyota tech put them on with me during a mod day with out wheelin club. Well they have gone bad. From the looks of it the boots have separated from the base of the balljoints causing grease to ooze out. Now Im getting the balljoint creaking sounds. I emailed the company through Ebay and they replied. They do not want to replace them because they think they were either installed wrong, overgreased, or that I offroad my rig. I have not taken my rig offroad much in the past few month aside from a mud bog competition and simple drives in the hills. the only hardcore stuff I did was just the other day and the balljoints were messed up prior to that trip. So is it right of me to tell ArmCan I only use the 4runner as a daily driver? I sent pics of the boots being ripped as I call them but their actually separtated from the base. I knew the pics were hazy and offered to send more. I have emails that I may post depending on the replies I get here. I just want your thoughts on this. Ben
Attached Thumbnails Balljoints went bad, brand new ones.-ripped-ball-joint-boot-2.jpg  
Old 07-26-2004, 12:32 PM

another shot.
Attached Thumbnails Balljoints went bad, brand new ones.-ripped-balljoint-boot.jpg  
Old 07-26-2004, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If they had been Toyota OEM ball joints I'd say you need to check your limits of travel and make sure your bump stops are the right lenght, but since they aren't and I've never heard of that brand, I'm wondering if they were just crappy ball joints.

Last edited by mt_goat; 07-26-2004 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the issue is with the joints, boots to be specific. I have been running to-limits travel for years and even when my original joints went at 230,000 miles the boots were fine.

Does their warranty state it doesn't support off road use? Seems odd to make a part for an off road vehicle that can't stand some off road use. If you can, I would say try to get your money back and go with a better brand. What kind of business doesn't stand behind their products? Probably not one you wanna work with.

If you paid with a credit card, maybe you can get your dough back that way.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Frank
Old 07-26-2004, 05:29 PM

Ive been emailed back by the seller and he thinks I or someone working on my rig overgreased the ball joints. What it looks like is that the boots slipped off the base of the balljoint. I didnt know they could do that. He says just slip the boot back on. He also asks if I can send the balljoints to him and he will in turn after looking at them send them to the manufacturer that will or will not give him credit. I let him know that would mean I would be out of a rig for who knows how long. Then he gives me a story of "what would a local parts store do in this matter". I see where he is coming from but he doesnt want to see where I am coming from. I am going to attempt getting the boots back onto the balljoint if that is the issue and see where im at. but it was creaking the other day making me think they are getting ruined.