Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Differential Breather Mod w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differential Breather Mod w/pics

On my old truck, I did the full diff breather mod - all the way to the engine compartment. On my "new" 96 4Runner, I just wanted another 6-12" of stream crossing capability (top of the wheels). Here is the link for those of you who want check this install out. It took me a total of 20 minutes from start to finish.

Required "extra" parts:

1 Toyota differential breather (in addition to your stock breather)

Up to 12" of vacuum tube (get the same diameter tube as the threads on the breather) I used 7" length tube because that's all that I had.

2 squeeze-on hose clamps

1 zip tie

I hope you find the write-up informative and helpful. Its REALLY easy to do, and just might save you excess wear and tear on your rear diff. Later!
Old 02-10-2003, 07:59 AM

That's an interesting take on it...it should still keep you safe from the water though.

A lotta other people (myself included) route the end much higher up, but I dunno...you will probably be safe.

I'm sure they'll chime in with links to their pics. I have none...

Jim
Old 02-10-2003, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I would have gone with a longer tube if I had one. But for now, I will stick with the 7". I can always buy some longer tube. But this was free for me (I had all the parts sitting around in my garage)
Old 02-10-2003, 08:14 AM

Aah...yeah, that's the best way to go then.

Jim
Old 03-07-2003, 10:59 AM

is there a breather for the front ifs diffs? how does that work? is there also a tranny and transfer case breather?

i thought i remember hearing bout those before. not sure .
Old 03-07-2003, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by joshik
is there a breather for the front ifs diffs? how does that work? is there also a tranny and transfer case breather?

i thought i remember hearing bout those before. not sure .
Yes, there is a front breather. You can see it on the fender wall inside the engine bay, driver side. You can use my mod to extend this breather as well.

The original pics to this thread probably dont work anymore because picturetrail cut me off.

This is an idea for the front and the rear...

Old 03-07-2003, 11:15 AM

so you can use the same part for the front diff? man, stupid toyota parts guy. he said there isnt one. i asked, "so the front diff doesnt breath?" he said "no" . im all "ok" . i have to go back and order it again. :T

thanks!
Old 03-07-2003, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

so you can use the same part for the front diff? man, stupid toyota parts guy. he said there isnt one. i asked, "so the front diff doesnt breath?" he said "no" . im all "ok" . i have to go back and order it again. :T

thanks!
I was talking about 3rd Gen, and you have a 91, right? So please dont mark my word on that!
Old 03-07-2003, 11:37 AM

Yes,all the front diiffs on my rigs have had a breather-84,86,85,86,87,94.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks!
It's just like the rear one with the valve. You still have to extend it. The problem is that the oil pan (I think it's the oil pan) is really close to the breather so you will need to either cut any fitting you use or get one with a 90 deg elbow.

I believe the transfer also has the same style breather and you may want to extend it too. But, I think it's pretty hard to get to.

Steve
Old 03-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Robinhood150
It's just like the rear one with the valve. You still have to extend it. The problem is that the oil pan (I think it's the oil pan) is really close to the breather so you will need to either cut any fitting you use or get one with a 90 deg elbow.

I believe the transfer also has the same style breather and you may want to extend it too. But, I think it's pretty hard to get to.

Steve
Check this out. All you have to do is take apart the stock "head" right where it is by prying off the "cap." Then you attach a vacuum hose (like the one in my picture) and then you put a new breather from Toyota on the end of that. You never even have to get under the truck (for the front).
Old 03-07-2003, 01:28 PM

thanks!
Parts guy probably thought you were 2WD...
Old 03-07-2003, 01:44 PM

yeh maybe huh. but i thought i told him i was 4x4. i always say "91 pickup 4x4" . oh well :T
Old 03-07-2003, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Check this out. All you have to do is take apart the stock "head" right where it is by prying off the "cap." Then you attach a vacuum hose (like the one in my picture) and then you put a new breather from Toyota on the end of that. You never even have to get under the truck (for the front).
Great idea! I'll have to try that.

Steve
Old 03-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

For the rear diff. breather (I finally got to it last week) I just ran tubing up to the gas cap with a new union and breather from Toyota. I'd been waiting on the front, based on what I'd read on the tight space. Unless you've got real flexible tube, its going to get pinched by the tight angle it has to make, and are probably better off getting an elbow fitting so the tubing will lie flat, at least that's my thinking anyways.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
I'd been waiting on the front, based on what I'd read on the tight space. Unless you've got real flexible tube, its going to get pinched by the tight angle it has to make, and are probably better off getting an elbow fitting so the tubing will lie flat, at least that's my thinking anyways.
If you guys looking for the front fittings/union, I have a part number for you guys and it is a 90 degree union. The part number from Toyota is 90904-04001 and it should cost you around $9.72 at the dealer. I have this union on the front axle of my LX 450 and should be the same thread as the rear of your pick up or 4Runner. I haven't got the chance to compare it but it should be the same size and thread because as I looked it up when I was at the dealer and the parts saleman said they are the same thread. I will take a look at that in AM to see if they are really the same.

Hey 96Runner,

Where did you get that yellow tubing? I would like to get some of that so I can replace mine. Nice looking picture and set up. Please let me know where the heck did you get that tubing. Thanks.

Noel
Old 03-10-2003, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the front diff on 1st gen's - you're stuck with modifying the stock breather. The replacement unions are too long and don't fit under the oil pan. A 90deg. union would be great, but you can't thread one in because the hole is too close to the rest of the case - union won't spin w/o hitting the case. Like was said earlier, just pop the top off of the original, attach your extending hose (& maybe some sealant to be safe) and clamp it down.
Has anyone been able to extend the transfer and tranny breathers on a 1st gen?
Old 03-10-2003, 06:05 PM

front diffy breather

I'd been waiting on the front, based on what I'd read on the tight space. Unless you've got real flexible tube, its going to get pinched by the tight angle it has to make, and are probably better off getting an elbow fitting so the tubing will lie flat, at least that's my thinking anyways.
i did both mine this weekend (first major acomplishment) and i was able to do the front with the Nissan part that people have used (i lost the part number but it is the one that they used in the 4x4wire writeup). It was a tight fit up front but it did fit....i used 7/32'' vaccum hose with some Fram G12 filters on top...

are the stock breathers on the transmission and transfer the same as the ones on the diffys....so i know what i am looking for........