Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Did some maintenance over the weekend

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did some maintenance over the weekend

Hey gang. I did some much needed maintenace on my 4runner this weekend, all at the advice of posts and thread here. I am clueless about mechanics but from the writeups and postings things went smoothly. Thanks all. Here's what I did and the results
1. Changed the sway bar bushings
BIG difference in the handling. I was skeptical about the huge results claimed when doing this and was surprised at the results.
2. Cleaned throttle body. I was also skeptical. But there were obvious but subtle differences in performance. It was pretty filthy in there. Waiting to see if MPG increases at all.
3. Oil change with mobile synthetic.
4. Did the rear brake adjustment. The one where you reverse and pull the e-brake. That made an great difference cause I had mushy brake syndrome.

My next item is the changing the fuel filter. I'mm a bit scared cause I'll have gas spilling everywhere and am not too comfortable doing this. If you guys have any advice let me know(I am aware of the write up). Thanks again for all the great info!!
Old 10-27-2004, 12:59 PM

Great to hear. That's why

Congrats on performing your own maintenance!! For the "clueless" who don't ususlly wrench, tearing in to the TB can be intimidating.

So, your brakes got better I take it. All the mush out? or just somewhat mobetta?
Old 10-27-2004, 01:07 PM

Still a bit mushy. Probably something more than just adjusting the rear brakes but much better than before.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Thats awesome, It kind of dissapoints me when people take their cars to the stealership for simple maintance.

Sounds like your now ready for an engine swap!!!!!
Old 10-27-2004, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Yamaha+Toyota=Fun
Thats awesome, It kind of dissapoints me when people take their cars to the stealership for simple maintance.

Sounds like your now ready for an engine swap!!!!!
The good side of taking your vehicle to a dealership is that all the maintenance is documented, so in the future if you want to sell it, the docs are right there proving how well maintained it!! Plus you can as for a couple thousand more!!!
Old 10-27-2004, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

I've always wrenched my own cars...not too scared of anything, but having the right equipment is KEY. Good tools are a must.

Congrats on tearing into it, man. What sway bar bushings did you use? I'm sure mine are shot to hell. I'd like to get this little trick done soon...

Old 10-27-2004, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by slyang1012
The good side of taking your vehicle to a dealership is that all the maintenance is documented, so in the future if you want to sell it, the docs are right there proving how well maintained it!! Plus you can as for a couple thousand more!!!
Sounds to me that someone (don't know who???) is trying to justify the costs of the dealer service to keep from doin' it theirself. They're (don't know who???) either rich or lazy. If they're (don't know who???) rich, I can't sayz I blame em for being lazy. If I had the funds, I'd sure let someone else do the work(after provin' competance). The reason I say this is that it's easy enough to document yourself. I mean, if you can do the PM's, you can definately write. I believe there's even pages for it in back of the glove box manual. Does your dealer log it there for your referance??? or just log it in their system???

The biggest plus to doin' it yourself isn't really the $$$ savings. It's knowing it's done right.

Last edited by SloPoke; 10-27-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

the fuel filter is a piece o' cake. No worries about the gas spilling out, just dont be choking back a cigar or anything at the time

And the write-up tells you it spills out a lot of gas, well it does. MORE than you think it will!
Old 10-28-2004, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by FORANA
My next item is the changing the fuel filter. I'mm a bit scared cause I'll have gas spilling everywhere and am not too comfortable doing this. If you guys have any advice let me know(I am aware of the write up). Thanks again for all the great info!!

One thing i did was removed the fuel cap to release the pressure in the tank.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also on the fuel filter, be aware if you are doing it in a garage that said garage does not also contain a gas water heater w/ pilot light. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation. That said, mine didn't really leak all that much.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:00 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slyang1012
You MIGHT get $1000 more than one w/o records, but by the time you sell it, you've paid WAY more than $1000 in marked up dealer prices and exhorborant labor charges to get the "services" done when the "services" either MAY or MAY NOT be the actual suggested maintenance or even on the suggested schedule.

It's best to do it yourself and save that money in the long run. Besides, wrenching is fun!
Old 10-28-2004, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FORANA
Still a bit mushy. Probably something more than just adjusting the rear brakes but much better than before.

Just do it when you about empty tank. About 3 ounces or less of gas will come out just have something to catch it. And wear goggles when you do it. So gas or gas splatter dont get into your eyes.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by GregStevens
I've always wrenched my own cars...not too scared of anything, but having the right equipment is KEY. Good tools are a must.

Congrats on tearing into it, man. What sway bar bushings did you use? I'm sure mine are shot to hell. I'd like to get this little trick done soon...

Wheeler Off Road has a great kit. It was 23 bucks and 8 bucks shipping(I live in Hawaii). Its the poly bushings so they are stiff and awesome. I hear its not as good for offroading though cause it prevents the sway bar from flexing. Check them out wheelersoffroad.com. Cool stuffs
Old 10-28-2004, 10:57 AM

In my mind 4runners speak for themselves. Here in Hawaii they are in demand. So I don't think someone will be willing to pay a $1000 more just cause you have papers showing the maintenance records. It's pretty obvious if the owner has taken care of it or not. Well thats just my feelings.

THANKS ALL for all the great tips and info. You guys rock.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:07 PM

for the fuel filter, just relieve the pressure in the system. (I haven't done this yet on the 4runner but i did on my Taco). There was a plug under the drivers seat that goes through the floor, this contains the fuel pump power, just disconnect it, and try to start the truck. it'll probably start for a second, then die. then wrench away! some gas will dribble out, but not nearly as much as if you don't depressureize the system.

Steve

Edit: Make sure you use the correct wrenches Use Flare nut wrenches, don't use just regular open end wrenches, you'll end up stripping the fittings. If you don't have the right ones go buy them they aren't that expensive...

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00944196000

Last edited by NorCalVP; 10-28-2004 at 05:11 PM.