95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

dealership tried to screw me!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 05:45 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking remote transmitter

Originally Posted by jimrockford
I just got back from the dealer. I bought a keyless entry remote transmitter "at cost" since I just bought a 1998 4Runner from them. It cost me $68. I could have got it brand new off the Internet for $62.

They offered to program it for me for $40. I asked the parts guy if he knew what was involved in programming a remote. He didn't. I explained that you turn on the key, press the reset button on the alarm unit, and then press a key on the remote. I asked him if he thought that was worth $40. He said, "probably not". I told him I agreed.
You got taken anyway man. I got a brand new remote off Ebay for $15 shipped and found the program instructions on Yotatech. Dealer wanted $168 for a new one programmed. Glad I passed and did my homework as I saved $153 big ones and got a brand new programmed remote!

Old 05-27-2004, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You got taken anyway man. I got a brand new remote off Ebay for $15 shipped and found the program instructions on Yotatech. Dealer wanted $168 for a new one programmed. Glad I passed and did my homework as I saved $153 big ones and got a brand new programmed remote!
Yeah, I knew it was a rip off going in. But I checked out Ebay and just didn't see anything I wanted. Everything I found was VERY used. Plus, being an impatient sort of guy, I didn't want to wait. So I paid the $68 and told the guy what I thought of his "at cost" price. I passed on the programming and did it myself in about 30 seconds.

Funny thing was, the manual for the alarm was in the glove compartment. It has the instructions for programming it. I don't know why anyone would pay to have that done.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

You got taken. I got two off ebay for $20 shipped.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member

Old 05-27-2004, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

I got mine for $25 at the dealer and they programmed it for me for free...as waskilly said, its good to know the people at the dealer by name. Me and the parts guy have become pretty good friends outside from the dealer as well, turns out we both to hang out hot girls and go skiing and wakeboarding, what a coincidence

Fink
Old 05-27-2004, 07:34 PM

Ebay rules! Buy your parts off Ebay, if there is a deal then pay labor only if you cant or dont want to do it Yourself. If I went to my exhaust shop I frequent and bought a cat and tail pipe with labor it would cost $150+. I bought the Magnaflow for like $45 and it cost me $40 for the rest. Be a smart shopped and know where to go. Dealerships are like deadend streets, we all end up going down them. Just know where to turn around at to get out of it.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:24 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Twice

Originally Posted by bobzemuda
I feel like I got taken and abused TWICE!

Old 05-28-2004, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by 98 Joes
I had my muffler + tailpipe replaced at the dealer also. It came to something around $150. They did a really nice job on it. So nice that as I was driving home I thought, HMM, it sure is a lot quieter in here now. That was because the mechanic cleaned out the $4 in quarters I had in the coin holder slots on the console. I'm just waiting to go back for something and I'll have them write it up on the work order that 'tips aren't included in the price of repairs.' I figured it wasn't worth making a scene over 4 bucks.
It was probably the freaking porter.Where i work none of them speak much english and overall they are pretty dumb.As far as technicians look on the walls in the service area and see if they post there credentials.I'd pretty much trust an ASE certified Master tech. working on my car.At least you can assume he has an idea of what he is doing.At my stealership i wouldn't let half of the "technicians" change the oil in my truck.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:49 AM
TOR

Ahhh yes, one big happy family!

Todd

Originally Posted by HondaTec521
It was probably the freaking porter.Where i work none of them speak much english and overall they are pretty dumb.As far as technicians look on the walls in the service area and see if they post there credentials.I'd pretty much trust an ASE certified Master tech. working on my car.At least you can assume he has an idea of what he is doing.At my stealership i wouldn't let half of the "technicians" change the oil in my truck.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:54 AM

Getting to know your local dealer on a first name basis, a salesperson (Shawn Simpson), the parts guy (Jason Terry) and the service manager (Paul Hardin) is a must IMO. Takes a little extra time and some brown nosing, but worth the effort IMO in the long run.
i couldn't agree more. i know all the main people at my HOME dealership by name, and they all know me by first name as well. (signature toyota in benton harbor michigan is excellent).
Old 05-28-2004, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by bobzemuda
man, i wish there was a factory remote for my truck! (my car too!). i guess i'll have to work on putting power options in my truck FIRST, and THEN get an aftermarket one.