Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Daystar or Revtek for 03 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daystar or Revtek for 03 4runner

I am having a hard time deciding between the two. Daystar seems to be all urethane and Revtek looks like steel up front and urethane in the rear. Then there is price. Daystar runs $238 vs. $488 for Revtek from wheelers offroad. Now the Revtek does come with new rear shocks, but I don't think that the shocks run $125 each. I know the Daystar is listed at 2.5 and the Revtek is listed at 3.0 inches. My experiences with lifts are that those are nominal measurements so I don't expect much difference. I am really just looking to run 265/70 17s on stock wheels without rubbing. Based on info from Lefty's posts, I think I will be fine with the stock wheels.

These are my questions:
Which one is better and why?
If the revtek is better, is it worth the extra $250?
Can I find a better price than wheelers?

I will now sit back and enjoy your responses.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

both are about the same but one will give abit more lift.

if you xreas then the rear shock is useless (completely, guess you can fleabay it).

lifts are lifts... esp when it comes to spacers since it's not rocket science.

good luck
Old 11-19-2004, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by PistonSlap
I am really just looking to run 265/70 17s on stock wheels without rubbing. Based on info from Lefty's posts, I think I will be fine with the stock wheels.

These are my questions:
Which one is better and why?
If the revtek is better, is it worth the extra $250?
Can I find a better price than wheelers?

I will now sit back and enjoy your responses.
FYI - 265/70 17s will fit w/o a lift.

I recently installed a 1" spacer from Daystar in my front-end to level out my 2004 T4R and I couldn't be happier. It rides and handles exactly the same way it was delivered to me off the showroom floor. I say go with Daystar and use the extra $250 to have Stubbs build you some sliders.

YMMV
Old 11-19-2004, 04:11 PM
Banned

daystar's 2.5" lift compresses over time because of the material they used.
revtek will rust, but at least it does not compress over time.

it really depends on how much lift you want. i take it you don't have xreas, so is good ... i really like our custom lifts that we do up for $399 including longer rear shocks, and we use a high density poly that doesn't compress over time. so that's another lift to keep in mind (nitrous enterprises) ... then of course there are a lot of non-spacer lifts, but if you are worried about price, you'll want to stick with a spacer lift.

how much lift are you wanting? if you just want 265/70 to fit withotu rubbing, you probably don't need much more than an inch or so in the front. then again, there are many people running that size tire without ANY amount of lift ... so that's another possibility!
Old 11-19-2004, 05:58 PM

Yeah, it is non XREAS so I don't have to worry about the shocks. I don't really like the idea of changing just the rear shocks. I also don't really like the idea of squeezing a chunk of urethane between metal suspension parts.

Rocky, I was looking at your revtek write up and of course the pictures I want to see, the completed job, do not expand. It is just me? $399 is a lot better than $488, but I think I can get by with the 2.5 daystar. This thing is will not see any serious off roading for several more years. I really just want to run the 265/70 17 BFGs.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

that's only one size up so if you don't want to lift it, you really don't have to do so.

just some food for thought
Old 11-19-2004, 07:15 PM

"Effective August 17, 2000, Daystar Products International, Inc. achieved QS9000 certification, a standard developed and administered by the International Standards Organization.

Quality control test facility includes a fully equipped laboratory to perform tests to ASTM (American Society for Testing Materials) standards of rebound, hardness, elongation, tensile, and tear. Daystar subscribes to ASTM (American Society for Testing Materials) protocols for all of its testing and standards. "

"Daystar's lifts utilize virtually indestructable and lifetime guaranteed polyurethane spacers."

I think you're safe going with Daystar. I'm sure Revtek is great too.
Wheelersoffroad.com is a good place to shop for the stuff. Good service and prices.

You can also check here for a writeup with pictures
http://www.ezdries.net/html/daystar_lift.html

oh yeah, you don't have to lift for 265/70-17's. That's for sure- so like Lance said, you have options.

Last edited by FirstToy; 11-19-2004 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Have any of you looked into the "big truck" coils? Tundra and Sequoia.

Best thing since sliced bread for the 3rd Gen. Able to seriously spank any bling bling cloil over in a single bound.

Bottom line, the tires stay on the ground. Big time. The most incredable 160 dollar lift.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:42 PM
Banned

Daystar spacers may be "indestructible" but they compress over time. that being said, if it's what you want - go for it, if Daystar is what you want, then get it!
Old 11-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Banned

and daystar is polyurethane. furthermore, i think you can buy a front only lift from them if all you're wanting is to fit the tires ... you can really fit them without a lift, but if you're looking for a lift also to level it out a bit, a small front lift would be really cost effective. i think the best price is at wheeler's ...
Old 11-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

Folks. Spacers are ok, but a real live unloaded coil is a heck of alot better. A million times better. The Frankenstein blew away the SAW and the Tundra/Revtek blows the Frank away.

The 4th Gen is stuck in the stone age? Why?

What are your 4th gen spring specs? I'm willing to bet they are all interchangeable like the Tundra, Seq, Tacoma, 3rd Gen, etc.

Spring ID, OD and hight, please.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Banned

that sounds like a cool idea, steve. what makes the tundra coils better than the 4runner? if he changed those out, would he need to get longer front shocks?
Old 11-19-2004, 07:54 PM

I installed tundra shocks/coils with a daystar 1.5" spacer on my 01 dub cab and it was way too stiff (I got air off a speed bump).

Those coils are pretty damn thick, are 4runners that much heavier than my tacoma that they work on 4runners and not my truck? Or does the spacer make that big of a difference
Old 11-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by George4door
I installed tundra shocks/coils with a daystar 1.5" spacer on my 01 dub cab and it was way too stiff (I got air off a speed bump).

Those coils are pretty damn thick, are 4runners that much heavier than my tacoma that they work on 4runners and not my truck? Or does the spacer make that big of a difference
The magic is with NO spacers. Put a spacer in and as you found out, you ruin it.

Any shock will work. The wire on the coil is thicker but the exact same height as a 1999 4Runner front coil. Making it a factory 1.5" lift spring for the 3rd Gens. Revtek or Andy top out makes it a 2" lift with no inner spacer compression.

100% stock ride and flex at 2" if lift. And it is very cheap.

Good night, I'm going to sleep.

Last edited by sschaefer3; 11-19-2004 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Apart from Downey, spacers seems to be the only stuff availible at the moment.

I agree that a coil/shock setup will be better than spacers, but they dont seem to be availible at the moment. Haven't heard of reusing the 3rd gen or Tundra coils, but the 4th gen suspension seems very different from the 3rd gen so I dont know.

I have heard a little birdy said OME might be coming out soon with parts for the 4th gen, but dont know when.

My experience with Daystar has not been great, when I compared my lift to Firsttoy Daystar it is obvious that they improved the material of the kit substantially. I have contacted them and they said they will send me replacement spacers for the front (still waiting so lets see). If the replacements are like Firsttoy's it should be good, and I'll give them praise for standing by their product. If they jerk me around you'll know.

I compared my Daystar with XREAS vs ahriman with the normal suspension and Revtek. He has a lot more flex in the back than I do with the shocks that come with Revtek. The Daystar seems to interfere less with the normal handling of the 4R.

NE has some kits availible as well, so at least the selection is improving. I got a custom rear spacer from NE, which is a big benefit. Order the size you want.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:38 AM
Contributing Member

Anyone have a pic of a 4th Gen front coil off of the shock? Anyone have any measurements.

I am willing to bet your coils are in the same family. You get me the numbers and I'll get you a coil.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FirstToy
"Effective August 17, 2000, Daystar Products International, Inc. achieved QS9000 certification, a standard developed and administered by the International Standards Organization.
Just a note on all xxx9000 certifications. All this means is that (a) the company has a process, (b) the process is documented, (c) the process is followed.

The process itself may be completely worthless. The products turned out may be complete junk. But, if they followed a documented process while turning out that junk, it's certified. Certified junk.

I am NOT saying this about Daystar. After everything I've read about Daystar, I wouldn't mind going with their product if they offered a product I wanted. Those certification claims - by all who make them - just bug me. A lot of it has to do with supplying parts to companies who require you to be "certified". As if it has a lot of meaning.

Edit: There IS a purpose to the certifications. And that purpose is to make it easier to IMPROVE your process. But most companies seem to just stop at getting the stamp of approval.

Last edited by kickaha; 11-20-2004 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Anyone have a pic of a 4th Gen front coil off of the shock? Anyone have any measurements.

I am willing to bet your coils are in the same family. You get me the numbers and I'll get you a coil.
Don't know if any of these pics will help.

From bulldog-yota's writeup:
http://www.ezdries.net/html/daystar_lift.html

From rocky's writeup:
http://box.ixolo.com/revtek.html
Pics are at the bottom of that page. A lot of the links don't work anymore for some reason, but you can get the pictures from here:
http://box.ixolo.com/full/
Old 11-20-2004, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3

Just for ya yokohomo, here's the part numbers:

V6 2WD
FR 48131-35500
FL 48131-35520

V8 2WD
FR 48131-35510
FL 48131-35530

V6 4WD
FR 48131-35450
FL 48131-35470

V8 4WD
FR 48131-35460
FL 48131-35480

Don't have measurements of any coils as mine are sitting at a shop. Sorry.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Banned

i'll have mine off in a day or two ... if no one has posted them before then, i'll post them.

Quick Reply: Daystar or Revtek for 03 4runner