Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Damn drunk people need to learn how to drive!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speechless... im sorry
Old 12-17-2004, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Very sorry for your loss, drkgypsy. No apologies necessary. I would be very much in favor of extreme penalties for instances where people were injured. And for very extreme penalties in cases where people were killed.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kickaha
The chances of this being passed in CA? Slim.
The chances of this being passed in TX? None.

Never going to happen. Too many law makers have done the same thing and there's a natural tendency to be lenient on punishing something that you have been guilty for in the past.

drkgypsy:
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss and you have EVERY right to vent! That guy needs to fry.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:01 AM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
Thumbs up

Thanks all, you guys are truly the best !!!!!! And as for the guy fryin' well....

Last edited by drkgypsy; 12-18-2004 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one in the USA or Canada is serious about cracking down on drunk driving. I'll give you an example - we allow parking lots at bars. Need I say more?
Old 12-18-2004, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
No one in the USA or Canada is serious about cracking down on drunk driving. I'll give you an example - we allow parking lots at bars. Need I say more?
excellent point... the bars i went to in europe didnt have parking lots... but then again, what in europe does have parking lots
Old 12-21-2004, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Exclamation Quick Update

A cop went and talked to the guy that hit me and he DIDN'T get arrested . Someone's supervisor will be hearing from me tomorrow. He was supposed to bring over his info but my gf had to go over and drag it out of him. Anyways, his insurance was screwing me over all day yesterday. The insurance guy came out yesterday and said it had $860 worth of damage using Napa parts . After that I spent an hour and a half at the rental car place trying to get a car. Finally someone lit the fire under State Farm's ass and they got their crap together. So I got my rental which is a brand new Maxima. Not a bad ride and this thing will get it pretty good.

Anyways, the 4runner went to the dealership this morning and I just heard back from the service guy. Here's what he told me and here's what the insurance guy said.

Insurance guy: $860
Steering gear
Center link
Wheel
Alignment

Service guy: $4076.63
Lower control arm
Inner tie rod end
Center link
Steering gear ($2800 )
Wheel
Alignment
Wheel Bearings and seals

I think that was everything my service guy said. He's supposed to get a quote to me in the morning.

Wish me luck guys because I have a feeling this isn't going to be easy trying to get State Farm to fix what their client did.

Isn't is a law that I can have my vehicle fixed anywhere I want and with their parts?

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I just updated the parts list from my service guy. I'm going to have to use reman parts from Napa so they don't total my vehicle. Napa has pretty good quality so I'm not too worried about it.

Last edited by AgRunner06; 12-22-2004 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:40 AM

That suck's he just lucky you didn't catch him.... Grab a lawn chair and wait on the front porch for him to come home...
Old 12-27-2004, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

New Update...State Farm Sucks!!!!

Any of you who have State Farm need to drop them ASAP. My service guy has been fighting with them to get this thing fixed and they've just been rude and inconsiderate. Beware if you use State Farm.

Here's the new scoop. The dealership is going to replace the center link, tie rod end, steering box, and I guess the wheel if they can find one. Then they are going to put in on the alignment machine to prove to the adjuster that the lower control arm is also bent. Then that will get fixed.

They are going to use a salvage steering box which I'm not too pleased about. My service guy is fine with it and says he's used the place that it came from many times and that they offer a guarantee on their parts. He also likes using a salvage part rather than a reman because it is a genuine Toyota part. He's never steered me wrong so I'm going to trust him.

I talked to the police officer handling the case the other night. He said that I need to get him a written estimate. Then he will go forward and get a warrant for the guys arrest. So he will be going to jail.

That's it for now. Let me know what you guys think.

:bounce2:
Old 12-27-2004, 02:07 PM

Is the guy allowed visitors at jail? Maybe we could get a group of us together and we could go down as cousins? Just to say hi?
Old 12-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

...and what would your intent be?
It's not like visitors go into a small room without cameras or anything.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:22 PM

So we could press ham against the window that seperates us, what do you think? I was being sarcastic, jeesh.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Unhappy Update time again...

I finally got the 4runner back after the idiots at the insurance company mailed the check to my dad and at the wrong address instead of just paying the shop. The used power steering pump is leaking and the steering wheel is slightly sideways so it's going back tomorrow. I won't have a rental anymore because I turned it in before I got the 4runner (big mistake). The rental place also saw the scratch I put in it and might make a claim on my insurance to fix it. Today has just been a wonderful day...

On the upside, I turned in the paperwork so the police officer can get the warrant for the guy's arrest. Hopefully that won't take too long to happen.

Hopefully it will get fixed right. It seems like the stuff that needs to get fixed on it is just piling up.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Well at least yer gettin Her fixed.:pat: (sort of) You never know about insurance. sometimes they help, sometimes they hurt. If someone hasen't told You yet; DOCUMENT EVERYTHING....If it wasn't written down, it didn't happen. Happy New Year and Good Luck!
Old 01-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

all cars should have breathalizers, standard!
Old 01-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

I heard an urban legend that down in s. America somewhere if you get caught driving drunk, they execute you on the spot. Probably a boogie man story to scare young drivers.
Here in AZ if you get arrested, Sheriff joe posts your mugshot on the internet. That would be great for this guy. The forum could have a new section titled "dumb a$$ drunks" with pics of all those dorks
Old 02-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

One more update...

I got the 4runner back about a month ago. Everything is finally fixed and working well. The rental company never called back about the scratch so that's good. The guy that hit me got arrested and had a hell of a time getting out of jail thanks to a buddy of mine. So all is better.

Thanks

Ag
Old 04-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

Another Update...

The rental company finally called back about the scratch...$370 down the drain.

The guy that hit me plead guilty to failure to stop and give information. Here's what he received:

1. 1 yr deferred adjudication
2. $500 fine
3. 70 hours of community service
4. A letter of apology to me

He still got off easier than if he had gotten a DWI like he should have. Texas has been cracking down and the prices for them has gotten really high...much higher than this crap.

Oh well, what can you do. I can't do anything else unless I don't get that letter of apology. Then I will be placing a courtesy call to County Attorney.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

did the rental company inspect the car when you returned it? did they find the scratch at that time? was the car rented after you returned it? could the scratch have happened on their lot after you returned the car and they inspected it? you may have a valid argument for not paying for the damage if you can prove any of the above.

lee