Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Crashes my Taco...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crashes my Taco...

I know there's a bunch of threads already about crashes and stuff but I have some questions now that I've crashed... So it all started when my girlfriend got a call from her cousin saying her aunt is having trouble breathing, we tell her to call 911 and we're on our way. (I live 1 min from her cousin) So we jump in my truck, I started backing up (as usual) and as I turn to put my truck out on the street BAM! I look over and I had swung my front end into a Saturn... Haha dang, so I had told my girl she should just run over while I dealt with this. I went and got the owner. It turns out I only really skimmed it but I managed to make contact with his front and rear door as well as slide down his plastic bumper. The doors were just scuffed paint but the bumper was kind of "unseated". So I told him to get a quote from a shop and I'll give him cash. I didn't want to make a claim because I don't see it being over a couple hundred. and if I have a 1000 deductible I'm just going to raise my rates. I know without seeing the damage done you can't really give me a accurate guess on the body work price but could anyone try to give me a rough estimate? Should I just file a claim? I have faith that this will all be taken care of but it's kind of new to me. Anyone have any advice? Oh and my truck is perfectly fine. Lol I cleaned the paint scuff off of my bumper with a sponge. Thanks guys and gals!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:09 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trust me, its gonna be 1500 or so. The cost of a new bumper is cheap, its the paint to match the rest of the car.

I was in my work van and backed right into some dumb girls sentra about 2 months ago. Bumper was scratched up but coulda been repaired-they chose to replace b/c its cheaper and less labor in the end. Paint was what got me, 50 bucks a gallon..
Old 10-01-2007, 10:13 AM

call your current company and ask them their procedure on claims. the deductible will only apply to getting your truck fixed. the liability (property damage portion) has no deductible. every company is different, sometimes filing a claim will double your rates, sometimes you have accident forgiveness. have the saturn owner get an estimate, and go from there. hate to say it, but the claims we see, youre probably looking at a couple thousand.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:31 AM

Haha wow! Well I'll keep my chin up and just wait to hear from him. I know it will work out. Thanks guys! Please keep the info coming!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If you are going to be paying (your insurance or cash) tell the guy you want at least 3 estimates. Don't go off the estimate his insurance company quotes get written quotes from the companies that would be doing the work. Do a little leg work yourself. If you can pay cash it never goes on your account so no increase. Depending on your insurance company it may be worth it to just have them deal with the other party as it could be a non issue (accident forgiveness)

As was mentioned, deductible is for YOUR vehicle not his/her. Depending on the damage, paint damage to bumper, if the bumper skin was not cut through, it could be paint only. If you didn't dent the doors and it was only scuffed paint then a buff out on that could still be several hundred plus labor so if you get out of this for under a grand you'll be lucky. Good luck
Old 10-01-2007, 11:57 AM

if you offer to pay to have it fixed like every one else said, get quotes then tell him to take it to the one of your choice and you pay the bill that way it is guaranteed that it is fixed and he dose not just pocket the cash you give him.