Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

cold! cold! weather noise in front end

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold! cold! weather noise in front end

I've been hearing a noise occasionally when driving in really cold weather here in Minnesota- around 0 or below. It sounds like up front left but I can't really tell if it is from the driveline or engine compartment. It is like a loud humm that usually lasts about 4-5 seconds, then quits. No grinding or clicking. Might come back, might not for a while. I've tried hitting the brakes when it occurs and turning the wheel, but it is hard to catch because it comes and goes quickly. It definitely seems to be temperature related, I have never heard it at warmer temperatures. I don't really know what to check, and I'm worried something might fail at the worst time when I'm 10 miles from nowhere and it's 10 below. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I have a 91 4wd 4runner with manual trans. I've heard the noise both in 2wd and 4wd. First winter with the vehicle.
Thanks for any help
Old 02-11-2003, 09:16 PM

When I lived in Gunnison one of my buddys had an SR5 P/U (what got me here in the firstplace) with the ADD. when it was cloder than about oh -20* the greese in the front diff would get really stiff and the diff would seem like it was gonna enguage withought driver input! It never did though and the problem would go away as the diff wormed up!
Dont know if that helps...

_travis
Old 02-12-2003, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you live in the REALLY COLD places, you would benefit from using synthetic gear oils in the differentials. Not thick at cold temps.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:12 AM

I dont know exactly what part it is that the makes the noise, having ADD hubs is the culpret though. I switched my rig to Aisins about 8 days back... it hasnt made the noise since. I think our "high" temp. since I made the sw. has been 15 degrees. Mostly, it's been below zero.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:24 AM

I had the same problem. it has to do with the bushings in the front axel. Toyota used a inferior grease that would stiffen up when it got cold so they redisigned the bushings but didn't do a recall. Dealer told me they could repackthem as best they could with a better grease, but it would only be a temporary fix. I wrote a letter to Toyota to complain about the problem and they told me to have it fixed at my dealer and send them the bill. I did and was reimburessed the whole $650. This is why I love Toyotas!

Master tech at my dealer said not changing it will not do any damage. Once the grease heats up it quiet down. I pursed the issue with Toyota because, call me crazy, if I hear some moaning and grinding something is getting damaged. It took a little pushing on my part, but they gave in.

What year is your Toy? Try going to your dealer and see what they say. I may still have the reciept, if I do I'll look and be able to give you part numbers and such.

Good Luck.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:44 AM
Banned

Originally posted by tpg013
I had the same problem. it has to do with the bushings in the front axel. Toyota used a inferior grease that would stiffen up when it got cold so they redisigned the bushings but didn't do a recall. Dealer told me they could repackthem as best they could with a better grease, but it would only be a temporary fix. I wrote a letter to Toyota to complain about the problem and they told me to have it fixed at my dealer and send them the bill. I did and was reimburessed the whole $650. This is why I love Toyotas!

Master tech at my dealer said not changing it will not do any damage. Once the grease heats up it quiet down. I pursed the issue with Toyota because, call me crazy, if I hear some moaning and grinding something is getting damaged. It took a little pushing on my part, but they gave in.

What year is your Toy? Try going to your dealer and see what they say. I may still have the reciept, if I do I'll look and be able to give you part numbers and such.

Good Luck.
That's truly amazing! I can't believe they paid for the fix. I had the same noise and fixed it myself by taking out the axleshaft and greasing the crap out of it myself. The idea of complaining to a dealer service department never crossed my mind. There is no free lunch. All of these free fixes ensure that the price of parts, service and new vehicles won't be comming down any time soon.

How old of a rig was this done on?
Old 02-12-2003, 07:54 AM

It's a '94 Runner and the fix was done probably in the winter of '98 or '99 don't quite remember.

Yeah I was pretty amazed too. My line of reasoning was that it was unfair that they realized there was a problem went so far as to fix it so it didn't happen on future models and not do a recall. They really didn't give me too hard of a time. I think it was one letter and two or three phone calls.

Keep in mind the service department did not do the leg work. I had to do that myself. I had to even pay for it, but as I said , I was reimburssed by Toyota.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

hmm...try looking at this thread. It might help you out. it sounds like how my problem started out.

Last edited by metal22lica; 02-12-2003 at 08:29 AM.