Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Clear Turn Signals for 3rd Gen 4Runner and 1st Gen Tacoma ARB Bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks again Mick-got these installed this evening finally and those Scotch locks are the cats meow to work with.

Idiot proof even for me. Hella side markers coming up.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Fink - Thank you for the kind words... I lurked for a while (soaking up info) before I was willing to post, so I humbly accept your compliment. Hopefully I can offer as much help as I've already received here.

@Ron - I'm glad it went well. I'd like to see a photo of the side markers if/when you install them. I've considered them, but I've got so many projects that side markers are on the burner behind the back burner right now. In fact, I ordered my welder this week and have started laying aside some steel to fabricate a new rear bumper. I've gotten some good info/images from Bandit Runner on his design... he's the man when it comes to design and his CAD skill is top shelf.

Anyway, I'm happy to have helped out. If I make it out to Denver, I'm going to stop by and solve your RF interference problems in person.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:10 PM

you are too good to me Mick.

I will get you some shots of the side markers once done but I am a blatant copycat... Ritzy showed me the way and LSUMatt I believe also has a thread and Sonar as well.

I believe I should be able to solve my CB/Basslink thump situation by using a different firewall hole for the CB antenna wiring. I am reading there is another hole to be found on the passenger side but have not yet looked very hard for it.

But for now I simply turn off my head unit, which kills the Basslink when I feel the need to transmit via CB. Does not seem to affect Public Address transmissions-and I love telling people "Hey your left brake light is out" they look for the cop car unable to really tell where the voice is coming from.

I'm still bothered by the occasional cellphone type interference on the Basslink but it's become more and more rare. A mere annoyance only.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:31 PM

@Ron - On the matter of CB interference, I'd like to offer an explanation and two suggestions.

Your description of the difference between radio vs. PA use served to provide clear troubleshooting information. To explain why you have interference when using the CB to transmit and not the PA speaker is that there is no RF output when using the PA... since it goes only to the speaker and not out to other CB radios via the antenna. In other words, your antenna is the source of your interference and not power, ground or other cause.

My first suggestion would be shielded signal wire (I believe the Basslink uses RCA) from the head unit to the sub. Though I doubt this will quash the CB's RF transmission burst enough to solve the problem.

Second suggestion, and the more appropriate solution, would be to shorten the antenna wire (straight-line, no loops) when you re-route it and keep it as far from the signal wire (to the Basslink) and head unit as possible. I believe Radio Shack (the store of last resort) sells crimp-on CB antenna connectors which would allow you to cut the antenna wire to length... and you wouldn't have to push that connector through the hole in the firewall. Simply cut the connector off (keeping the wire full-length), fish the wire through the firewall (wire only, no connector), then cut the wire to length after you've routed it through the passenger side.

Hopefully this makes as much sense in writing as it did in my head... let me know if I can offer further clarification.

And apologies to everyone that thought they were reading about turn signals... for hi-jacking my own thread.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:00 PM

understood Mick -you suggested the antenna line shortening earlier. I have just been too lazy to tear the whole dash apart to do it. Yes because the antenna wire runs right next to the main power feed and through that same hole in the firewall to feed the Basslink I am certain that is the cause. You had diagnosed same earlier, and I simply need to spend the time to separate the 2 wires.

Honestly I rarely transmit on the CB much at all it's more a play toy for the PA function at present. And it receives just fine on CB and I can still listen to my radio/CDs with no issues, it's merely keying the mic (in the CB mode) that causes issues.

Once I have the dash back apart I am hoping to eliminate my Cobra external speaker and run a mini to mini wire from back of CB to feed my Sony's auxillary input jack (front of head unit)Then I can simply listen to my CB through the radio speakers-including the Basslink for that matter. That is another copycat idea that was mentioned over on T4R.org. Apologies to the original poster -whose name escapes me.

sorry for getting us off topic as well. This is the nature of my brain on Bacardi and how I clutter it with these projects mostly completed but still always being tweaked for utter perfection.

Last edited by Ron Helmuth; 06-11-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:38 PM

pics of a great new look

pics of installed lenses. Note how the dog shoves her mug into each photo.

Just as when I open the back end of the truck she assumes it is all about her going to the mountains- now she assumes each time the camera comes out it is for her picture so she poses for me. Just like a dame...which she is...
Attached Thumbnails Clear Turn Signals for 3rd Gen 4Runner and 1st Gen Tacoma ARB Bumpers-0615-uro-lights-painted-rims-skidplate-003.jpg   Clear Turn Signals for 3rd Gen 4Runner and 1st Gen Tacoma ARB Bumpers-0615-uro-lights-painted-rims-skidplate-001.jpg   Clear Turn Signals for 3rd Gen 4Runner and 1st Gen Tacoma ARB Bumpers-0615-uro-lights-painted-rims-skidplate-002.jpg  
Old 06-16-2010, 07:54 AM

Nicely done sir. I think your dog may be a better (smarter) assistant than some I've had... and if a knack for encroaching photos is the worst quality she exhibits, you're a lucky man.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Mick! I'm in Atlanta too and would love to compare notes on the ARB and CB stuff...I'm still trying to learn this stuff myself. Thanks to Ron over on T4R for linking this post...otherwise I might have never known about all this good info!
Old 07-24-2010, 06:34 AM

Happy to help out any way I can, feel free to send a PM with any questions you have.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PM sent...thanks!
Old 08-21-2010, 08:37 AM

Anyone who's done this mod to clear turns want to sell their ORANGE LENSES to me?

THANK YOU!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:24 AM

barajag-yes I have the ARB turn signals in Amber. Replied to your post over on T4R as well.

$7.50 +$4.95 US mail shipping seem fair? I can send pics to an email address if you like.