95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cleaning up older SR5 rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 08:04 PM
KLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cleaning up older SR5 rims

Hi all:

Figured this was the best place to ask this. My '87 pickup has the really nice SR5 alloy rims on it, but after 15 years and 155,000 miles, they are looking kinda dingy. The aluminum is not corroded or anything, the worst problem seems to be that the clearcoat layer on them has gotten cloudy and yellowed.

My thoughts are to remove just the clearcoat and re-spray them with some good clear laquer, but I can't find anything that will take off the old coating. I've tried laquer thinner and acetone, but neither of them touch it, they actually make them look worse. I do not want to sand them, as I like the machined factory surface, and do not want them highly polished. I may also spray a dark gray or black paint in the unmachined areas and between the spokes to cover up the slight pitting that is starting.

They currently do not have tires mounted on them, as I got a smokin deal on a set of 5 31" BFG AT KOs the other day, so I'm gonna put these on.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:22 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi Ken, welcome to the forum
Hey, I just happen to have an article linked on my Tips page from my website to Ken's (yourmom on ODW) article from his home page.
Here it is.

He goes into great depth on how to remove the yellowed clear coat and get those SR5 wheels shiny again.

I'm not a fan of clear coated wheels for that reason. Mine are just polished aluminum. They are harder to take care of, but when you shine them, they look pretty darn good.

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/tando/b..._2002/bos4.jpg

He mentions sanding them too, but I bet you could bypass that step once the clearcoat is off, and just use some good alloy polish on them to bring back the luster.
I use Eagle One Billet Polish on my Centerlines as that is what Centerline recommened to me.
Old 06-11-2002, 04:55 AM
KLF

Thanks, Corey:

Yup, ya kinda talked me into coming over here, thought I'd give it a try. I was aware of Ken's write-up, and I've actually seen his wheels in person, they do look great (like his entire truck). But I really don't want the shine and hassle to keep them looking good. I do have a can of BIX stripper in the basement, I guess I'll give it a try, see how it goes. I also may try oven cleaner, although it tends to be better for cleaning nasty greasy stuff like axle housings. Should make it easier to not have tires on them.

These are my summer DD wheels, I also have a set of older chrome SR5 wheels for the salty winter. :mad:
Old 06-11-2002, 09:11 AM

I know Eastwood makes a spray clearcoat for rims..Nylac. Since you don't want the shine, but don't want the high maintainance, try powdercoating. See if they can 'flatten' the gloss on their clear powdercoat. I believe they can do it. It's also very durable as you may know. If you want a different look, instead of using paint remover to strip the old clear off, have the powdercoat shop beadblast 'em. It will have a frosted look that may look kool...like those raw unpolished CL's. Post pics whatever you decide to do. Good luck. Is your name KLF based on that group?...I forget the song, but it really rocked!
butnut
Old 06-11-2002, 09:23 AM
KLF

Powdercoating is WAAAAY too expensive, at least around here. I can't justify paying $50 per wheel. I like these wheels, but not THAT much. :eek: But thanks for the idea. I'll look into the Eastwood stuff, although IMO their products tend to be overpriced. :rolleyes:

Nope, KLF are my initials. I heard the band once. Let's just say they're not my thing.